AMOLED and LCD have their own faults, gloating about the charging indicator is hollow when using the device outside is a pain.
    03-02-17 06:11 PM
    This is getting confusing. The light is too bright for you and when told it shuts off when dark you said not in low light (assuming your room isn't dark enough). But you still want the LED flashing when you sleep? Which is it? What do you want or is this complaints just for the sake of complaining.
    Let me answer this by aphorism. Do you want your phone to ring all the time or then someone calls you? It become standard that screen is ON then something happens (call,message,email,etc). Now then your phone screen is all ON (because LCD screen lights up all even blacks not like AMOLED) while charging from far away it looks like something happened (missed call,message,etc). it can begin to take paranoia to check and look because of uncertainty.
    Maybe it will sound funny to you, but it is real psychological practical everyday thing and stress no one wants.

+ In General, BlackBerry on the KEYone event was talking that #1 thing is long lasting battery, long typing hours and fast charging. Who cause biggest battery drains? Not screen? Why they did not put efficient screen? AMOLED, who also looks good and beautiful in all dark modes like "charge bar" while charging and saves battery life as hell, but instead they put LCD screen who eats all the power, all lights up even if all it have to show a green bar line on the right corner.
    It is the same complain like others complain an make jokes about Apples "Wireless is the future" but didn't include wireless charging.

Now it is up to you if it is complaints just for the sake of complaining.
    03-02-17 06:15 PM
    Since you are such a screen expert, care to explain to everyone what the difference in battery life would have been with an AMOLED screen? Would it have been 10 minutes longer, an hour, 10 hours? Do tell.

Keep in mind that LCD tech has improved vastly and I would be willing to bet the difference in battery life was too negligible for TCL to justify the cost.
    Last edited by ray689; 03-02-17 at 07:18 PM.
    03-02-17 06:23 PM
    And surely there are other BlackBerry phones that are LCD and weren't a problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 06:37 PM
    And surely there are other BlackBerry phones that are LCD and weren't a problem.

Posted via CB10
    The DTEK50 and Passport have LCD screens.
    03-02-17 06:47 PM
    iPhones use LCD too. For a competitively priced option that has upscale potential, LCD is clearly the best choice for a mid-range device.
    03-02-17 07:01 PM
    op, i love it is LCD for the reason (1) cheaper (2) better resolution, less color cross contamination, true color, stable battery performance, long term realibility (less aging effect), and less moisture sensitivity... (so it wouldn't turn to ugly brown yellow green on you...). check this AMOLED vs. LCD: Should Apple switch to AMOLED display for future iPhones?
    It just give me more reason to buy a BB. sensible design.
    03-02-17 07:27 PM
    I like my passport with ips lcd screen. I also like my Q10 with amoled screen. Both are good. Both look nice. Moving along...

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    03-02-17 07:37 PM
    AMOLED looks great indoors but is a PITA in the sun. A quality LCD really is the way to go.
    03-02-17 11:11 PM
    I enjoy the high contrast of an amoled as well. But the battery life argument has already been put to rest. A lot of lcd displays can light a secondary back light that is Power efficient ad only lights up part of the screen. .my g5 for instance has an always on display with lcd. Blacks look great. Screen almost looks off completely. And price is probably about the same now. As amoled has become the Norm for a lot of manufacturing the production got scaled up and price came down per unit. True to life colors are best represented on a lcd panel . High contrast might look appealing but it's not as accurate at reproducing colors. Screen tech has come a long way and any differences for power consumption and price are negligible today. I have tested the always on display on my lcd lg g5 and turning it off it took about 10 minutes off my battery life. The secondary back light may be working in the BlackBerry phone as well ?
    03-03-17 05:49 AM
    Let me answer this by aphorism. Do you want your phone to ring all the time or then someone calls you? It become standard that screen is ON then something happens (call,message,email,etc).
    Yes, I want Mirasol(when its ready)

Am I derailing the thread yet?
    03-03-17 02:28 PM
    LCD is beautiful in its own right. The only thing AMOLED has over LCD for me is the black! But only aesthetically. Plus, I never charge my phone at night and you can always press the power button to shut off the screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 03:50 PM
    Crap, this whole time I thought it was using a bad AMOLED display, figured it's due to them being test units, just checked GSMArena, had no idea it was IPS LCD, yikes.
    03-03-17 04:08 PM
    The DTEK50 and Passport have LCD screens.
    I still love the screen on my Z10, which works in all light conditions.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-03-17 04:26 PM
    Put it face down while charging then.

Posted via CB10
    To easy.......please crying about nothing is so much fun.....lol
    03-03-17 08:13 PM
    To easy.......please crying about nothing is so much fun.....lol
    Lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 09:44 PM
    Updated:

Here is a picture of the reason #1 why LCD screens on BlackBerry devices must be ditched and replaced with AMOLED screens immediately starting with KEYone:

Attachment 418491

This is how screen must look while charging, only green line showing, all other screen is OFF:

Attachment 418492

Full video:

IMHO, if TCL/BlackBerry Mobile all talks in the event about making devices last long as possible and are truly into max battery life, then they did an ignorant job by putting LCD screen instead of AMOLED on KEYone, like Apple ignorant talk about "wireless is the future" but not including wireless charging.

Why put a lot of hard work by making all the "special softwares" and "3... USB-C ports" to make a quick charge as possible and ruin everything by putting LCD screen instead of AMOLED?? They don't see that LCD screen is ALL ON just to show green charging line while charging??

How much this slow down the charging?

Reason #2 .
    How do you sleep with Dtek50 at night while charging? Doesn't all light up screen bother you?

Same thing is done with Dtek50. All screen is lighten up while charging and if you are at night or low light all LCD screen just screams with the light! It looks so ignorant to do the same mistake with newest KEYone model. Seriously ignorant. No offence just fact.

Reason #3 .
    And the worst thing it looks really ugly in lower light with LCD, but it looks damn sexy with AMOLED screen + efficient as it can be.

AMOLED screen must be BB standard like they did with PRIV and Dtek60. Here is no logic to put not efficient LCD screen on any BB devices and stupid as F, period
    Somebody tell me this guy is not being serious please. Like... wtf? Who does that?
    03-04-17 01:38 AM
    Somebody tell me this guy is not being serious please. Like... wtf? Who does that?
    I just did
    03-04-17 02:13 AM
    Does it matter then in the daytime?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, in general how efficient is to charge the battery while ALL screen is ON?
    03-04-17 02:18 AM
    Amoled is not good enough for outdoor use in the sun. Regardless of how great you think it is. Furthermore, amoled isn't much better for battery life considering you're not glancing at a mostly black screen all the time.

Not to mention that amoled screens sometimes have a kind of ghosting effect when going from black to any other color, and usually don't dim as smoothly as lcd does.

If you prefer amoled it doesn't mean it's better.
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-04-17 02:36 AM
    Amoled is not good enough for outdoor use in the sun. Regardless of how great you think it is. Furthermore, amoled isn't much better for battery life considering you're not glancing at a mostly black screen all the time.

Not to mention that amoled screens sometimes have a kind of ghosting effect when going from black to any other color, and usually don't dim as smoothly as lcd does.

If you prefer amoled it doesn't mean it's better.
    Thanks for constructive feedback, I remember good days with my Z30 with AMOLED, I loved to use black background, screen looked infinite till the edges

I mostly prefer AMOLED just because of blacks, you can see in my #1 post how different charging looks beautiful with PRIV and ugly/cheap all screen ON with KEYone + how efficient charging is that??
    Last edited by iHadLastBB; 03-04-17 at 03:33 AM.
    03-04-17 03:17 AM

IMHO, if TCL/BlackBerry Mobile all talks in the event about making devices last long as possible and are truly into max battery life, then they did an ignorant job by putting LCD screen instead of AMOLED on KEYone, like Apple ignorant talk about "wireless is the future" but not including wireless charging.
    While I do agree with you that AMOLED display would look simply much better on a KEYone, Apple did nothing wrong. "Wireless is the future" means if we don't give you the wireless charging, you will get it in starting one of the next generations. Or they simply meant "wireless (headset) is the future".

Posted through my  Z30
    03-04-17 06:01 AM
    While the LCDs of Blackberry are ok, I do prefer AMOLED. I've seen much worse LCD panels than the ones in Blackberry. Sony's triluminus dispay looks very weird when looking at them while the LCDs of brands feels more natural including Blackberry.

For those who like AMOLED, you are in luck. Right now new fabs are being built and which will double the OLED display production.

Digitimes: Chinese OLED makers to more than double their OLED capacity each year between 2016-2020 | OLED-Info

Right now be are just in the beginning of the OLED adoption like we were with color LCD monitors in the beginning of the 1990s. AMOLED displays will become better, cheaper and more reliable. AMOLED displays will become standard just as LCD is the standard today and the past decade. Future phones will much likely have AMOLED displays that LCDs and AMOLED displays will start to displace LCD displays and they will only be used for certain usages.

Ahead we also have QDLED diplays (not QLED+LCD displays á la Samsung) but these are just in prototype stage right now. We'll see how they will turn out.
    03-04-17 06:58 AM
    An Amoled screen? You mean like on high range Android phones or low range Lumia? Nah. You know, TCL is a little handcrafting company. Did you remember the Q10? It featured an Amoled screen, and things went bad: this is why TCL avoided it, Amoleds are evil.
    Anyway, I'm not sure you know how a line of logic works here. Don't dare you again telling us the KEYone costs too much, it's actually a very, very low price: if TCL were to place it at its true market value, the KEYone would cost at least 2899$ (VAT excluded).
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-04-17 07:08 AM
    An Amoled screen? You mean like on high range Android phones or low range Lumia? Nah. You know, TCL is a little handcrafting company. Did you remember the Q10? It featured an Amoled screen, and things went bad: this is why TCL avoided it, Amoleds are evil.
    Could you please explain what went bad with the Q10 or even point out a source.

The reason some manufacturers choose certain displays are because they tend to stick with some suppliers. It it obvious that Blackberry is using the same LCD supplier for several models. AMOLED production will ramp up and more companies will offer these displays so it is just a matter of time TCL are using them as well.
    03-04-17 07:18 AM
52 123