i'm aware of the few tether for free apps out there, but i dont want to ever worry about being slammed with tos violation consequences or large surprise bills. i've searched the fine print on many carrier websites and can easily find data plan rates but no mention of tethering rates.

having been on nearly every u.s. carrier over the years i realize they all suck equally in terms of customer care; and having the broadest coverage isnt as important to me now as is being able to have the most flexibility for the lowest cost.

i would like to know what carriers rape their customers the least. i'm looking for a list of carriers, if any, that allow free tethering with blackberries and/or any smart phone.

and if there is no free tethering... is there any way to make blackberry display on a monitor? i'm still fairly new to blackberry and must admit i'm a bit miffed when it comes to its sole proprietary micro usb like port.

sorry for the long winded post but this is the first year i've bothered to allow texting on my phone and was kinda shocked that verizon (and maybe everyone) would actually charge extra for text messaging on a blackberry when already paying extra 30 for data and seperate for phone while wanting more for tethering. i mean i understand capitalism but damn.

i've always felt data is data is data... and the way i'd use tethering is just basically displaying on a bigger screen what i'd be doing on the berry.

so reminder of the point... any free tethering carriers out there?

~b~
    12-28-09 08:38 AM
    just to clarify, texting is not data it's voice-related so that's why it is not included in the data costs.

with that, I don't think there is any service that legally allows free tethering. Some of them have tethering plans (like Verizon, for example) you can add to your phone above the data cost, but you can't get it for nothing.

I also don't think a monitor display is possible, unless there was some kind of hookup through micro USB to the screen.
    12-28-09 08:40 AM
    AFAIK free tethering is a thing of the past (legally, that is.) MicroUSB is going to largely become industry standard I believe. RIM made it standard across their line so you don't have to spend $30 on a charger or USB cable every time you get a new phone. I actually like that.

There are a number of screen capture programs available (see Mobiola if you're using a PC) that will output your BB to your computer monitor. If you wanted to see it bigger than that you could connect your PC to your TV, and the output would display there.
    12-28-09 08:43 AM
    T-Mobile allows tethering for no extra charge on their blackberry data plan.
    12-28-09 09:20 AM
    tethering is what? new at this.
    12-28-09 09:27 AM
    tethering is what? new at this.
    Tethering is using your Blackberry as a modem to get your laptop on the internet.
    12-28-09 09:31 AM
    ok, tahnks
    12-28-09 09:59 AM
    Tethering is allowed for no extra charges on T-mobile. If you have the latest desktop manager software there is a very convenient feature to set up the tethering for you on your laptop.

Just don't call T-Mobile customer care for support, they will just direct you to T-Mobile forums to get help
    12-28-09 10:02 AM
    i would like to know what carriers r*p* their customers the least. i'm looking for a list of carriers, if any, that allow free tethering with blackberries and/or any smart phone.
    Do men really not understand how offensive the 'r' word is? Could you not have made your argument without using that word?

To answer the question, I believe T-Mobile is the only major US carrier that still allows tethering without an additional charge.
    12-28-09 11:46 AM
    Do men really not understand how offensive the 'r' word is? Could you not have made your argument without using that word?
    no, most dont; and yes, i could have.

believe it or not i actually debated between using a few other choice words and phrases, then opted for that one thinking it the least offensive word that maintained the level of poignancy i was looking for.

trying also to avoid profanity (and hopefully appear somewhat more intelligent) i decided against using the old standards "F--k" and "F--k over"

tho accurate but somewhat less poignant i could have (and maybe should have) used words like violate, abuse, or shaft.

even more accurate yet even less poignant i could have used words like fleece, con, leech, drain, exploit, rob, gouge, overcharge, rip off, swindle, exploit, take to the cleaners, gyp, bamboozle, bleed, milk and many others.

bacically i just wanted to express how i feel that the carriers can and do take advantage of us whenever, wherever and however they can.

ultimately tho i would like to apologize to you, and assure everyone i never meant any offense to women. if i had it to do over again, i would use the phrase "a$$ rape" so as to offend everyone equally.

~b~
    12-28-09 05:24 PM

believe it or not i actually debated between using a few other choice words and phrases, then opted for that one thinking it the least offensive word that maintained the level of poignancy i was looking for.

trying also to avoid profanity (and hopefully appear somewhat more intelligent) i decided against using the old standards "F--k" and "F--k over"

tho accurate but somewhat less poignant i could have (and maybe should have) used words like violate, abuse, or shaft.

even more accurate yet even less poignant i could have used words like fleece, con, leech, drain, exploit, rob, gouge, overcharge, rip off, swindle, exploit, take to the cleaners, gyp, bamboozle, bleed, milk and many others.

bacically i just wanted to express how i feel that the carriers can and do take advantage of us whenever, wherever and however they can.

ultimately tho i would like to apologize to you, and assure everyone i never meant any offense to women. if i had it to do over again, i would use the phrase "a$$ rape" so as to offend everyone equally.

~b~

BAHAHA~ ur my kinda guy~

FK being politically correct.. if it offends you then suck it up and move on! This is the inernet and by all means you DONT have to keep your mouse pointed @ any given place @ any given time..
    12-28-09 05:39 PM
    Since upgrading to 419 on my 9530, for whatever the reason when I bring up the desktop application I now get the IP modem icon. It used to never show. It appears that it will allow me to connect as well. Wouldn't I need to have Verizon allow me access for it to work? I haven't played around with it any, since I didn't want to rack up a bunch of charges. I didn't know how Verizon would know the difference between that (tethering) and my regular data usage.
    12-29-09 01:39 PM

~b~
    I love that rapier wit of yours. (Note: I said RAPIER)
    12-29-09 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD