First off, I know when it was written. Second, I never once said they couldn't. Did I say they couldn't? Nope, not once! I said that they said they wouldn't. And reading comprehension skills would prove that statement correct.

Again, the Canadian government has already said that they will not prevent a take over a RIM. What makes you think they've changed their mind about it? Does the Canadian government need to post monthly statements about if they would allow or block a RIM take over now? I don't think so. In my opinion their first statement was sufficient.
    Ok, you're right, but they would be looking at who would be looking to purchase. In a case like this, I'm sure they would have their say.
    Saiga likes this.
    01-24-13 11:24 AM
    Like you, I had a Lenovo ThinkPad and it was the biggest POS I ever bought. Every part stopped working correctly within a few months.
    01-24-13 11:28 AM
    Ok, you're right, but they would be looking at who would be looking to purchase. In a case like this, I'm sure they would have their say.
    That I can agree with. At the end of the day, we'll never know how the Canadian government will actually react until they're forced to make a decision like that. And I'm sure they'll look out for their interests if that day ever comes.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-24-13 11:29 AM
    Does that actually matter, RIM isn't a US Company.
    01-24-13 11:39 AM
    I agree as IBM is geared more towards the enterprise market like RIM. It's a better match up
    You realize Lenovo is a company making products for enterprise markets, right? And they bought IBM's PC brand.
    01-24-13 11:41 AM
    Yeah sure. Maybe a piece of rim but the Chinese aren't going get their fingers into rims corporate and government customers business. You'd have to be smoking crack to think there is a snowballs chance in **** they get their hands on the certicom portion of the company and their encryption algorithms.
    01-24-13 12:07 PM
    IMO RIM would use Lenovo to build out cheapy BB10's for emerging markets
    01-24-13 12:42 PM
    Why do people continue to repeat comments like this?

The Canadian government has already said that they wont do anything to prevent a take over of RIM.

RIM sale would not be blocked by Ottawa - Business - CBC News
    And why do people keep believing something the government said especially in a news article or to a journalist...
    01-24-13 12:58 PM
    I'm not Canadian, and a lot of the things I buy are made or assembled in China, but I'd hate for a Chinese company to buy RIM. Even as an American I am proud of RIM, and I think it's such a good success story about something so great coming from small beginnings in Canada, and remaining Canadian.

So no thanks, Lenovo.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    01-24-13 01:07 PM
    The day the Canadian government approves selling RIM to a Chinese company is the day pigs fly.
    silversun10 likes this.
    01-24-13 01:08 PM
    . Not to mention the security issue someone mentioned earlier of a Chinese company utilizing the most secure mobile platform in the world (and the NOC)...
    Yah.

China associated in any way with the NOC????

Nah......
    01-24-13 01:15 PM
    As a shareholder, it all depends on the bid. If it is over 30 dollar per share. I will no doubt vote yes.
    01-24-13 01:17 PM
    As a shareholder, it all depends on the bid. If it is over 30 dollar per share. I will no doubt vote yes.
    .....as you wave goodbye to your clients in secure agencies throughout the world....
    SK122387 likes this.
    01-24-13 01:20 PM
    I don't know... from a business standpoint it would seem like a great idea, but personally I would like to see RIM produce their own software and hardware, like they always have.
    01-24-13 01:23 PM

The Canadian government has already said that they wont do anything to prevent a take over of RIM.

That was then, this is now. We all know Gov't officials can be quite fickle. Also, they may say they wouldn't block foreign takeover but they didn't say they won't specify who can takeover RIM, if that ever happens. And if Ottawa won't block it (fools they be), the US gov't most likely will (may not be an American company but US gov't has a lot of interest in RIM).

Whenever one mentions Chinese companies...the first to pop in mind is national security - and rightly so. I am willing to go out on a limb to say that there is not a single large Chinese company that doesn't have the Communist Chinese government pulling the strings from behind. There is no such thing as real private companies over there. I, for one, do not in the least like the idea of any Chinese company associating in any major way with RIM or BB - be it hardware only or what not (Sure they can make the accessories like chargers, etc. but that's far enough).

Some may like Lenovo but I am not one of them. Personally, I find Lenovo products to be low quality and not worth the price it demands. I know several people who had bought Lenovo laptops and then greatly regret it later. To have Lenovo make the hardware for RIM will mean a great drop in the quality we are used to seeing (and expecting) with BB hardware. I'm not one to be loyal to any brand or company but this one time I do hope that RIM will continue to remain Canadian and will succeed!
    01-24-13 01:24 PM

If a Chinese company, really a proxy for the Government of China, buys Research In Motion I will dump my BlackBerry smartphones and tablets in a heartbeat. I only bought BlackBerry because it is 100% Canadian. The government knows Canadians would not tolerate the sale of Research In Motion to any foreign company or government. One of the great things about the location of the federal government in Canada is the fact the parliament buildings where the politicians 'work' are situated near the edge of very steep cliffs overlooking the Ottawa River. A revolution to purge the Government only needs to march the politicians to the edge of the cliff and force them to step-off and plunge to their death in the fast-moving, icy cold river many metres below. No gunshot need be fired.
    01-24-13 01:40 PM
    So now there is a statement from the Canadian government saying that they would block a take over of RIM? Crazy, I missed that one.

What's really bad is people spread that "Canada wont let so and so company buy RIM" idea around so much that the Canadian government finally had to step up and put those rumors to end by releasing a statement. Now, less than a year later and people are still spreading it.

When has Canada said that they would block a purchase of RIM? Are there any links for that statement from the Canadian government? Cause I can't find one.
    01-24-13 01:43 PM
    The day the Canadian government approves selling RIM to a Chinese company is the day pigs fly.
    You have seen the GEICO television advertisement about "the day pig's fly" right?

01-24-13 01:44 PM
    RIM shares rise on report of Lenovo takeover interest - Business - CBC News

An outright takeover would face considerable hurdles. BlackBerries are used by the U.S. military, which raises questions about the willingness of the Americans to have RIM’s technology come under Chinese ownership. RIM CEO Thorsten Heins has also said he is reluctant to expand in China, expressing concerns about protecting the security of its networks. The Canadian government has said in the past it would prefer that RIM remain a Canadian company and would conduct any bid to a review to determine if it was of "net benefit" to Canada.

Well there you go. Possible takeover? Yes, it's possible... Probable? Doesn't look like it
    01-24-13 02:14 PM
    AAARGHHH!!!

I really, REALLY wish both the press and the community could see an off-handed comment by an executive, be it Thorsten or anyone else, and avoid this kind of rampant speculation. The comment from Lenovo's CFO could mean so many different things it's close to meaningless.

1) I strongly doubt Lenovo would/could buy RIM. If the NOC fell into Chinese hands pretty much every corporate customer would stampede to a new platform. As soon as humanly possible.

2) Yes, Lenovo could buy RIM's hardware division. Definitely somewhat more possible than an outright buyout, especially if RIM retained NOC.

3) My own personal favorite: Lenovo might license BB10. This makes more sense than many might think; Lenovo is doing well in China with Android, but may not want to **** heads with Samsung in Western markets. If they were to license BB10 it would give them a distinct product.
    01-24-13 02:20 PM
    Lenovo isn't big enough to take all of RIM. It also completely destroys their reputation for enterprise and governement overnight. Simply not happening.

On the other hand if they wanted just the hardware division that would make a lot more sense. Lenovo obviously has a precedent in buying out the hardware business of IBM in 2005. But that gave them branding, exposure and design concepts. I'm not really sure if buying RIMs hardware division makes sense since they are already established as Lenovo, but perhaps for the IP and design concepts it might make sense at the right price.

However, more recently Lenovo has stated they intend to make purchases in IT services and software. They followed that up by buying two software companies. I'm not sure they would be looking at the hardware business, but you never know.

One thing is for sure. If they are looking at the software side it isn't happening. Perhaps a JV with RIM has been discussed but I'm not sure what would be in it for Lenovo except for exclusivity and typically you wouldn't make that decision on a platform that hasn't even been launched yet unless RIM was the one offering cash a la Microsoft to Nokia.
    Your attempting to say that the country of China cannot afford to buy all of RIM? You need to see who is a major player with Lenovo.

If they want it they could get it. With little work.

I could think of a few more palatable suitors.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    01-24-13 03:11 PM
    This could be a disaster for Rim, and almost the worst possible news at this moment. What gov't or enterprise buyer will be looking for a BB10 phone now that Rim is being mooted for sale to a Chinese company? What gov't will trust its phone network security to a Chinese firm that is susceptible to Chinese gov't meddling, a gov't well known for its industrial espionage?
    nnomad likes this.
    01-24-13 03:30 PM
    I think a partnership would be awesome for both Lenovo and RIM. Bring it on.
    what do you think stock would hit if that happens, lol.

personally. i would love a lenovo laptop with BB10 os... Lenovo makes great laptops that actually LAST
    01-24-13 03:38 PM
    +1
    They could also potentially break into the desktop computing market with Lenovo producing the hardware
    I'm not a fan of Lenovo products but I could see RIM moving into something with desktops. Since the BB10 browser is suppose to be so great they need to put it on desktops then start moving to other things. Maybe RIM could make a better email for computers.
    01-24-13 03:47 PM
    So now there is a statement from the Canadian government saying that they would block a take over of RIM? Crazy, I missed that one.

What's really bad is people spread that "Canada wont let so and so company buy RIM" idea around so much that the Canadian government finally had to step up and put those rumors to end by releasing a statement. Now, less than a year later and people are still spreading it.

When has Canada said that they would block a purchase of RIM? Are there any links for that statement from the Canadian government? Cause I can't find one.
    with the Nexen buyout by CNOOC the govt issued current guidelines, and if you go by that it will be obvious that Canada will only approve deals that are in the interest of
    Canada..............and a China buyout is only in the interest of the Chinese and perhaps in the interest of some short sighted traders in RIM stock
    01-24-13 03:48 PM
71 123