In my country the answer is No. We recently had a Bill that would allow the prosecution of movie piraters but it was rejected in Parliament.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:32 AM
    Yes I did involve open systems but, but the point I was trying to put across is that BlackBerry can't necessarily be blamed for making it too easy to pirate apps in the court of law, as other systems make it even easier than it is with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Most android devices require root, and sometimes (not all) require an unlocked bootloader and/or another rom.

Many android oems are actively making it super difficult to unlock the bootloader - many hoops are required. Though for some devices it is as simple as signing into the oem website.

Wp8 is impossible to crack - for now.

Ios requires a jailbreak - simple to do - though took them cloose to nine months to figure it out fully. But even then, actually getting apps on the phone can be a pain, unless you go the cydia route - a legitimate storefront, requiring payment etc.

BlackBerry 10? A chrome extension or xsacha. Easy as pie.

What's the easiest platform, to get pirated stuff on?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    monil11 and Etios like this.
    08-05-13 11:37 AM
    Lets not get TOO crazy on the moral issue here. And/Or remember to discuss this civilly. Even if someone has a different option than yours it's no less valid. You CAN disagree withOUT being disagreeable. If you know what I mean. So far we are ok, BUT I can see tempers flaring up on this REAL quick. Lets NOT let that happen!

First of all pkcable I like you as a mod, I think you have a great outlook, and you're perfect to be doing what you do... That being said this is a forum board, what confuses me is this...
    The original poster in the original post came here with a question: "Is it legal to side load apps?"
    There question was answer: "Unequivocally yes"

Some people were wrong. Dead wrong factually, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them, they are wrong. We are discussing stolen intellectual property here. I have IP, I filed for my first patent years ago when I was a kid, and it was granted to me in the U.S. then various European countries. Now I've given away most of my rights to any IP I had, mostly to government organizations and private companies so they could take it, use it, and help people in this world... And ya know I don't take kindly to those who feel it's alright to steal, this is a moral issue, you probably don't officially have an IP, and that's fine, but respect us who do or have, and don't discount the work that we've done in our real lives to help others. If I actually knew you, this would be insulting to me, but I don't so I figure you're doing your best in a really sticky thread here.

So, why is this thread not locked? Question was posed, answer was given, now we have people running around completely not bringing morals into this discussion because you said we shouldn't? Sure, it's sideloading an app, who's it going to hurt? How disappointing CrackBerry supports this kind of discussion here. If someone wishes to discuss sideloading as a developers' tool, I'll oblige, but discussing it in this manner? I see what some members of the CrackBerry community support now... and those members, I do not stand behind...
    08-05-13 11:37 AM
    In my country the answer is No. We recently had a Bill that would allow the prosecution of movie piraters but it was rejected in Parliament.

Posted via CB10
    Guess what I'm Canadian too buddy, and yes you can be prosecuted. Btw, Canada is part of INTERPOL, so we're still subject to international laws.

And to say that you won't be pursued is ********

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right...172625021.html
    08-05-13 11:38 AM
    Yes I did involve open systems but, but the point I was trying to put across is that BlackBerry can't necessarily be blamed for making it too easy to pirate apps in the court of law, as other systems make it even easier than it is with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    The part of the blame that lies with blackberry is making it easy to move apps from one closed ecosystem to another. It wasn't an inherently malicious decision either, it was designed for devs. The problem is, people have taken it and made it malicious by using it for reasons outside of the original scope. That's the problem that they have to fix.
    08-05-13 11:39 AM
    Copyright Act:
    "A public performance or display of a work does not of itself constitute publication."
    That's correct, but copyright law doesn't only protect publication. It extends to performance and distribution. In any case, the analogy with software fails at this point, since with software the copyright holder has the right to control distribution. The YouTube analogy was only to make the point that my performance of a cover, when published on YouTube, results in YouTube, not just the individual uploader, inheriting a legal obligation. Publishing covers on YouTube is, in fact, distributing music without the permission of the copyright holder. BlackBerry doesn't actually distribute sideloaded apps, true enough, but by creating a system for doing so, they inherit some legal responsibility too.

Sideloading is for developers. It wouldn't be crazy for BlackBerry to be required to make a good faith effort to ensure that only developers are doing it. I hope it doesn't happen, since I use a couple of sideloaded apps, but my guess is that it will happen eventually.
    08-05-13 11:44 AM
    First of all pkcable I like you as a mod, I think you have a great outlook, and you're perfect to be doing what you do... That being said this is a forum board, what confuses me is this...
    The original poster in the original post came here with a question: "Is it legal to side load apps?"
    There question was answer: "Unequivocally yes"

Some people were wrong. Dead wrong factually, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them, they are wrong. We are discussing stolen intellectual property here. I have IP, I filed for my first patent years ago when I was a kid, and it was granted to me in the U.S. then various European countries. Now I've given away most of my rights to any IP I had, mostly to government organizations and private companies so they could take it, use it, and help people in this world... And ya know I don't take kindly to those who feel it's alright to steal, this is a moral issue, you probably don't officially have an IP, and that's fine, but respect us who do or have, and don't discount the work that we've done in our real lives to help others. If I actually knew you, this would be insulting to me, but I don't so I figure you're doing your best in a really sticky thread here.

So, why is this thread not locked? Question was posed, answer was given, now we have people running around completely not bringing morals into this discussion because you said we shouldn't? Sure, it's sideloading an app, who's it going to hurt? How disappointing CrackBerry supports this kind of discussion here. If someone wishes to discuss sideloading as a developers' tool, I'll oblige, but discussing it in this manner? I see what some members of the CrackBerry community support now... and those members, I do not stand behind...
    Do you need to edit or are you saying it's legal to sideload?
    08-05-13 11:44 AM
    Buy BeMaps10, you'll get amazing google maps.

As for the other apps, if they're needed that badly, buy a cheap droid phone, or a ipod. There are other alternatives besides pirating someone elses work.
    As I mentioned in another thread I have sideloaded some apps but were not that happy with the way some of them worked on BB10. I went out and bought a Nexus 7 to use the android apps that I had sideloaded and to access others that are not available in App World. It's a win win solution, I don't have to use apps that may or may not be legal and they honestly work better on the Nexus than they did on BB10. I would never give up BB10, but it's a legal, good solution to fill in the app gap for me. Honestly I don't think the numbers are that big for most apps that have been sideloaded. With the exception of something like Instagram, how many people need Bank of America or Chase? I think those would be a low number in the bigger scheme of things and not worth the Dev's time to pursue
    08-05-13 11:48 AM
    You are profiting from it.

"Profit - to gain an advantage or benefit"

To profit from something doesn't just mean to make money off of it. You are profiting (benefiting) off of every app that is illegally ported to the BB Android Runtime without express permission of the IP owner.

Many people do consider it stealing but it is definitely not illegal unless you profit from it yourself.
    08-05-13 11:51 AM
    I think this is like a double edge sword.
    On one hand, BlackBerry wants their customers to have and earn the experience of android apps in BB10.
    And on another, BlackBerry allowed android runtime so that we sideload more apps from play store. In other words, this is what BlackBerry could be telling the android developers;
    'many BB users are illegally converted your apps into their device. And you don't earn a cent from their using of your apps, therefore, if you want to make more money, come and port your apps so that these people can have your apps and you can earn more income from BB users.'

Just my two cents.
    08-05-13 11:52 AM
    As I mentioned in another thread I have sideloaded some apps but were not that happy with the way some of them worked on BB10. I went out and bought a Nexus 7 to use the android apps that I had sideloaded and to access others that are not available in App World. It's a win win solution, I don't have to use apps that may or may not be legal and they honestly work better on the Nexus than they did on BB10. I would never give up BB10, but it's a legal, good solution to fill in the app gap for me.
    Good post! Precisely why I have a GS4 - the apps, and for openvpn use.

08-05-13 11:54 AM
    When I sideloaded Audible, I emailed them a screenshot and I described exactly what I had done. I even asked whether they had a problem with this. My reason for doing so was twofold: First, I wanted to make the point that the app could easily be ported to BB World now, without need for a lot of costly development. Second, I wanted to give them the opportunity to tell me not to do this. Granted, my email probably didn't get to anyone in a position to make policy decisions, but I made the effort. If they had replied telling me not to do this, I would have uninstalled Audible. The only reply I got was a thanks, we'll pass this along to our developer team.

So I don't feel too bad about using Audible, and since I'm spending money buying audiobooks, they probably aren't too unhappy either.
    moody likes this.
    08-05-13 11:56 AM
    Do you need to edit or are you saying it's legal to sideload?
    I don't think he would have said "We are discussing stolen intellectual property here" if he thought sideloading was legal..
    08-05-13 11:56 AM
    I think this is like a double edge sword.
    On one hand, BlackBerry wants their customers to have and earn the experience of android apps in BB10.
    And on another, BlackBerry allowed android runtime so that we sideload more apps from play store. In other words, this is what BlackBerry could be telling the android developers;
    'many BB users are illegally converted your apps into their device. And you don't earn a cent from their using of your apps, therefore, if you want to make more money, come and port your apps so that these people can have your apps and you can earn more income from BB users.'

Just my two cents.
    First, BlackBerry never allowed the runtime for US to sideload. They advocate it's piracy, as much as it is us running a leaked OS. Sure it may be official software from BlackBerry, but it is something they did not intend for the general public to use.

Posted via CB10
    mikeo007 likes this.
    08-05-13 11:58 AM
    Most android devices require root, and sometimes (not all) require an unlocked bootloader and/or another rom.

Many android oems are actively making it super difficult to unlock the bootloader - many hoops are required. Though for some devices it is as simple as signing into the oem website.

Wp8 is impossible to crack - for now.

Ios requires a jailbreak - simple to do - though took them cloose to nine months to figure it out fully. But even then, actually getting apps on the phone can be a pain, unless you go the cydia route - a legitimate storefront, requiring payment etc.

BlackBerry 10? A chrome extension or xsacha. Easy as pie.

What's the easiest platform, to get pirated stuff on?

HAHAHA!! Good one. And the answer to your question is Android. Let me tell you why.

1. Android DOES NOT require root to install files from the internet (songs, movies, apps or any other type of file). The built in download manager does that quite well.
    2. To install apps that do not come from the play store you know what they need to do? Check a box in settings which says something along the lines of 'allow installation of apps from sources other than play store.' No xsacha method, no chrome extension, no debug token, no other device required. It can all be done through the Android device itself by checking a box.

Hope you learned something new!
    Eskibo likes this.
    08-05-13 12:02 PM
    So when I loaded Android onto my Touchpad which it was never designed for and devs never envisioned their apps running on is that considered stealing too?

Devs can either make their apps available through official paths or I'll make it available myself. I have a valid android device id that I use to download the apps.
    08-05-13 12:04 PM
    So when I loaded Android onto my Touchpad which it was never designed for and devs never envisioned their apps running on is that considered stealing too?
    Android is open source; the apps aren't.
    Acidwire, mikeo007 and Etios like this.
    08-05-13 12:06 PM
    Which raises the question, why does CB condone it? Going as far as to actually recommend it and post instructions on the front page...

First, BlackBerry never allowed the runtime for US to sideload. They advocate it's piracy, as much as it is us running a leaked OS. Sure it may be official software from BlackBerry, but it is something they did not intend for the general public to use.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 12:26 PM
    HAHAHA!! Good one. And the answer to your question is Android. Let me tell you why.

1. Android DOES NOT require root to install files from the internet (songs, movies, apps or any other type of file). The built in download manager does that quite well.
    2. To install apps that do not come from the play store you know what they need to do? Check a box in settings which says something along the lines of 'allow installation of apps from sources other than play store.' No xsacha method, no chrome extension, no debug token, no other device required. It can all be done through the Android device itself by checking a box.

Hope you learned something new!
    I certainly couldn't, with android 4.2.2 and touchwiz on my GS4 - unless I missed something obvious (very possible). I simply didn't have that option - I have never seen it in any Jelly Bean phone.

That's why I went to the trouble of getting paranoid android on the device. All for a specific openvpn app created by the fine gents at tomato. What phone do you have? What am I missing? I'm being given a G Note II to play with, again, and I'm not one for messing around - it would be useful to know where that option is hiding!!!

Of course, with paranoid android - yes, double click an apk, in the file manager, and you're done.
    But that's after all the grunt work I mentioned ;-)

08-05-13 12:27 PM
    Which raises the question, why does CB condone it? Going as far as to actually recommend it and post instructions on the front page...
    It's hard not to talk about what users complain about on the forums.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 12:32 PM
    Since you all are so interested in what is legal and what isn't, I would suggest that those of you in the US take a look at US Federal Law and notice that it is illegal to install an OS on your BB that is not provided by the carrier you purchased your phone from.
    08-05-13 12:39 PM

Devs can either make their apps available through official paths or I'll make it available myself. I have a valid android device id that I use to download the apps.
    I've got a touchpad too! :-)

Have to say, android on that device is a blessing! Really got some good use of of that thing. I know the device was meant to use webos but I got it dirt cheap (here in the uk) and android gave it some legs. And I have to sign in with a Google email, and have access to play, and pay for apps, as required.

It was a good experience, for that device.

08-05-13 12:39 PM
    I certainly couldn't, with android 4.2.2 and touchwiz on my GS4 - unless I missed something obvious (very possible). I simply didn't have that option - I have never seen it in any Jelly Bean phone.

That's why I went to the trouble of getting paranoid android on the device. All for a specific openvpn app created by the fine gents at tomato. What phone do you have? What am I missing? I'm being given a G Note II to play with, again, and I'm not one for messing around - it would be useful to know where that option is hiding!!!

Of course, with paranoid android - yes, double click an apk, in the file manager, and you're done.

Menu - Settings - Security - Unknown Sources.

It's there in every Android device. Including the S4 with Jellybean.

SwiftKeyed via my GS4.
    08-05-13 12:44 PM

its under security in the device settings

to the guy that brought it up: that option is a dev option designed to let devs push an older version of an app to a customer who prefers the older interface or may be experiencing trouble with their phone model and the updated app, its used to test devs apps before uploading to the market, its used for devs who distribute their apps through xda (forums) or email aswell as the app store, for devs whose apps arent approved for use in the google play store (f droid, ad blocker apps), for use of the amazon app store, getjar, gameloft and probably the samsung app store, its used for people making a manual back up of their phone so that apps like titanium backup can reinstall all your downloaded and purchased apps and data files onto a new phone without you having to re-download from the app store individually which id imagine is slow and a pain in the *** if you have lots of apps and dont want to lose your saved game progress and have to start from scratch. just like blackberry however some people choose to use it for their own benefit but android/google doesnt condone apk piracy and neither do any of their fan websites, they also dont sponge other ecosystems apps
    08-05-13 12:50 PM
    its under security in the device settings

to the guy that brought it up: that option is a dev option designed to let devs push an older version of an app to a customer who prefers the older interface or may be experiencing trouble with their phone model and the updated app, its used to test devs apps before uploading to the market, its used for devs who distribute their apps through xda (forums) or email aswell as the app store, for devs whose apps arent approved for use in the google play store (f droid, ad blocker apps), for use of the amazon app store, getjar, gameloft and probably the samsung app store, its used for people making a manual back up of their phone so that apps like titanium backup can reinstall all your downloaded and purchased apps and data files onto a new phone without you having to re-download from the app store individually which id imagine is slow and a pain in the *** if you have lots of apps and dont want to lose your saved game progress and have to start from scratch. just like blackberry however some people choose to use it for their own benefit but android/google doesnt condone apk piracy and neither do any of their fan websites, they also dont sponge other ecosystems apps
    LOL... just try going to XDA and talk about pirated apps. It gets very, very ugly.

The Android development community is harsh towards piracy.
    Acidwire likes this.
    08-05-13 01:01 PM
118 ... 2345