What do you mean? I'm just saying the UI on the current BB10 lineup sucks if you're not a huge touchscreen fan, and given no other choice, I would rather get an Android that at least has back, menu, and home buttons.

There is no "forcing" anyone onto BB10, only forcing them away from BlackBerry altogether.
    You've actually used a Q5 and or Q10 before saying this ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-12-14 03:22 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Does he need too? After all, you made up your mind that legacy devices suck without ever having used one. What's the difference?
    JeepBB, Rello, chr1sny and 2 others like this.
    04-12-14 03:30 PM
    Does he need too? After all, you made up your mind that legacy devices suck without ever having used one. What's the difference?
    I made up my mind that I do not like qwerty keyboards. Both of these devices are still qwerty with touch gestures for navigation... so yes he does need to try it..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-12-14 03:49 PM
    That's what i'm trying to say. BB10 is showing no sign of growth because of existence of BBOS7.
    I hope BB will launch soon it's low tier BB10 range, and people don't want to shift to a whole new OS by paying a huge amount of money. That's why BB10 isn't selling much.
    In case one of the factors is fixed, maybe we'll see a market growth

As soon as whole BB10 (or say QNX ) range is deployed, BBOS7 should be killed
    It's hard because BB10 is much more modern yet for some reason BBOS is still selling 2x as much. Mayb marketing is it...mayb not. We'll see soon enoiugh with the Z3 and how it performs.
    04-12-14 03:51 PM
    I agree. Let it die like the y2k technology it is

Posted via CB from my LE
    sunny9900 and Shadowyugi like this.
    04-12-14 03:53 PM
    I made up my mind that I do not like qwerty keyboards. Both of these devices are still qwerty with touch gestures for navigation... so yes he does need to try it..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    It appears that he made up his mind that he likes having a Back, Menu and Home buttons. I don't see why he would need to use a Q5 or Q10 to discover that neither have the buttons he wants.
    04-12-14 03:57 PM
    It appears that he made up his mind that he likes having a Back, Menu and Home buttons. I don't see why he would need to use a Q5 or Q10 to discover that neither have the buttons he wants.
    Well he will be glad that Q20 is coming just for this very reason... although there are people that thought they could never leave full hardware keyboards that made the switch to full touch or q5/q10

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-12-14 04:10 PM
    There sure are a lot of big opinions here by people that don't know much about business. Listen, I did go ahead and make the leap to BB10 fairly early (small business owner, non-enterprise). However, I did that with the thinking that BB10 would come thru real soon with basic functionality like being able to sync calendar and contacts with Outlook (no cloud aloud) and full Bridge. Nope. I don't regret the decision just because I love BB10 so much, but it sure has cost me a lot of pain and suffering. So those more patient than I was simply cannot afford the time, money and stress of losing functions they depend on for their business until BB10 is able to provide it.

Some of you act like the only two choices are between BB07 and BB10. Nope. You force a business to change, they are very likely to jump over to iOS, and John Chen knows that. He is working his guts out to come up with what they need so they can make a semi-painless transition over to BB10. After the economy tanked, a lot of businesses are being more conservative about placing something that works. Look at Windows XP. Until that can happens, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

As a business owner, I need to be able to function and make money. I have spent a lot of time building certain things around BlackBerry. I am a die-hard and would probably hang on as long as possible, but I simply can't afford to carry BlackBerry as a charity case. If my needs aren't being met and I lose hope I will sadly be forced to look elsewhere. Chen is not an *****. He is sitting down with smart people going over this from every angle.
    04-12-14 04:14 PM
    Bbos is keeping blackberry afloat right now, if you take it off the market tomorrow, where the he11 are they supposed to find the money to keep working on BB10. Might as well stop making phones.
    acovey and mamasan47 like this.
    04-12-14 04:15 PM
    If there's already a flagship car in the market, and the company launches another equivalent car and does almost 0 advertising about it, how do you expect it to sell? And why people will prefer the newer one when they have reliability and satisfaction from the previous one.
    That's what (i've assumed) has happened to BB10, and BBOS7(like the earlier flagship) has eaten up its market share.
    When you launch something, you make it better and let people know about it(which blackberry didn't)

Also, the transition shouldn't be gradual, as not much time is left, soon Android's new version, iOS8 along with iPhone6, etc etc will be launched, and Blackberry needs to get it's act together as soon as possible
    They stop making the old model once the new one is launched. Even if Honda doesn't advertise the 2015 civic, it will be the only one available to buy once the 2014 stock is sold through. By that standard BBOS would have been done long ago.
    04-12-14 04:34 PM
    They stop making the old model once the new one is launched. Even if Honda doesn't advertise the 2015 civic, it will be the only one available to buy once the 2014 stock is sold through. By that standard BBOS would have been done long ago.
    This example assumes the 2015 Honda is as good as the previous models. That's the problem. As has been discussed over and over and over in thread after thread, BB10 is incomplete, and betrayed many people who liked BlackBerry for specific things that made it BlackBerry. Once they just became another piece of rectangular glass, with no buttons AT ALL, with fewer advantages than previous models (and no apps) there was no reason to upgra....uh, I mean downgrade. If they just put the smoothness and clean look of BB10 inside an old BB device (with all it's glorious physical buttons and charging contacts and profiles and popup apps and auto-bedside and themes and more info on the home screen and on, and on, and on and on.....they might get people to buy. Until then people must make a choice. Most have chosen to stay with what works.

Business classes will study the bonehead moves and colossal errors of BB for decades to come.
    acovey, JeepBB and mamasan47 like this.
    04-12-14 04:46 PM
    I am a bit puzzled, the market share lost to the other platform, not to the bbos7. Where is the logic of this thesis? You actually think killed bbos7, get rid of bis (which still make money, however small), is going to bring the chap who pays 5 dollar per month, unlimited data, to something they need to pay 3x more? Try to ask your boss to get raise of 2x more of your salary and come back to tell me what happened :-(.

Posted via CB10
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    04-12-14 05:13 PM
    This is like telling Mom or Dad, the main bread winners of the family to retire and let 12 year old Johnny get a paper route.
    stlabrat, JeepBB, 21stNow and 1 others like this.
    04-12-14 08:34 PM
    They aren't cheaper, at least where I live. Verizon sells the Z10 for $299 and the Q10 for $399. The Z30 and Bold 9930 are both $499. So you have a legacy device selling for the same price as the flagship device.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and jayemmbee like this.
    04-12-14 08:57 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    To be honest, I haven't been able to because they don't have a working unit in the Sprint store, just a dud.

However, I have watched videos of how BB10 works, and it just plain looks awkward. I don't get how having to move your thumb all over the screen to navigate in BB10 is considered an improvement over having your thumb in ONE place to navigate OS7. I was particularly mortified at the "wipe diagonally from top right corner 5 times to restart Hub" gesture. Not in a thousand years would I ever figure out something like that on my own, whereas in the legacy UI it would be simply Menu > Restart Hub.

The only thing I like the touchscreen for on the 9930 is when it's flat on a table or for sometimes poking app icons when I have my second hand free. Most of the time it is just a nuisance that makes something pop up that I didn't want when I brush the screen.
    acovey likes this.
    04-12-14 09:43 PM
    To be honest, I haven't been able to because they don't have a working unit in the Sprint store, just a dud.

However, I have watched videos of how BB10 works, and it just plain looks awkward. I don't get how having to move your thumb all over the screen to navigate in BB10 is considered an improvement over having your thumb in ONE place to navigate OS7. I was particularly mortified at the "wipe diagonally from top right corner 5 times to restart Hub" gesture. Not in a thousand years would I ever figure out something like that on my own, whereas in the legacy UI it would be simply Menu > Restart Hub.

The only thing I like the touchscreen for on the 9930 is when it's flat on a table or for sometimes poking app icons when I have my second hand free. Most of the time it is just a nuisance that makes something pop up that I didn't want when I brush the screen.
    You can't get a good feel for the OS if you haven't gotten your hands on it... no matter how many hours of videos you watch...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-12-14 11:06 PM
    This is like telling Mom or Dad, the main bread winners of the family to retire and let 12 year old Johnny get a paper route.
    Do you really think a phone OS is like a 12 year old Johnny? They are released only when they outclass current flagship's OS. In most cases.
    If what you are saying is assumed to be true, for a moment, then releasing BB10 in its baby stage was surely a big mistake, right?

What you people don't understand is, in order to see bb10 grow, bb7 needs to die, why? because
    -BBOS7 is selling cheap
    -its a 2011 technology, and current year is 2014(more like a decade gap in technology years)
    -with BBOS7 in market, people get a wrong impression about current state of blackberry, and think Blackberry is still slow, laggy, not good for anything other than calls(which alot of youngsters don't do)
    -Elderly People buy Legacy and get satisfied, and develop no intention of switching for a new device
    -unless and until BBOS7 doesn't die, BB10 won't see the light, and thus, won't generate any revenue.
    -BB10 has a better scope to conquer youngster's pockets, than BBOS7. And nowadays youngsters(college and school) are the one who set the trend. If they don't accept, others probably wouldn't.
    Unless people see the OS, how do you expect them to buy it? most of the time it's legacy which takes away the limelight, because of it's availability and price.

I wish for a day when QNX will be the basic of Blackberry phones and people while have their data on Blackberry cloud, with phones in all price ranges Other brands have already done this, then why not blackberry? Why move backwards?

And considering that they will re-release Bold on BBos7, then it'll be more like pulling customers 5 years back in the timeline, and this will result in Bad, real Bad customer reviews
    04-12-14 11:33 PM
    Personally, I think it's John Chens first mistake......instead of educating the public on BB10, you're confusing them with another production run of BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    jayemmbee and Shadowyugi like this.
    04-12-14 11:53 PM
    Do you really think a phone OS is like a 12 year old Johnny? They are released only when they outclass current flagship's OS. In most cases.
    If what you are saying is assumed to be true, for a moment, then releasing BB10 in its baby stage was surely a big mistake, right?

What you people don't understand is, in order to see bb10 grow, bb7 needs to die, why? because
    -BBOS7 is selling cheap
    -its a 2011 technology, and current year is 2014(more like a decade gap in technology years)
    -with BBOS7 in market, people get a wrong impression about current state of blackberry, and think Blackberry is still slow, laggy, not good for anything other than calls(which alot of youngsters don't do)
    -Elderly People buy Legacy and get satisfied, and develop no intention of switching for a new device
    -unless and until BBOS7 doesn't die, BB10 won't see the light, and thus, won't generate any revenue.
    -BB10 has a better scope to conquer youngster's pockets, than BBOS7. And nowadays youngsters(college and school) are the one who set the trend. If they don't accept, others probably wouldn't.
    Unless people see the OS, how do you expect them to buy it? most of the time it's legacy which takes away the limelight, because of it's availability and price.

I wish for a day when QNX will be the basic of Blackberry phones and people while have their data on Blackberry cloud, with phones in all price ranges Other brands have already done this, then why not blackberry? Why move backwards?

And considering that they will re-release Bold on BBos7, then it'll be more like pulling customers 5 years back in the timeline, and this will result in Bad, real Bad customer reviews
    So how you going to appease investors and shareholders when BlackBerry solely relies on losses from BB10 for the next 4 years. You act like BB10 will be adopted by legacy users if BB7 is dropped. My analogy is bang on. BlackBerry has a reliable income with BB7 and uncertain future with BB10 with no earnings - ZERO, much like a paper route after you deduct the costs of maintaining Johnny's living expenses. Get off your high BB10 chair as it's all "What if earnings from BB10" versus actual cash the Company is getting from BB7. BB10 is not the next sliced bread or the new wheel. It's drowning in the Android and IPhone sea. It's a small pebble that keeps getting washed up against the shore.
    04-13-14 12:04 AM
    So how you going to appease investors and shareholders when BlackBerry solely relies on losses from BB10 for the next 4 years. You act like BB10 will be adopted by legacy users if BB7 is dropped. My analogy is bang on. BlackBerry has a reliable income with BB7 and uncertain future with BB10 with no earnings - ZERO, much like a paper route after you deduct the costs of maintaining Johnny's living expenses. Get off your high BB10 chair as it's all "What if earnings from BB10" versus actual cash the Company is getting from BB7. BB10 is not the next sliced bread or the new wheel. It's drowning in the Android and IPhone sea. It's a small pebble that keeps getting washed up against the shore.
    Then apparently releasing BB10 was the first mistake ?

Having BBOS7 selling in the market, while much advanced BB10 sits home is very much like owning a Porsche but still driving old and cheap Hyundai, because it runs cheap.
    They do need to replace Hyundai with a cheaper variant of Porche(which in case of phones, is possible)
    04-13-14 12:21 AM
    While my position is Legacy devices need to stay for now, at some point they will need to go but I'm more for a gradual change rather than what this post is suggesting. A sudden drop might anger legacy users and make them move to a non-BB platform. I am just looking at this from a shareholders and investors point of view as the share price will likely drop below 5 bucks if they give up the BB7 business as losses will balloon and could also negatively affect BBM numbers.
    anon8091350 and Shadowyugi like this.
    04-13-14 12:23 AM
    While my position is Legacy devices need to stay for now, at some point they will need to go but I'm more for a gradual change rather than what this post is suggesting. A sudden drop might anger legacy users and make them move to a non-BB platform. I am just looking at this from a shareholders and investors point of view as the share price will likely drop below 5 bucks if they give up the BB7 business as losses will balloon and could also negatively affect BBM numbers.
    Of course BB7 needs to gradually go. They have new means to make money with QNX and BBM being monetized, BB10 is actually doing better when it comes to app sells for the small user base in comparison to BB7. So it's not all doomed.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-13-14 12:27 AM
    Thanks to BBOS7, the image of Blackberry is gradually degrading. I was watching this video, and got surprised by what they've put in the end. Seriously, this needs to stop

video is stupid, and there are gazillion such vids on internet. but such stuff is hurting image of BB and making its users a big time joke
    04-13-14 01:15 AM
    if it keeps ppl buying blackberry phones then that has to be a good thing
    acovey likes this.
    04-13-14 01:27 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry can pay the difference in converted legacy users' BIS and non-BIS data plans.
    04-13-14 01:35 AM
181 1234 ...