When the blackberry phones had leather backs or came with leather holsters and pouches it was considered uncool and out dated.

Now Samsung is using a fake leather backing for their note 3. And apple is selling a leather case for their iPhone 5s.

Leather is elegant and blackberry knew it all along,

What gives??

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 10:07 PM
    I don't remember anyone saying the leather back was uncool or outdated when the 9000 had it. As to the leather cases thing I think that was more a generational thing and probably still is.

I do however agree wholeheartedly with your point about the elegance of leather, especially when it is good quality.
    10-13-13 10:10 PM
    I didn't know leather ever went out of style....WOW, I must be old....LOL

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 12:17 AM

What gives??

Posted via CB10
    Nothing. Fashion changes all the time. Wait another couple of years and it'll be out again.
    Sir Melon and SifiGamer like this.
    10-14-13 12:46 AM
    Leather backing on the 9000 was always cool. However leather holsters may have been considered uncool and out of style.

Posted via CB10
    Fnen90 likes this.
    10-14-13 01:06 AM
    Nah, people have told me my leather cases seem outdated.

It's a more elegant solution IMHO.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    10-14-13 03:24 AM
    I was hoping the Z10 would have had a fake leather back. Would have felt so much better in the hand, but thats my opinion. Maybe the next gen BB10 device in 2014 will spawn a leather backing of some sort. Also i hope blackberry, when privatized, starts doing things right like back in the day. I loved that fact that every BlackBerry device (atleast the ones i got) had a case with it in the box. It was just a refreshing surprise when you opened the box to find all your standard items and then a case to go with the device. Not sure why they dont do that anymore, maybe it was carrier specific or something im not sure. Anyways thats my 2 cents
    SifiGamer likes this.
    10-14-13 04:28 AM
    When the blackberry phones had leather backs or came with leather holsters and pouches it was considered uncool and out dated.

What gives??

Posted via CB10
    Uncool? Dated?

This is just outright false.
    Nobody. NOBODY even complained about free holsters ad pouches.

And the "leather back' was only present on a single model, the 9000. Years ago, hardly a trademark.

Ridiculous.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    10-14-13 05:33 AM
    Correct, only the original Bold had a (fake) leather back. And the OEM leather pocket pouches and holsters turned to cheap crap with OS 6.
    10-14-13 05:44 AM
    Leather is a pretty practical material to use. Feels and looks good, and protects devices well. Quite durable if you get a quality leather. Not sure it is entirely about style here.
    10-14-13 05:49 AM
    I like the leather cases, especially if their made from rich corinthian leather.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    10-14-13 06:22 AM
    Since when did it ever go away? BlackBerries have always looked stylish in black leather. Who gives a sh!t what the iDroid sheeple believe is fashionable right now?
    10-14-13 06:25 AM
    Holsters as such, i.e. wearing a phone clipped to the belt is uncool.
    But phone backs made of leather (real or faked) are and have always been awesome.
    I wish BB would still make these.
    10-14-13 06:43 AM
    Might be off topic but i miss the rubber-coating for battery / antenna on my first phone the T68 ericsson. T68 rubber back that was a brilliance really wish they would reintroduce it in moder phones, but It's probably difficult compared to plastic or Kevlar
    10-14-13 06:46 AM
    I didn't know leather ever went out of style....WOW, I must be old....LOL

Posted via CB10
    I guess I'm in the club with you....[=
    Spencerdl likes this.
    10-14-13 06:51 AM
    Oh no. Must be a conspiracy to get blackberry to lose money and fail. Now that it has happened. Samsung and apple are using leather.

On crackberry. Everyone is a pudding expert on tech.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 10-14-13 at 07:33 PM.
    10-14-13 06:56 AM
    Theres a few review videos where people mocked the 9000 saying the leather was uncool and out dated and even the recent videos some have said the holster and pouch is old school.

BlackBerry should patent leather and sue Samsung and apple.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:04 AM
    Holsters as such, i.e. wearing a phone clipped to the belt is uncool.
    But phone backs made of leather (real or faked) are and have always been awesome.
    I wish BB would still make these.
    I am absolutely uncool. Nobody takes the holster off my waist. Women pencil skirts don't have pockets AND putting a phone in a pocket gives us a strange bump on the hip.

So....I am a very uncool slave to fashion....which is really a contradiction, isn't it?
    10-14-13 10:08 AM
    I don't think it's a matter of leather being uncool as much as there being better shock proof and waterproof cases now. For me, for my non work devices, I prefer a skin that easily goes into my purse or into my jeans. Or now in winter into my jacket.
    10-14-13 10:12 AM
    Gives a phone a nice feel, even if it is an artifice. And most of the people I've known wearing belt holsters weren't trying to make a fashion statement, it was a necessity to protect or carry their device.
    10-14-13 10:21 AM
    I have the 9900 and I sure miss the leather feel from the 9700. Leather will never go out of style if done properly.
    10-14-13 10:27 AM
    There are several videos on Youtube where skilled workers show how they work with leather.
    But I could not find any videos of the people that make the leather.
    I think leather phone cases look nice and durable.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    10-14-13 10:47 AM
    I am absolutely uncool. Nobody takes the holster off my waist. Women pencil skirts don't have pockets AND putting a phone in a pocket gives us a strange bump on the hip.

So....I am a very uncool slave to fashion....which is really a contradiction, isn't it?
    I know that women only very rarely wear pants with pockets to put their phones in.
    The alternative is to put it into the handbag, which usually leads to missed calls due to longish phone seek times.
    So you are excused.
    I was mainly referring to guys. Them wearing phones on their hips is very tacky and very 90s. It's from these times when having a cellphone was something special, and putting it on display on a belt clip or holster usually created lots of admiration.
    10-14-13 12:01 PM
    I like the leather cases, especially if their made from rich corinthian leather.

Posted via CB10
    Of course! Why not the best?
    Spencerdl likes this.
    10-14-13 01:16 PM
    I personally love leather pouches and flip cases. Always have. I got a leather flip case for my current phone and I'd absolutely love it...but it makes my phone soooo bulky! Unlike Samsung's flip cases that replace the back of the phone, this has a pouch for the phone to fit in and then a flap over the top. It feels sturdy and well made, but I can't pocket it.
    10-14-13 01:29 PM
43 12