If I'm wrong I'll come back up to say I was wrong, you know, without having to bet my house on it.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    That's fair.
    And if you're right, I will come back and apologize.
    Care to add likes to each others posts in this thread too? Just to make it interesting?

And seriously, are you a dispatcher from belfast?
    02-12-14 03:55 PM
    Not such a stupid prediction.
    Here in Australia, particularly on Telstra, you can get a BIS plan for $10 ontop of your standrad mobile plan. That gives you unlimited data access through the BlackBerry APN to unlimited email etc.
    My mum loves this. She doesn't make many calls on her phone (my old 9900) but hammers it for emails. She's on a $20 per month plan with the $10 BIS plan.
    $30 per month (plus any calls she makes over $20) is bloody good value for all the emailing she will do while running around with grandparents and communicating with her 9 siblings sharing photos of babies etc etc!
    You can't get that value on a BB10 device that uses standard mobile data.
    There is a lot of sense in keeping legacy devices alive.
    02-12-14 03:56 PM
    It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Legacy platform, I see more and more talk of it lately on CB.

My prediction is this summer a new BBOS device will be launched, how good will it is debatable, I was very disappointed the last time with the 9720.

It will more likely be positioned as a classic blackberry, Chen is not stupid, he knows there's a market for it, albeit a limited market but why let somebody else cash in on that?

I've started this thread so I can come back this summer and say "I told you so"

Mark my worlds.

The only problem with that is Chen is all about software and BBOS is a step above FORTRAN. Now if you're just talking about BIS, and he could somehow implement it, then they would need to convince the carriers about it and start a service charge again. I doubt VZW would go for it or any others now that they can sell their own data plans to BB10 users.
    02-12-14 03:58 PM
    OK, my turn:
    BBOS won't make a comeback, but neither will it disappear in the near future. You'll see it, or won't if your not in enterprise procurement, strictly and exclusively for enterprise and probably sold as a package to go with ongoing BIS maintenance. As this model reaches a break point with ROI for the worse revenue from BB10/BES10 has to make up for the loss lead of the former which hopefully it will. But I won't bet money on this scenario as I described.
    02-12-14 04:14 PM
    I found this post to be relevant if true. Will there ever be another BBOS device manufactured ?

Troy Tiscareno (CB) says "The BBOS phone that came out in the middle of last year (9760?) was the last one produced, and those were manufactured in the 2nd quarter of last year. Nothing new has been produced since, but BB has plenty of old stock available, including 9930 Bolds and some Curves. BB has had zero manufacturing since the Z30 production run ended in October and Jabil Circuit canceled BB's manufacturing contract due to inactivity.

The Jakarta phone, made by Foxconn, will be the first production run since October, when it goes into production in a month or two."
    02-12-14 04:28 PM
    right or wrong....it won't bring back the emails you deleted

byrdbrained and ray689 like this.
    02-12-14 04:33 PM
    If BlackBerry does not get it right this summer sad to say I am out. Years of dedication but need to knock it out the park this summer. Samsung or iPhone looks tempting right now. No joke! After new 10.2.1 update was great but having issues with Google n stuff working properly. I mean come on man!

Posted via CB10
    I'll agree with alternatives are looking temping right now - I've been going back and forth (successfully save for nostalgia) to iOS4.3/5/6/7.1.0 and BBOS6/7.1/BB10 for the past few years now.

My personal reasons:
    I want a quality (materials & fit and finish) handset,
    I feel very comfortable with a manufacturer that backs what they build like their word!! (Apple does this, nobody else does)
    I feel confident in the mobile OS and hardware products if WIDELY used by the company employees themselves from the Executive level to the joe schmo sales guy at the store! (people would refere to iOS users as Sheep, I call it common sensibilities; with these 3 listings alone).
    I feel that my investment matters beyond myself, since the company holds itself and it's products to high levels of scrutiny by those that use it! (again see my 3rd point above: I know of only 1 Nokia executive that has publicly used and shown consistently using an S60 device in their heyday. I don't see many of the current, even recently shifted, executives caught using an Android/Nexus device outside of a conference/interview/announcement ~ albiet this maybe company policy hinderence as not showing a particular partner as a preference, and this is why Glass is looking to be popular and yet ubiquitous! BlackBerry ... only 1 time have you seen Heins using it outside of a press/interview/announcement, Chen again only 1 or 2 times since being their CIO, Lazaridis and Ballsillie DID consistently until their ousting.)

But for reliance on 1 web-based email/services outfit ... I'm sorry that's just your preference, plus Google making things difficult. They talk about all is open well if it was not mobile platform would have issues connect to their services, now would they?

Goes to show you ... some of the time, not all of the time.

Cheers and hope you do choose to stay with BB10 devices.
    02-12-14 04:33 PM
    If that's your prediction BD, then remind me to never, ever let you pick my lottery ticket.
    jupiter8 and anon721037 like this.
    02-12-14 05:58 PM
    My advice for anyone who's not happy with BB10 and seriously considering iPhone or Android is switch to iPhone or Android. The worst thing that could happen is that you prefer a BlackBerry device and you divest yourself of the iPhone or Android device at a loss of about 50% of what you paid. If you buy the device on a contract and aren't unhappy with your contract, you sell the device and it will help subsidize your plan for the next umpteen months.

There is absolutely no need to hesitate switching from BlackBerry to Android or iOS or Windows Phone. They are all excellent and if you like the new platform better, then you will be happy and so will Mobile Nations because they have a site waiting for you to go complain about BlackBerry on all day long. (I just can not keep my contempt for anti-BlackBerry whiners from showing no matter how hard I try which isn't very hard at all honestly.)

Having used Windows Phone, Android and iOS extensively, I prefer BlackBerry, and I personally bear you no hard feelings if you switch. So, what are you waiting for? SWITCH already!

People actually PAY ME MONEY for my technology advice, and you know what I tell most people? "Buy an iPhone". Because that's like telling someone who's never owned a car "Buy a Corolla". You really can't go wrong unless the car accelerates without warning and slams into a tree and kills them... but they won't be mad at YOU, they'll be mad at Toyota. Or they'll be dead and hopefully it wasn't someone I liked all that much... but I think of it kind of like a quaint village built up the side of a steep hill. If you like the view from the valley, stay there! It's a tough climb up to the halfway point where you might like the view better, but you have to climb up that hill all the time, and if that's not worth it for you, you'd best just stay in the beautiful valley and you'll have a lovely front garden with flowers and you'll be right near the river. But if that's not for you, too crowded, too... "common", well, schlep up that hill but maybe not too high and just settle in there with something ALMOST down in that valley but away from the touristy areas and a little quieter, but not so easy to get to. OR, if you want a cliffside mansion but you have to pretty much install your own funicular, and god why would I recommend to someone "go live up that mountain but don't forget to install your funicular!". Nope. As the Ferengi say, "There's no profit in it."

Telling someone who DOESN'T like their iPhone to buy Android is a safe bet. They'll probably either like it or not, in which case they'll go running back to their iPhone and send a note to Tim Cook crying with their mascara running down their cheeks promising never EVER to be disloyal again please let me buy the new one on launch day Tim please.

If someone's not satisfied with either iPhone or Android? Gee, well, there just aren't any other choices are there, they'd better pick one or the other and GET happy, because there isn't... hold on. They could try a BlackBerry 10 device, or a Windows Phone device and see if they like either of those! Yeah! That's what they can do! Or they could even try a BB7 device and maybe realize that all those apps are really kind of fun to play with, so use a BB7 device for actual "communications" then pick up a second-hand Nexus 5 or iPhone 5 or iPod touch and play with apps on that device while they use their BB7 device for a phone and PDA, which (in case you have a really short memory) BB7 devices are actually quite good at doing.

Because there will always be a market for a pure communications tool that exceeds the capabilities of a feature phone with the 10 number buttons and the tictactoe board and the asterisk, but doesn't have a "Turbo Tax" app (because who in their right mind wants to do their taxes on a phone), and the device that fills that niche won't be a full touchscreen iPhone or Android device without any apps installed. It won't be a BB10 device without any apps (like THAT'S a problem HA made a joke there!) or Windows Phone... it's going to be something... else... that may be running Android or BB10 underneath, but that will be a superficial quality of the device, because it's the form factor and UX that will differ significantly from what we know as BB10 or "pure Android" (I left out iPhone because I think that despite the 'infinite universes' theory, there isn't one where Apple puts out a device that serves that market: it's not a mass-market device so they would simply not bother).

It's not an all-things-to-everyone world (which analysts and twerps like the BGR "journalists" seem to forget) so there's still room for something very much LIKE BB7 devices. Maybe that thing is "BB7 devices". Maybe it's an Android device developed by a small startup... but... then... Samsung will duplicate it if it's successful in any way and drown them in lawsuits so... BD's idea of BB7 getting a second wind isn't so far-fetched at that.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 02-12-14 at 06:52 PM.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    02-12-14 06:24 PM
    Looking at my 9320 9900 work phone makes me feel ill after using my z30.
    +1. Thankfully, the enterprise is going through a BB10 migration worldwide (40k+ employees - not bad for BB, eh?)
    02-12-14 10:25 PM
    Not such a stupid prediction.
    Here in Australia, particularly on Telstra, you can get a BIS plan for $10 ontop of your standrad mobile plan. That gives you unlimited data access through the BlackBerry APN to unlimited email etc.
    My mum loves this. She doesn't make many calls on her phone (my old 9900) but hammers it for emails. She's on a $20 per month plan with the $10 BIS plan.
    $30 per month (plus any calls she makes over $20) is bloody good value for all the emailing she will do while running around with grandparents and communicating with her 9 siblings sharing photos of babies etc etc!
    You can't get that value on a BB10 device that uses standard mobile data.
    There is a lot of sense in keeping legacy devices alive.
    BB10 can use BIS

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-12-14 11:31 PM
    BB10 can use BIS

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    You are soooo wrong. BB10 can use a BIS data plan, but so can every other platform, BIS will not be active until you put your sim back in a legacy device.

02-13-14 12:05 AM
    Actually they said the opposite, that they'll support it indefinitely. Check your information before you mislead people.

Chen also specifically stated that there would be no more BBOS devices. It was either on the last quarterly call or shortly after.

We'll likely hear more about specific device plans at MWC.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Mr.mister likes this.
    02-13-14 12:45 AM
    Chen also specifically stated that there would be no more BBOS devices. It was either on the last quarterly call or shortly after.

We'll likely hear more about specific device plans at MWC.

Chen was just an interim CEO back then, now he's fit the power.

As I said before, this is not based on just a gut feeling

02-13-14 12:48 AM
    Chen was just an interim CEO back then, now he's fit the power.

As I said before, this is not based on just a gut feeling

The only thing I can see driving that is enterprise. That's not impossible but what I'm seeing is that most want to be off "old" BES as quickly as they can manage, and on to BYOD in some form. Companies are not standing still; there's a fair number adopting BES10 or abandoning BlackBerry entirely.

02-13-14 01:15 AM
    You are soooo wrong. BB10 can use a BIS data plan, but so can every other platform, BIS will not be active until you put your sim back in a legacy device.

Legacy Comeback: My 2014 Prediction-img_20140213_072404.png

So there's a [i] special[/] BIS feature that only becomes active when you put your sim in a legacy device? Ahh

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-13-14 01:27 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140213_072404.png 
Views:	270 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	247343

So there's a [i] special[/] BIS feature that only becomes active when you put your sim in a legacy device? Ahh

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I'm starting to think you never used a Bbos device, because if you did and you now use BB10 you'd know very well what's missing.

02-13-14 01:35 AM
    I'm starting to think you never used a Bbos device, because if you did and you now use BB10 you'd know very well what's missing.

'I'm starting to think you never used a BB10 device because if you did and you used BB7 before, you would know very well what's gained.'

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    jupiter8, Karan Mohal and ray689 like this.
    02-13-14 01:40 AM
    Please....tell me again what I'm missing, just for those that missed it and don't forget to mention that you shouldn't accidentally hit delete when it comes to the emails

ray689 likes this.
    02-13-14 01:52 AM
    'I'm starting to think you never used a BB10 device because if you did and you used BB7 before, you would know very well what's gained.'

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I'm strictly speaking about what's missing when you use a BIS data plan on BB10 here, anybody that used both would know straight away.

The person I responded to claims BIS works in BB10.

02-13-14 01:54 AM
    the only thing I ever missed was data compression...... I pulled my 9790 out a few weeks back, just for giggles, and I swear it was like parking my new bimmer and using the 25 yr old f250 that I use to tow the horses around, I mean really. This thread has been amusing as are most of the ones where somebody tries to convince others that bbos is just the cats *** compared to bb10....good for a laugh watching people struggle trying to prove their point
    jupiter8 and ray689 like this.
    02-13-14 02:07 AM
    the only thing I ever missed was data compression...... I pulled my 9790 out a few weeks back, just for giggles, and I swear it was like parking my new bimmer and using the 25 yr old f250 that I use to tow the horses around, I mean really. This thread has been amusing as are most of the ones where somebody tries to convince others that bbos is just the cats *** compared to bb10....good for a laugh watching people struggle trying to prove their point
    Question is, would you still buy a bimmer if all you wanted was to two horses around?

02-13-14 02:48 AM
    BIS is not being removed from carriers, BB said they'll support it indefinitely.

Has any carrier removed or announced to remove BIS yet? As far as I know they all still sell BIS accounts.

I work frontline tech for one of the carriers in Australia and the new plans they have no longer have the ability to add BIS through the system. We have to do workarounds for legacy ? to work.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925/10.2.1.1926
    02-13-14 03:06 AM
    Question is, would you still buy a bimmer if all you wanted was to two horses around?

your gonna have to explain, because either I am thick or your making your usual amount of sense

02-13-14 03:15 AM

Two points. A short while ago I changed back to my Curve...a monthly rolling data plan that I can change each month. I had BIS added and fired up the Curve. Half way through I found the 'at the time' problem with my Z10 and swapped back that same day as finding the fault. The Z10 ran on the BIS data plan....albeit not using the BIS content but certainly using the data.

Second point. It seems to be a common misconception in this and other threads that the OP either hasn't owned and used BB10 devices nor BBOS. The OP has a Z10, a Q10 and quite a selection of legacy devices.

And no I am not taking sides before anyone starts on me....just pointing out facts.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 04:21 AM
326 ... 7891011 ...