No sir, i haven't . But i don't think moving backwards is something a company in bad times should do
    Ah, so then you have no idea what "moving backwards" even means beyond having the latest slick piece of glass to show off at the coffee shop.

Ask Coca Cola how "moving forward" worked out for them. Ask them how many "new Coke's" they are selling. Changing aspects of your product purely for the sake of change isn't always the best move. BlackBerry finally has someone in the corner office that actually recognizes that many of it's customers think this way.
    04-13-14 07:38 AM
    Ah, so then you have no idea what "moving backwards" even means beyond having the latest slick piece of glass to show off at the coffee shop.

Ask Coca Cola how "moving forward" worked out for them. Ask them how many "new Coke's" they are selling. Changing aspects of your product purely for the sake of change isn't always the best move. BlackBerry finally has someone in the corner office that actually recognizes that many of it's customers think this way.
    According to you,
    -Do you think blackberry should ever make transition from legacy to BB10, completely?(kill legacy) or make OS8 or something
    -If yes, what exactly should the point when they do it?
    -if not, then should they kill BB10?
    04-13-14 07:43 AM
    Abandon something that is presently bringing them a decent chunk of profitability? No, BB10 may be superior but it's not got the saturation that BBOS has over it's many years on the market. If it's true they are outselling BB10 devices with legacy at this point, don't you think they should hold on to it until it's no longer profitable? BlackBerry doesn't exactly have the money or size to just ditch it on the spot.
    Rootbrian and acovey like this.
    04-13-14 07:43 AM
    Maybe Blackberry needs a new Steve Jobs now
    Not even Steve Job could do anything at this point. Time is what BB need which is running out. The company made a calculative risk to launch touch screen device first thinking 95% of the consumer markets are into touch screen. I'm not sure even with a more mature OS 10.2.2 we have now would have made that much of a difference. Instead BB confuse the heck out of it's user base, especially it's business customers. Now they are going back to basic and focus on getting back their enterprise customers. At least in North America and the G8 markets.
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 07:48 AM
    I think in the next year or so, and this is based on whether the z3 is a successful product and gets BlackBerry OS10 established in the developing countries. Only then, phasing out the older legacy platform should be looked into.

I know I am going to get hammered and bashed by the BlackBerry faithful,but supporting two OS platforms is a large and expensive task. Sooner or later, your going to have to settle on a single OS platform in this highly competitive market we have today.

Forget how we did things in the past, the bad decisions made in the past is why we are in the current situation we are today?

What I would be doing on the software side would be seeing what I could take out of the older legacy OS and implement some of those features into OS10 to keep the faithful happy.

The will only allow the company to reduce costs and focus on a single platform which will make everyone's job allot simpler in the long run, just my two cents.

Sent from z30 on T Mobile USA 10.2.1.2160
    anon8091350 and acovey like this.
    04-13-14 07:50 AM
    According to you,
    -Do you think blackberry should ever make transition from legacy to BB10, completely?(kill legacy) or make OS8 or something
    -If yes, what exactly should the point when they do it?
    -if not, then should they kill BB10?

Of course I think it should eventually transition. But that could be a long time away. OS8 is pointless....just make OS10 include the features that were stripped away from OS7. You don't need to make a another new product to make up for the other new product. Just fix the first new product.

As far as when they do it (transition away from legacy).........ask any first day business student that question. The answer is: whenever it stops selling. Especially when it stops being their number one selling handset.
    acovey and anon(8063781) like this.
    04-13-14 07:50 AM
    Of course I think it should eventually transition. But that could be a long time away. OS8 is pointless....just make OS10 include the features that were stripped away from OS7. You don't need to make a another new product to make up for the other new product. Just fix the first new product.

As far as when they do it (transition away from legacy).........ask any first day business student that question. The answer is: whenever it stops selling. Especially when it stops being their number one selling handset.
    I think in the next year or so, and this is based on whether the z3 is a successful product and gets BlackBerry OS10 established in the developing countries. Only then, phasing out the older legacy platform should be looked into.

I know I am going to get hammered and bashed by the BlackBerry faithful,but supporting two OS platforms is a large and expensive task. Sooner or later, your going to have to settle on a single OS platform in this highly competitive market we have today.

Forget how we did things in the past, the bad decisions made in the past is why we are in the current situation we are today?

What I would be doing on the software side would be seeing what I could take out of the older legacy OS and implement some of those features into OS10 to keep the faithful happy.

The will only allow the company to reduce costs and focus on a single platform which will make everyone's job allot simpler in the long run, just my two cents.

Sent from z30 on T Mobile USA 10.2.1.2160
    Abandon something that is presently bringing them a decent chunk of profitability? No, BB10 may be superior but it's not got the saturation that BBOS has over it's many years on the market. If it's true they are outselling BB10 devices with legacy at this point, don't you think they should hold on to it until it's no longer profitable? BlackBerry doesn't exactly have the money or size to just ditch it on the spot.
    I said
    Hence, i think BB should officially announce the retirement of Legacy device as soon as the whole BB10 line(low-mid-top) is launched. It's never too late, people still love BB
    am i wrong?
    Name the OS QNX(sounds cool), Make BIS optional, release whole new range, ofcourse, slowly, as it'll take time to launch new products, and thereafter, take Legacy off.
    Am i right now?
    04-13-14 08:02 AM
    I said

am i wrong?Name the OS QNX(sounds cool), Make BIS optional, release whole new range, ofcourse, slowly, as it'll take time to launch new products, and thereafter, take Legacy off.
    Am i right now?
    Nope. Simply coming up with a cool name and releasing a whole low-mid-top line of BB10 (don't we already have that now?) doesn't have anything to do with what everyone that you've responded to, including myself, has been saying. Retiring OS7 happens when it no longer makes money. Simple.
    They could come out with 18 new BB10 phones. But if they don't sell, and 9900's still do.....guess what the next move is: keep selling 9900's.
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 08:27 AM
    Nope. Simply coming up with a cool name and releasing a whole low-mid-top line of BB10 (don't we already have that now?) doesn't have anything to do with what everyone that you've responded to, including myself, has been saying. Retiring OS7 happens when it no longer makes money. Simple.
    They could come out with 18 new BB10 phones. But if they don't sell, and 9900's still do.....guess what the next move is: keep selling 9900's.
    Maybe you know better sir i'm just a chap with new and weird ideas
    04-13-14 08:37 AM
    No sir, i haven't . But i don't think moving backwards is something a company in bad times should do
    Below is one of books I did review on my channel few month ago-care to read the book?
    Well, "how to turn idea into Money" got some thing you can learn, a "How To" book if you just start out. You rely on the resource of contract manufacture for the scale, speed, and somewhat the infrastructure. If you are working on leading edge or bleeding edge stuff, not "produce similar product category", be careful! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/013713...UvbUpU10238048

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 08:44 AM
    Maybe you know better sir i'm just a chap with new and weird ideas
    Nothing wrong with coming up with ideas. But, you have to look at the history of other ideas to get a sense of how new ones might work. And you have to consider the absolute basic reason why companies exist: to make money.
    stlabrat and TGR1 like this.
    04-13-14 08:44 AM
    OP, kindly, I must say that your post is moronic. It's thinking like this that got BlackBerry in this position in the first place.

BlackBerry announced BB10 two years before it's release (which was still an entire year from being really ready- v10.2.1), they said that BlackBerry OS phones would not work with BB10 OS which virtually stopped their BBOS sales for the ensuing 2 year period because no one wants to buy a phone that becomes obsolete the second that you bought it, then- in an epic move in similar fashion to your moronic suggestion here- then they released a touch only BlackBerry 10 phone essentially forcing their loyal customers to adapt or die which while it is the best touch phone in the market it is useless to a person that stays with BlackBerry because of their KB!! It's no surprise that most people don't care to adapt to a platform which is the same as the competition (touch) but with less functionality (apps). Furthermore their Qwerty alternative had no "tool belt" and is missing a lot of the features that make BlackBerry a BlackBerry. Once again force to adapt or die, people chose to "die."

The adapt or die mentality that was going on at BlackBerry hasn't worked and BlackBerry will not survive another quarter without the BBOS revenues. Thank goodness we have Mr. Chen to get BlackBerry back on track. I can't believe we're even talking about this subject...

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 09:10 AM
    I don't know why people get bent out of shape over a limited-term stop-gap production run.

Given the enterprise focus of the company, and the fact that BES 12 will support both BBOS and BB10 (as well as WP, iOS and android), letting companies buy Bold 9900s in the interim makes sense. Once BES 12 and the classic handset are available, BB can stop producing the 9900s, but continue to support them in the business environment. Sounds like a sensible plan to me.
    04-13-14 09:18 AM
    Name the OS QNX(sounds cool), Make BIS optional, release whole new range, ofcourse, slowly, as it'll take time to launch new products, and thereafter, take Legacy off.
    Am i right now?
    I'm behind the whole stop-gap measure they are going for, but that aside, just as MS did with XP, you're essentially aiming for a progressive warning in order to more proactively push BB10. Excluding making BIS optional (which I wish they would), you are probably right, that's how it will have to be else they could pull another MS (vis a vis Windows Phone 7) and just pick the right time to simply cut it off at the knee and move on, which considering the amount of enterprise they maintain, is doubtful.

All in all, I hope your idea is how it goes down.
    04-13-14 09:43 AM
    I agree that BBOS7 should go away, it's eating BB10 name. It's hard to explain to people there are two different systems. However, they still are making money that this company needs badly
    04-13-14 09:48 AM
    Them making revenue (which will only increase with more BB7 handsets in use!) is important too. Cutting that off (like stintz wants to do with toronto/ontario hydro, sell it and lose the revenue, bankrupt toronto/ontario? Hello?) is a bad idea, since that could impact the quarterly reports and all, stocks will then collapse. **** that! Sorry for the course language, but we DO NOT want to see that happen. I certainly don't at all. There is TOO much happening right now and thankfully john chen is doing a great job. Sell what's profitable until it no-longer is. Monetise BBM, don't give a hoot if it has advertisements or a subscription of $1.00, i'll still use it. (think about it)

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    04-13-14 10:02 AM
    YES, Legacy needs to go away!

But I'm afraid that BB10 isn't an automatic replacement. Price points aren't right, and the lack of BIS is a MAJOR problem for BlackBerry in many developing markets. Without BIS and those less expensive BIS Data plans, a BB10 device is like any other device. So then it comes down to other features.... is BBM enough to sell a BB10 device? Not now that most any device can get download it.....
    04-13-14 10:20 AM
    Trying to force people onto bb10 who don't want to be there will just not work.

The problem is bb10 NOT BBOS. A modern, state of the art OS built around business needs and priced sensibly should have no problem in attracting people away from old tech.

The problem is isn't doesn't meet these goals and it hasn't been marketed effectively.

Killing your dwindling cash cow is hardly going to help matters is it?
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-13-14 10:22 AM
    In theory yes. They should have been EOL'd when the BB10 launch happened with two years of official support from that date. Only reason many Government agencies just went to Windows 7 was because XP support closed out and they were forced to update.

The problem is that BlackBerry did not have everything in place to make this happen, and they still do not. In order for this to occur they need what BES12 will bring, one BES for both platforms, and feature parity on BB10 with BBOS. Once they have this in place, then they can start an official countdown click that says BBOS last day if support is X, and they likely won't see many agencies in government upgrading until shortly before X, because government is now super slow due to process management that dictates that every single thing must have a process, because you can't rely on people to think a way through a problem.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 10:32 AM
    If BBOS7 is for people, then what exactly BB10 is for? time-pass?
    I'm not talking about EVERYBODY, I'm talking about people who find the feature set of OS7 suits them better. Others may think that the current iteration of BB10 suits them just fine, but that doesn't mean it's for everybody. It needs improvement in the form of options in how the user interface is presented before you can realistically expect both businessman and gamer alike to consider BB10 a superior platform.
    04-13-14 10:48 AM
    Then apparently releasing BB10 was the first mistake ?

Having BBOS7 selling in the market, while much advanced BB10 sits home is very much like owning a Porsche but still driving old and cheap Hyundai, because it runs cheap.
    They do need to replace Hyundai with a cheaper variant of Porche(which in case of phones, is possible)
    I don't understand why you use cars in your argument. Cars don't make money unless you're renting the Porsche and Hyundai to clients or as taxis. You're looking at it from a consumers' point of view. I'm looking at it as an income generator and how I can survive if I cut off the main pipe and switch to another source. BlackBerry does not have the luxury to reduce any income right now as the Board has a responsibility to its investors and shareholders first, consumers second. I could even argue earnings from BB7 could be use for marketing and advertising for BB10.
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 10:55 AM
    The adapt or die mentality that was going on at BlackBerry hasn't worked and BlackBerry will not survive another quarter without the BBOS revenues. Thank goodness we have Mr. Chen to get BlackBerry back on track. I can't believe we're even talking about this subject...

Posted via CB10
    This.

I don't understand why it would even be an option, killing bbos would be the end. Lets get rid of the product that actually is making us money. It's not like bb10 is selling 3 to 1, it's the other way around. Getting rid of BBOS doesn't mean bb10 will fly off the shelves.

Z3 will be released soon, it might sell in some market, but I have my doubt it sells in NA, unless price under 150$ if it actually makes it here? I have doubts that the Z3 will be the device that puts bbos to bed.
    acovey and JeepBB like this.
    04-13-14 11:20 AM
    The Q20 might even be the sweet spot legacy owners are waiting for. But patience needs to happen and waiting must also happen. I'll continue to jump between my 9900 and Q10 for the time being.

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 11:45 AM
    OS7 is like Windows XP. It does everything most users need it to do, but it is an archaic piece of technology. I think if Microsoft still sold Windows XP, a lot of users would still buy it. But as a tech company, you can't just look for cash, but also evolution.
    iN8ter and BigManRonnie like this.
    04-13-14 11:47 AM
    OP: Legacy BBOS is the true enemy ? FOOL...BIS subscription is keeping your BB10 coding team and everyone at BB in salary and ALIVE.

60 million BIS customers paying even �1 (chose the strongest currency overall) is �60 million a month incoming...BIS does not cost anywhere near a 10th of that to run worldwide.

Seriously...BB10 has killed this company and continues to do so and you want BB10 only ?

LOL, PMSL that's the best laugh of my day !
    acovey, JeepBB, dracolnyte and 1 others like this.
    04-13-14 12:19 PM
181 ... 23456 ...