The one thing I really like about my BB is the LED notification. Some say that the LED is the reason why they don't get iPhone, or some Androids, etc.

This got me thinking: why couldn't Apple simply have a flashing red dot on the screen itself when email, text, etc comes in? So we're talking about just a few pixels, can't possibly guzzle battery life. I don't know if there are any apps that do that, is it that it wouldn't be noticeable or bright enough like a LED? That way any phone that doesn't have a LED could basically mimic the BB functionality.

Just thinking out loud...
    07-20-12 01:14 PM
    The PlayBook does this so it's possible for sure.
    07-20-12 01:30 PM
    It may only be a few pixels, but the display is still powered on. An always powered on screen with zero pixels lit up will still eat more juice than an led that flashes at need.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-12 01:40 PM
    That's a good idea, especially if those users have used Blackberrys before.

I wouldn't like going back to a phone that doesn't use an LED alert. Its one of those 'How did we get on before' moments ...kept picking the phone up 20 times an hour I suppose.
    07-20-12 01:41 PM
    Maybe they will use the home button with an LED built in similar to where the Galaxy Nexus's LED is.
    07-20-12 01:44 PM
    Nokia does that with their AMOLED phones. The actual problem with "traditional" LCD Displays would be the matter of fact it can either be on or of. An AMOLED Display can turn single pixels off. So Symbian and Meego can how a "screensaver" with having a black screen and only a few pixels active for notifications and a clock. Actually Nokia did a decent job with that, search YouTube for "Nokia Sleeping Screen" to see it in action.

Samsung could do the ame on their AMOLED Androids, who know why they don't. It wouldn't work on an iPhone for the same reason it doesn't work on current Blackberries: you must have the whole screen active, even if you dim the brightness down completely (bedtime mode), the impact on battery life would be to much.

On future BB10 devices that would be possible thanks to their AMOLED screens.
    07-20-12 01:45 PM
    There's an app that does this on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.notify&hl=en

I had this on my Samsung Vibrant, the first Android phone I got after my 9700. It was pretty neat.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    07-20-12 02:07 PM
    Nokia does that with their AMOLED phones. The actual problem with "traditional" LCD Displays would be the matter of fact it can either be on or of. An AMOLED Display can turn single pixels off. So Symbian and Meego can how a "screensaver" with having a black screen and only a few pixels active for notifications and a clock. Actually Nokia did a decent job with that, search YouTube for "Nokia Sleeping Screen" to see it in action.

Samsung could do the ame on their AMOLED Androids, who know why they don't. It wouldn't work on an iPhone for the same reason it doesn't work on current Blackberries: you must have the whole screen active, even if you dim the brightness down completely (bedtime mode), the impact on battery life would be to much.

On future BB10 devices that would be possible thanks to their AMOLED screens.
    Thy can turn on individual pixels, but what about the backlight? I'm sure there's a way to make it work, but it would have to be built into the hardware from day 1.
    07-20-12 02:12 PM
    Thy can turn on individual pixels, but what about the backlight? I'm sure there's a way to make it work, but it would have to be built into the hardware from day 1.
    Might be wrong, but isn't the back light in LED screens a cluster of LEDs? They could only turn on the LEDs in a limited area of the screen.
    07-20-12 02:16 PM
    Might be wrong, but isn't the back light in LED screens a cluster of LEDs? They could only turn on the LEDs in a limited area of the screen.
    It could be any of the following. Option 3 would be the hardware required to allow for lighting up individual LEDs. Most phones use option 1. Due to how thin they are, they can't fit a full array of LEDs behind the screen.

- White edge-LEDs around the rim of the screen, using a special diffusion panel to spread the light evenly behind the screen (the most usual form)
    - An array of LEDs arranged behind the screen whose brightness are not controlled individually
    - A dynamic “local dimming” array of LEDs that are controlled individually or in clusters to achieve a modulated backlight light pattern
    07-20-12 02:25 PM
    There's an app that does this on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.notify&hl=en

I had this on my Samsung Vibrant, the first Android phone I got after my 9700. It was pretty neat.
    I've also used NoLED. It's pretty good and didn't drain my battery much to where it was a problem. Also, on the latest version, you can use different/better looking icons and the app is pretty customizable as far as alerts times, colors, etc...

Here's an old .
    07-20-12 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD