I love legacy. Still get nostalgic for it sometimes. But I think its time has passed. It started Blackberry on its downward spiral. Sadly BB10 hasn't changed that but the upside for it is that there are still ways for it to grow and be advanced. Legacy seems like a dead end at this point. BB10 hasn't been able to woo back those that left for Android and iOS but I honestly can't see a revamped legacy OS gaining much traction in the market place now.

Still I wouldn't say no to a revamped 9900 if they did release one.
    02-11-14 08:31 PM
    What can a new legacy device do? It is harmless and won't kill BB10 ....
    02-11-14 08:48 PM
    Hmm, well how about a "blend" of legacy and BB10? I'm good with BB10 but a blend of the good from both would be fine with me too.
    flyingsolid and Q10Bold like this.
    02-11-14 08:52 PM
    Hmm, well how about a "blend" of legacy and BB10? I'm good with BB10 but a blend of the good from both would be fine with me too.
    Even if BBRY simply copied the legacy interface on the BB10 platform at the launch, it should have saved the company a great deal, and bought them much need time to perfect the BB10.
    But I do feel that the lack of trackball and other buttons on Q10 would have limited its growth potential anyway. Workaround is never a solution.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-11-14 09:22 PM
    The premise is too open. If you are saying there will be another BBOS device released then I'd say that's somewhat likely.

But comeback as in what? It sells very well? BlackBerry focuses on it more than BlackBerry 10?

What exactly are you predicting?

In order to say I told you so I think you need to be specific. More specific than "BlackBerry will release another BBOS phone ".

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    02-11-14 09:37 PM
    It would be awesome. This is exactly what I want in next qwerty device. Why can't BB take all OS7 goodies & blend into BB10. Its a win-win for all. It'd be great if they bring back 1) Call, Track Pad & End buttons (just 3 buttons). Space between Call & Trackpad and Trackpad & End button can be used for BB10 Gestures. 2) Home Screen 3) Charging pin at the bottom for dock.
    xanadome and Q10Bold like this.
    02-11-14 09:39 PM
    Has happened to a very small minority. Memory leak was a standard across the BBOS

Posted via CB10
    Amen. I could factory reset my Torch 9850 and install no apps. And after several days it was already running slower and needed a battery pull.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    02-11-14 09:44 PM
    Even if BBRY simply copied the legacy interface on the BB10 platform at the launch, it should have saved the company a great deal, and bought them much need time to perfect the BB10.
    But I do feel that the lack of trackball and other buttons on Q10 would have limited its growth potential anyway. Workaround is never a solution.
    My own thoughts about the trackbalk/trackpad - I don't miss them, and I feel they would hold me back now that I've had the BB10 for a year. Again, just my own feelings on this.
    02-11-14 09:52 PM
    Nostalgia is a nice thing, track pad back button etc is a step backwards, come on people get real! BlackBerry 10 swipe is the future!

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:01 PM
    Nostalgia is a nice thing, track pad back button etc is a step backwards, come on people get re3al! BlackBerry 10 swipe is the future!

Posted via CB10
    A 3.1 inch screen needs a trackpad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    xanadome, Legal Eagle and Q10Bold like this.
    02-11-14 10:39 PM
    A 3.1 inch screen needs a trackpad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Why a track pad?? I say we go back to the roller ball! ;-)I have used and still use my 9900, I hardly ever used the track pad on it. This is just my two cents .

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:46 PM
    My own thoughts about the trackbalk/trackpad - I don't miss them, and I feel they would hold me back now that I've had the BB10 for a year. Again, just my own feelings on this.
    When I first bought a Q10, lack of trackpad did not really bother me, as much as it was a bit of inconvenience, since I have been so used to the iPhone.
    iPhone's implementation of text manipulation came a long way, and I understand that the recent improvement of BB10 software is quite on par with the iPhone.
    But I now believe that trackpad (not a trackball, which was terrible) is a necessity. Or, let's put it this way, the combination of the trackpad and some buttons are definitely more convenient than none. I think people who say that they can get by without a trackpad are mostly Z10 (touch slab) users. For those, you do not necessarily need a trackpad.
    For the most efficient use of the keyboard device, including the one thumb operation, the trackpad is a necessity, and even make sense for keyboard models.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-11-14 11:03 PM
    They shouldnt have launched the 9720 instead they should have done a premium bold line phone 9900 was bbos at its best. A 9900 optimized and better camera I wouldve bought it over bb10. Now it doesnt even matter. Just focus on getting bb10 as advanced as they can.

Red Zed 10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-12-14 01:17 AM
    belfastdispatcher

you're so wrong, i'm gonna add you to my friend's list just to be able to tell you: "I told you so" in a few months :-)

BB10 a great OS, if you dont like it it's either because:
    1. you have no thumbs to swipe up, or
    2. you're too old to learn a new OS

:-)
    02-12-14 02:17 AM
    They shouldnt have launched the 9720 instead they should have done a premium bold line phone 9900 was bbos at its best. A 9900 optimized and better camera I wouldve bought it over bb10. Now it doesnt even matter. Just focus on getting bb10 as advanced as they can.

Red Zed 10
    I knew about the 9720 long before it was announced but even BB employees didn't know what's it was actually gonna be.

At one point it was supposed to be Q5 hardware without the trackpad, also without BIS. And this was from people that were supposed to market it. They didn't know anything about it until it was ready.

And what a disappointment that turned out to be.

Just because I think they'll make another BBOS device doesn't mean they'll do a good job of it.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-12-14 02:17 AM
    belfastdispatcher

you're so wrong, i'm gonna add you to my friend's list just to be able to tell you: "I told you so" in a few months :-)

BB10 a great OS, if you dont like it it's either because:
    1. you have no thumbs to swipe up, or
    2. you're too old to learn a new OS

:-)
    May I remind you I was right about the 9720 when everybody said will never happen?

Let's just say it's not all based just on a gut feeling

Legal Eagle and Mecca EL like this.
    02-12-14 02:20 AM
    Legacy will make a comeback? Isn't it still in the lead?

That being said, if legacy remains BBs most sold platform, things will only get worse.
    02-12-14 02:38 AM
    To be honest with you BBOS by the end of the year will only be relevant in 3rd world countries due to its pricing, I live in one. Even that is not a guarantee because Android phones are getting better and cheaper, and there's more and more of them in people's hands these days. BBOS is like MSDOS compared to Jelly Bean...
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    02-12-14 03:22 AM
    With the new Jakarta phone supposedly being price under $200, I dont think they'll make another Legacy device.
    Yes, and the Z10 and Q5 you can already find for $ 200. I don't think that there will be a legacy device.
    02-12-14 03:36 AM
    Yes, and the Z10 and Q5 you can already find for $ 200. I don't think that there will be a legacy device.
    The problem is even at those reduced prices they're simply not selling.

The Z10 is now officially cheaper then the 9720, still not shifting. And even if they do sell at that price, they're selling at a big loss with no service revenue to follow at all.

I'm theory BB10 should've been amazing, in practice not so much.

The question is what will Jakarta being to the table that the Z10 or the Q5 doesn't have to be able to sell better at the same prices?

02-12-14 03:40 AM
    Legacy will make a comeback? Isn't it still in the lead?
    Very good and most ignored point on these forums.

02-12-14 03:41 AM
    Very good and most ignored point on these forums.

Most legacy devices are corporate issue though, ie recipients had no choice in the matter. Given a choice most would choose an iPhone or Android.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-12-14 03:51 AM
    Most legacy devices are corporate issue though, ie recipients had no choice in the matter. Given a choice most would choose an iPhone or Android.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Given a choice yes, but those enterprises that still use BlackBerry most likely don't have the choice, the only choice they have is BBOS vs BB10 due to security requirements.

It's the employers that make the choice, not the employees, in those circumstances.

02-12-14 03:55 AM
    I knew about the 9720 long before it was announced but even BB employees didn't know what's it was actually gonna be.

At one point it was supposed to be Q5 hardware without the trackpad, also without BIS. And this was from people that were supposed to market it. They didn't know anything about it until it was ready.

And what a disappointment that turned out to be.

Just because I think they'll make another BBOS device doesn't mean they'll do a good job of it.

Then what is the point of BBRY wasting all those resources that they can bearly afford to these days for the sake of putting out a legacy BBOS device if they have no intention of doing a good job putting out a good quality device?

With a continually shrinking market for BBOS devices, how will they sell enough of them to get a decent return on that investment?

If they can't answer the above questions then they don't have any business justification for making a new BBOS device in 2014 with 10 year old technology that will not even stand a chance against the much better, faster, feature complete ios and android devices.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    02-12-14 03:56 AM
    Then what is the point of BBRY wasting all those resources that they can bearly afford to these days for the sake of putting out a legacy BBOS device if they have no intention of doing a good job putting out a good quality device?

With a continually shrinking market for BBOS devices, how will they sell enough of them to get a decent return on that investment?

If they can't answer the above questions then they don't have any business justification for making a new BBOS device in 2014 with 10 year old technology that will not even stand a chance against the much better, faster, feature complete ios and android devices.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    As always intention and implementation are two different things. I can only hope they don't make the same mistake they made with the 9720.

I'd like to ask why waste resources on a platform that only sells 1.6 million in 3 months?

02-12-14 03:59 AM
326 ... 23456 ...