View Poll Results: Are you down for a new LED for BB10 phones!?!

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, if it ain't broken don't fix it

40 70.18%
  • Yes, it should glow like the Playbook

13 22.81%
  • Yes, but another way I will explain

2 3.51%
  • ......No, no LED for you! No LED for anyone!

2 3.51%
    I went to click on the BB link at top and saw the iphone forums, they had a hot topic, it was.....about LED notification. What truly intrigued me was their discussion and what it boiled down to, if you want to see the link here it is.

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5-for...ation-led.html

But I can make the 11 page post shorter for you; someone said wouldn't it be cool to have an LED light so you don't have to check your phone ( I thought that made sense and most people voted for it) then there was some people who were adamantly against it. Their logic was simple, I don't want that garbage feature anywhere on my iphone, it is ugly and stupid and yada yada. some said they get so many notifications it would be annoying. So then people said, what if the iphone had it, but just like every other device, allowed you to turn it on or off pending any circumstance. Again, there was a thichheaded no.

They said it would look ugly, EVEN, though the iphone has a proximity sensor, and speaker I guess and camera or something, so an led hole would make it look symmetric actually...people were still adamantly against it. Saying, you didn't buy an iphone for an LED go away and get a blackberry.

Again, very limited thought process, as the original iphone didn't have 3G or copy and paste, should people have never bought an iphone....

Anyway, my thoughts are this, I think iphone people mostly like not what is presented, but how is presented to them. They like to believe that their device may not have ideas first, but, they are first to implement them properly.

Which begs the question, are you interested in a new LED notification? Something that not only does its job, but also does it in style?

BBX won't have any buttons, if it did, I would say, have the whole phone glow on and off, or have the dedicated keys glow, but the PB did notifications well. They had the corner of the device kinda glow red when a notification was present, subtle, sleek, and useful.

What do you think? And when it is announced, it can still be that crackberry addictive light, but now in a mature, sexy form....that will make you tingle just saying LED.
    Last edited by pkcable; 08-09-12 at 10:43 PM. Reason: content edit
    dentynefire likes this.
    08-08-12 08:29 PM
    Really, 100+ reads, 7+ votes, and no one has anything to say about anything? I'm not asking you to change anything, just for your thoughts. I think a glowing corner of the screen would out iphone the iphone, whom, if they used notifications....would end up probably making the home button light up, ala the 360
    08-09-12 07:25 AM
    I read that thread a couple of days ago and found it, er . . . bizarre. I can see not using the LED, but being offended by the idea of it is weird. One post referred to it as "extra hardware" - I suppose technically it is, but it's not like a huge aerodynamic spoiler on the back or something!

I wonder if they felt the same when Apple recently gave them a slew of other useful stuff that BB had forever, like a podcasts app, a BBM knockoff, a removeable batt... oh, never mind on that one.

Anyway, I've got nothing against the iPhone - I like the size of it, the display is great, etc. But this kind of thinking would only encourage Apple not to tinker with it (read: innovate), and bloggers and forums are already pouncing on Apple for the "boring" iPhone 5 leaks. Btw, has anyone else noticed that? There's a storyline taking shape that after Steve Jobs, Apple has lost its ability to lead. It may be complete BS, but it's interesting to see these reports piggyback on each other - kind of reminds of the way they've gone after a tech company that I like a lot more than Apple!
    08-09-12 09:37 AM
    I read that thread a couple of days ago and found it, er . . . bizarre. I can see not using the LED, but being offended by the idea of it is weird. One post referred to it as "extra hardware" - I suppose technically it is, but it's not like a huge aerodynamic spoiler on the back or something!

I wonder if they felt the same when Apple recently gave them a slew of other useful stuff that BB had forever, like a podcasts app, a BBM knockoff, a removeable batt... oh, never mind on that one.

Anyway, I've got nothing against the iPhone - I like the size of it, the display is great, etc. But this kind of thinking would only encourage Apple not to tinker with it (read: innovate), and bloggers and forums are already pouncing on Apple for the "boring" iPhone 5 leaks. Btw, has anyone else noticed that? There's a storyline taking shape that after Steve Jobs, Apple has lost its ability to lead. It may be complete BS, but it's interesting to see these reports piggyback on each other - kind of reminds of the way they've gone after a tech company that I like a lot more than Apple!
    here is what one had to say about the bbm knockoff:

The range of communication amongst varying devices makes it a much more legitimate form of messaging, since it basically connects a computer using iMessage to an iPhone using iMessage to an iPad using iMessage to an iPod Touch using iMessage (etc etc etc). BBM was like the prehistoric version of this...which is REALLY obsolete now, and while iMessage is certainly not a necessity, it offers a world more functionality which keeps it relevant in many ways.
    08-09-12 09:59 AM
    Saw the discussion, and my wife has an iPhone and would like an LED notification. As to hiding it, my Treo has an LED, but unless it's blinking you don't see it.
    08-09-12 12:33 PM
    Did you guys know that theres a feature that makes the camera flash blink on new notifications?
    This, plus them bashing the LED and their phones appearances just makes me wanna punch a baby koala.
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 08-09-12 at 04:05 PM.
    08-09-12 04:02 PM
    Did you guys know that theres a feature that makes the camera flash blink on new notifications?
    This, plus them bashing the LED and their phones appearances just makes me wanna punch a baby koala.
    That's funny - "I do WANT a notification light. I just don't want it where I can actually see it." Hmmmm...
    shaleem and shemaree09 like this.
    08-09-12 04:55 PM
    It should have it.
    It's not a big deal (to me) if it doesn't
    but it wouldn't hurt to have one either.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-09-12 04:57 PM
    yeah I know I am aware.. And it's so screwed up lol
    08-09-12 05:42 PM
    Folks,

Lets keep the discussion focus on the topic, of the LED on our BB, and that blog at our sister site. Also please remember that iMore IS our sister site and a part of the Mobile Nations family. Many CBers are also members of iMore and other Mobile Nations sites, so lets play nice.
    jegs2 likes this.
    08-09-12 10:52 PM
    The range of communication amongst varying devices makes it a much more legitimate form of messaging, since it basically connects a computer using iMessage to an iPhone using iMessage to an iPad using iMessage to an iPod Touch using iMessage (etc etc etc). BBM was like the prehistoric version of this...which is REALLY obsolete now, and while iMessage is certainly not a necessity, it offers a world more functionality which keeps it relevant in many ways.
    Tried reading this 3 times. It doesn't make any sense. Actually not even a single sentence makes any sense.
    08-10-12 02:54 AM
    Tried reading this 3 times. It doesn't make any sense. Actually not even a single sentence makes any sense.
    It said, BBM was the beginning and is now outdated, which is true. RIM didn't include its best app on the Playbook.

But yes, back to the LED notification for the BB10 devices.

I didn't talk about Apple just to talk about them, I wanted to draw an inference from them and how their customers approach ideas.

SO, I was saying this basically, RIM is called REsearch IN MOtion....so why are things so stagnant? Yes, they have a camera app and touchscreen keyboard and want to move them forward by having you be able to go back in time for the perfect picture, or swipe up to type the perfect word, while still having a solid typing form, instead of swyping (aka scribblin) all over the phone.

Now, with the LED, I would say, if APPLE took the LED, they wouldn't keep it as is, they would make it sexy, and then sue when someone else tried to use it too. So what I am saying is, RIM already sexified their LED, it is on the Playbook and it looks great!

Why not include that on their new BB10 phones? Same purpose, just looks better.....what do you think about THAT
    08-11-12 05:02 PM
    Well it makes money so it makes sense, basically they want you to have 3 of their own devices, and have them show you the same information, which was taken straight from RIM. It isn't bad, but it makes sense. Now, calling BBM obsolete...that is bizarre.
    01-14-13 06:57 PM
    lol people still talking about orange phones.WE do our own thing and keep it moving we'll look but we dont give a ****.

RIM,Blackberry 10 oout here get with the program..
    01-14-13 07:05 PM
    iPhone 5 uses the camera flash as a led notifier, and it lids the whole room drawing everyone's attention when you get a notification, pretty cool and yet more annoying than BB's led.
    01-16-13 01:54 PM
    iPhone 5 uses the camera flash as a led notifier, and it lids the whole room drawing everyone's attention when you get a notification, pretty cool and yet more annoying than BB's led.
    And an Apple after thought innovation.
    01-16-13 11:13 PM

I think what we are observing is how the media have no original ideas, and like controversy. Apple is still innovating, and so is RIM. The media just cannot get much out of beating up poor RIM anymore at this point. They need to pick off someone else who is big. Apple is the easy target. By any measure, they are still doing great in all areas. Don't get me wrong, Apple could eventually show signs of slowing. If the media continues to publish that they are no longer cool, then it will hurt them just like RIM. Just 60 days ago Apple was innovative and cool as ever, and now they are not. Really?? The media are mostly worthless and like sheep.

As far as an LED, some find it very useful. I never used mine on my BB as I checked it when I wanted to check it. If something was an emergency, people should freaking call, not email. The LED just annoyed me. I am not a slave to my phone and the messages it receives. I can take or leave an LED. However, I know people that live by it and love it. To each his/her own.
    01-17-13 04:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD