It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Legacy platform, I see more and more talk of it lately on CB.

My prediction is this summer a new BBOS device will be launched, how good will it is debatable, I was very disappointed the last time with the 9720.

It will more likely be positioned as a classic blackberry, Chen is not stupid, he knows there's a market for it, albeit a limited market but why let somebody else cash in on that?

I've started this thread so I can come back this summer and say "I told you so"

Mark my worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-11-14 12:57 PM
    Backwards logic for BlackBerry. Sounds about right. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. How's that gonna work though with BIS being removed from carriers?

'Hey guys, you know that whole BlackBerry 10 thing? Just forget it. Reactivate all your BIS plans and services again.'
    02-11-14 01:00 PM
    You're right on one account:

Chen is not stupid, therefore he will not do this.
    02-11-14 01:07 PM
    You're right on one account:

Chen is not stupid, therefore he will not do this.
    So you'll be the first to tell you "I told you so" in a few months

I think Chen will be looking at milking every penny he can out of the company.

This is not the time to turn your nose up at a few tens of million potential users or the existing BBOS user base.

JeepBB and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-11-14 01:15 PM
    Backwards logic for BlackBerry. Sounds about right. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. How's that gonna work though with BIS being removed from carriers?

'Hey guys, you know that whole BlackBerry 10 thing? Just forget it. Reactivate all your BIS plans and services again.'
    BIS is not being removed from carriers, BB said they'll support it indefinitely.

Has any carrier removed or announced to remove BIS yet? As far as I know they all still sell BIS accounts.

02-11-14 01:16 PM
    They may very well release another "emerging market" device, but even I find it unlikely we'll see anymore "legacy" devices unless CEO Chen feels there's a way to make them rather cheap and can turn a small profit from them. Since the NOC is what powers the backend of BBM (am I correct on that?), it is afterall what powers BIS to theoretically, BIS could still be utilized no?

If I can just point something out for the sake of doing so; Belfast has been around CB a long time so he's not trolling or aiming squarely to annoy people. I am sort of in the same boat as someone who is perhaps preferring BBOS to BB10. I think BB10 is awesome and would not choose another platform or OS outside of BlackBerry over it as long as the company exists, but there are still certain things BBOS provides me, or rather certain personal preferences and criteria it meets, a bit better than BB10.

The argument for the resurrection or any continued focus for BBOS is probably futile, indeed considering what has transpired since BB10 was first developed, there's just no way BlackBerry as a company would walk away from something they've sunk so so much into. They are still supporting OS7 and will be for a while which is a good sign for those of us who prefer it, and even when they finally do EOL it, it will still be as secure and functional as we'll need it to be for a good while, so I know for now, i'm just going to keep ahold of my Q10, but stick with my 9930 and just be happy, because that I am.

Cheers Belfast

Posted via BitPusher's BlackBerry
    02-11-14 01:18 PM
    Legacy was going no where.... It was great for it's time, but it's time is long past.

Haven't used a legacy device in a year, how is development going for BBOS? Getting those updates pretty regular for Facebook? How about Instagram, you able to sideload it? How is the browser experience?

I don't see them releasing another device, what would it offer that the current ones don't? I can see them extending sales of BBOS device in some markets. Let's face it legacy was dying in most mature markets, the only places it was seeing growth was in developing markets where a basic communication device that was cheap to buy and operate was the primary concern. But these markets are now maturing also and carriers don't like the additional cost of BIS plans.

In my mind a Comeback means that you expect Legacy device sales to increase....
    02-11-14 01:18 PM
    Words marked.
    jupiter8, LazyEvul and ddlax22 like this.
    02-11-14 01:22 PM
    2 steps forward 17000 steps back

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    sickyute, web99 and extisis like this.
    02-11-14 01:25 PM
    It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Legacy platform, I see more and more talk of it lately on CB.

My prediction is this summer a new BBOS device will be launched, how good will it is debatable, I was very disappointed the last time with the 9720.

It will more likely be positioned as a classic blackberry, Chen is not stupid, he knows there's a market for it, albeit a limited market but why let somebody else cash in on that?

I've started this thread so I can come back this summer and say "I told you so"

Mark my worlds.

Never gunna happen... Im sure ill be able to come on here this summer and say "everyone told u so" lol
    02-11-14 01:26 PM
    BIS is not being removed from carriers, BB said they'll support it indefinitely.

Has any carrier removed or announced to remove BIS yet? As far as I know they all still sell BIS accounts.

Keep telling yourself that. Just because BlackBerry said THEY would support it indefinitely doesn't mean carriers will and just to be clear, I'm not talking about the technical aspects of it. I'm talking about carriers system wide changes which include BIS plans, pricing and services.

Some carriers don't even offer BlackBerry OS devices any more so their offerings are essentially 'expired' plans and no longer in the system for new customers. Kind of like how a carrier that offered unlimited data but then decided they no longer wanted to offer that removes it as an option for new customers.

IF this is to believed, it's already started - http://forums.crackberry.com/vodafon...tember-903605/ And it's not the first time I heard of it being the case, there will be others. When BlackBerry 10 was released, they basically told everyone that BIS plans were no longer needed.

So, they'll have to go back and tell those carriers which were onboard with BlackBerry 10 and no longer offering BBOS devices that they have to once again make systematic changes to be able to offer BIS plans and even that assumes that carriers would even want to offer yet-another BBOS device.

One more bump in the road in some already rocky relationships. For your sanity sake though, I hope I'm wrong lol.
    sickyute, Its Spade, web99 and 7 others like this.
    02-11-14 01:28 PM
    Looking at my 9320 work phone makes me feel ill after using my z30.

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    web99, Elite1, Bor Navas and 1 others like this.
    02-11-14 01:29 PM
    I'm in two minds about this actually.

I continue to believe that BBOS is going the way of the dodo but, Belfast has a point. While there are people/enterprises willing to buy a BBOS phone, it makes good commercial sense to keep selling them one.

I wouldn't go so far as agreeing that they'll release a new BBOS handset this year, but I can see 99xx's being pushed into enterprise channels forever more. No, it'll never have Instagram or any of those other Apps... but it'll remain the peerless productivity tool that enterprises love.

It won't save BB as we know it (IMO). But, for a couple of years longer, it's a nice continuation of a revenue stream whilst BB try and sort out where their future lies. Which is probably as a non-hardware producing provider of software and services to enterprise.
    02-11-14 01:30 PM
    With the new Jakarta phone supposedly being price under $200, I dont think they'll make another Legacy device.
    02-11-14 01:34 PM
    Even if they prolong the transition by releasing "just one more" bbos phone (which I doubt), I'm not sure I'd call it a "legacy comeback"...

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    JeepBB, Elite1 and Mecca EL like this.
    02-11-14 01:36 PM
    If BlackBerry does not get it right this summer sad to say I am out. Years of dedication but need to knock it out the park this summer. Samsung or iPhone looks tempting right now. No joke! After new 10.2.1 update was great but having issues with Google n stuff working properly. I mean come on man!

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 01:42 PM
    Sorry Bel. Not gonna happen. But feel free to tell me "I told you so" if your prediction comes true. I'm betting on BB10 to GoForward. BBOS matured but 7 pushed the OS as far as it could go (and probably beyond). BB10 is still in its infancy and already very robust. Enjoy your chosen OS. I certainly am enjoying mine!
    02-11-14 01:42 PM
    Even the 9720 was electrodes on a dead frog, this makes even less business sense, in spite of the "market" that feels inadequate without a trackpad.
    02-11-14 01:48 PM
    There is one very big elephant in the room when it comes to BIS: every other platform offers nearly all the same services now, with no additional pricing or infrastructure needed.

BB is counting on BIS traffic to gradually decline to the point where they can offer it for free on legacy devices. They can't maintain the service revenue forever, and they're suffering a net loss of legacy customers every month.

I understand that many users were frustrated by the functionality gap between legacy BBOS and BB10. I get that. The thing is, BB10 has been improved pretty much continuously since launch and the gaps have either been filled, or the paradigm changed enough that some became irrelevant. There's no reason to believe that won't continue.

I don't know BlackBerry's plans, but they seem to be in a bit of a "quiet period" right now. That's not a bad thing; people have closely associated "BlackBerry" with "disaster" for the past few years now so maybe it's better to lay low. When they have a low-cost phone (as they will shortly with the Jakarta) and a marketing campaign that plays up the new Android compatibility, they can start pushing back a bit.
    02-11-14 01:50 PM
    Before this thread gets hot..... I kindly remind people to keep things civil.
    02-11-14 01:51 PM
    I'm in two minds about this actually.

I continue to believe that BBOS is going the way of the dodo but, Belfast has a point. While there are people/enterprises willing to buy a BBOS phone, it makes good commercial sense to keep selling them one.

I wouldn't go so far as agreeing that they'll release a new BBOS handset this year, but I can see 99xx's being pushed into enterprise channels forever more. No, it'll never have Instagram or any of those other Apps... but it'll remain the peerless productivity tool that enterprises love.

It won't save BB as we know it (IMO). But, for a couple of years longer, it's a nice continuation of a revenue stream whilst BB try and sort out where their future lies. Which is probably as a non-hardware producing provider of software and services to enterprise.
    I wouldn't count on an indefinite demand for legacy BBOS in enterprise. I'm an admin in a pretty conservative company, and in the past two years we've gotten significant pressure (i.e. at the VP level) to go BYOD. The easiest way for us to do that has been to go BES10, and we're now far enough along that the data center would really like to just drop BBOS entirely and move everyone to BB10.

Ironically, my company has decided to hold off on BYOD (I'm the only one in the company; I'm trialing BYOD with Balance on my personal Z30), but it still works out to the same thing. The devices are better, the management is easier, and we get more options. Yes, I'm sure there will be a fair number of midsize operations from whom you'll have to pry their 9900s from their cold dead fingers in five years, but for the most part the enterprise is ready to move on.
    02-11-14 01:57 PM
    The issue is cold turkey if you ask me. No more BBOS. The topic will remain hot until many or most of the legacy functionality is available on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 02:01 PM
    Keep telling yourself that. Just because BlackBerry said THEY would support it indefinitely doesn't mean carriers will and just to be clear, I'm not talking about the technical aspects of it. I'm talking about carriers system wide changes which include BIS plans, pricing and services.

Some carriers don't even offer BlackBerry OS devices any more so they're offerings are essentially 'expired' plans and no longer in the system for new customers. Kind of like how a carrier that offered unlimited data but then decided they no longer wanted to offer that removes it as an option for new customers.

IF this is to believed, it's already started - http://forums.crackberry.com/vodafon...tember-903605/ And it's not the first time I heard of it being the case, there will be others. When BlackBerry 10 was released, they basically told everyone that BIS plans were no longer needed.

So, they'll have to go back and tell those carriers which were onboard with BlackBerry 10 and no longer offering BBOS devices that they have to once again make systematic changes to be able to offer BIS plans and even that assumes that carriers would even want to offer yet-another BBOS device.

One more bump in the road in some already rocky relationships. For your sanity sake though, I hope I'm wrong lol.
    I think, unfortunately, Belfast's sanity went with his emails...

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 02:06 PM
    Ahhhh, I remember the days when CB threads started, randomly wandered off-course (often to the annoyance of OP), and quietly slipped down to a gentle retirement in page 2 obscurity.
    02-11-14 02:06 PM
    Full steam ahead with BB10 which is the future for BlackBerry.... BBOS...what, who....the chapter on that story is coming to an end once Jakarta gets released. Long live BB10
    02-11-14 02:08 PM
326 123 ...