Menu - Settings - Security - Unknown Sources.

It's there in every Android device. Including the S4 with Jellybean.

SwiftKeyed via my GS4.
    LOL - oh man oh man oh man!

I hate my phone! Entirely it's fault.

Soooo... guess android is the easiest on the list.

Can you side load on wp8 too?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    08-05-13 01:01 PM
    LOL... just try going to XDA and talk about pirated apps. It gets very, very ugly.

The Android development community is harsh towards piracy.
    That's very true.

They are a helpful bunch though, most of the time...

08-05-13 01:03 PM
    I certainly couldn't, with android 4.2.2 and touchwiz on my GS4 - unless I missed something obvious (very possible). I simply didn't have that option - I have never seen it in any Jelly Bean phone.

That's why I went to the trouble of getting paranoid android on the device. All for a specific openvpn app created by the fine gents at tomato. What phone do you have? What am I missing? I'm being given a G Note II to play with, again, and I'm not one for messing around - it would be useful to know where that option is hiding!!!

Of course, with paranoid android - yes, double click an apk, in the file manager, and you're done.
    But that's after all the grunt work I mentioned ;-)

Im using a galaxy note 2 aswell, as my second phone. The setting Im talking about comes stock with all Android phones with no modification needed. Go to settings -> security, under the device administration tab it says 'allow installation of apps from sources other than the play store'. Checking this simple option allows you practice all the piracy of apps you want on your phone. When you download a pirated (or any) apk off the internet and try to install it, the phone even prompts you and takes you to this setting if it isnt checked.

Rooting on the other hand give you access to much deeper level system code. Rooting is not needed to enable piracy. It is needed to fully run some apps like titanium back up for example as it requires deeper system access. It enables you to use Roms, different bootloaders and other such things. Also from the general trends I have noticed 'Root' is nowhere near as difficult to achieve as a jailbreaking iOS devices and is usually achieved in a matter of days for any new phone. Rooting is also much less frowned upon by Google than jailbreaking is by Apple.

Update: Just checked, and there is an app called OpenVPN in play store by 'ARNE SCHWABE' and as the description mentioned it doesnt require Root. Maybe that could fit your need.
    08-05-13 01:05 PM
    LOL... just try going to XDA and talk about pirated apps. It gets very, very ugly.

The Android development community is harsh towards piracy.
    haha true, youd be staring at the business end of a ban and your *** through your mouth

from their forum rules which is an appropriate statement for this thread too

6. Do not post warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, then pay for it. We do not accept warez nor do we permit any member to request, promote or describe ways in which Warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained. This is a site of developers, i.e. the sort of people who create such software. When you cheat a software developer, you cheat us as a community
    08-05-13 01:06 PM
    So bbry users are delegated steelers now since it's the only way to get apps people want. Doubt anyone will get arrested.
    That depends on several factors...
    Google could make architectural changes the prevent the Android Runtime/Dalvik VM running Android apps on BB10 - they've already prevented apps bought via the Play Store to be updated from outside the Play Store but that doesn't prevent people from installing apps they get from other sources.

Sideloading Android apps onto BB10 is software piracy unless the original Dev consents.
    08-05-13 01:06 PM
    side load is a good evil
    08-05-13 01:10 PM
    it keeps our Apps story happy happy,side load story i mean
    08-05-13 01:11 PM
    Sideloading creates a derivative work. Only the copyright owner (with the exception of fair use) has the exclusive right to create a derivative work. Put whatever gloss you want on sideloading, it's an illegal use of IP without express permission.

Now, whether the owner of a free app would actually care is debatable assuming it works as advertised and they receive any revenue they are entitled to.
    mikeo007, Etios, ubizmo and 2 others like this.
    08-05-13 01:22 PM
    So if you download an apk from somewhere other then the Play store and install it on an android device which is allowed by just unchecking a box in settings then what is this considered?

What if you use apk leecher which downloads directly from the Play store?
    08-05-13 01:28 PM
    Was it distributed by the original content owner OR an approved distributor for installation onto a supported device?

So if you download an apk from somewhere other then the Play store and install it on an android device which is allowed by just unchecking a box in settings then what is that considered?

08-05-13 01:30 PM
    LOL - oh man oh man oh man!

I hate my phone! Entirely it's fault.

Soooo... guess android is the easiest on the list.

Can you side load on wp8 too?

Nop cant side load on WP8, I looked into it back when I was using Lumia 920 for a little while. There fore I think it is the safest against piracy (of apps that is) from all relevant mobile platforms today.
    08-05-13 01:32 PM
    Was it distributed by the original content owner?
    APK leecher downloads the apk directly from the play store. There is also a chrome extensions that will do the same by just browsing the official Play store through a browser.

I say if you download from the official Play store which these methods do then it's fine to sideload onto BB10 because the same thing is possible on Android. The only question would be converting it to a bar file.
    08-05-13 01:32 PM
    Im using a galaxy note 2 aswell, as my second phone. The setting Im talking about comes stock with all Android phones with no modification needed. Go to settings -> security, under the device administration tab it says 'allow installation of apps from sources other than the play store'. Checking this simple option allows you practice all the piracy of apps you want on your phone. When you download a pirated (or any) apk off the internet and try to install it, the phone even prompts you and takes you to this setting if it isnt checked.

Rooting on the other hand give you access to much deeper level system code. Rooting is not needed to enable piracy. It is needed to fully run some apps like titanium back up for example as it requires deeper system access. It enables you to use Roms, different bootloaders and other such things. Also from the general trends I have noticed 'Root' is nowhere near as difficult to achieve as a jailbreaking iOS devices and is usually achieved in a matter of days for any new phone. Rooting is also much less frowned upon by Google than jailbreaking is by Apple.

Update: Just checked, and there is an app called OpenVPN in play store by 'ARNE SCHWABE' and as the description mentioned it doesnt require Root. Maybe that could fit your need.
    LOL

Yeah - that is how to install apks - I went the LONG way round. Silly me.

And yes, I'm aware of that app - I needed to install a custom apk. And I did install it the LONG way round.

Man - I need to read more. Can't believe I missed that - so obvious. I think my little grey cells have gone on a vacance!

08-05-13 01:33 PM
    Do the TOS for the playstore allow that kind of access by 3rd party "leeher" apps? Probably not... does the IP owner allow modification, for example from apk to bar? Probably not...

APK leecher downloads the apk directly from the play store. There is also a chrome extensions that will do the same by just browsing the official Play store through a browser.
    mikeo007 and Etios like this.
    08-05-13 01:34 PM
    So if you download an apk from somewhere other then the Play store and install it on an android device which is allowed by just unchecking a box in settings then what is this considered?

Depends, Android allows for multiple source of app downloads. So it all depends on wether or not the source you download it from is legal. Amazon app store, Samsung store and other such stores are legal. A dev posting their app directly through their website is legal. Websites that offer apks without developers consent are illegal.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    08-05-13 01:36 PM
    Nop cant side load on WP8, I looked into it back when I was using Lumia 920 for a little while. There fore I think it is the safest against piracy (of apps that is) from all relevant mobile platforms today.
    The nokia lumia 1020 looks really tasty, to me. It's the app situation that has prevented me looking into that platform, in much detail.

I guess MS have locked that os down due to it linking to other devices, like the live account, for xbox360.

I guess BlackBerry could implement a lockdown, if they wanted to.

08-05-13 01:38 PM
    LOL

Yeah - that is how to install apks - I went the LONG way round. Silly me.

And yes, I'm aware of that app - I needed to install a custom apk. And I did install it the LONG way round.

Man - I need to read more. Can't believe I missed that - so obvious. I think my little grey cells have gone on a vacance!

Dont beat yourself up. Alteast now you know
    08-05-13 01:39 PM
    Ok I think this thread has run it course. A question was asked and has been answered. Yes it's illegal, and yes people are still going to do it despite this.

So lets.....

08-05-13 01:42 PM
118 ... 345