under the layer option in google map...there is an option for "my map." what is that? is that a you draw and save? can any1 explain this features and what is it for? if it is a map that you can draw...how do u do it? thx.
    01-16-10 05:16 PM
    That's so you can log on to your Google account, and access saved maps. Pretty sweet, and the street view feature has been a life saver.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 05:28 PM
    That's so you can log on to your Google account, and access saved maps. Pretty sweet, and the street view feature has been a life saver.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

saved map? can u elaborate on this feature? i have a google account. do i just log into maps.google.com on my browser and put in an address and click on save and then it will appear on my google map on my bb?
    01-16-10 05:43 PM
    If you've used Google maps on your PC before, and saved a map while signed in, when you are signed in on your device you can access it. Also, when signed in on your device, if you save a map, it will pull that up for you. It's much easier to understand by using it.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-16-10 05:48 PM
    yup just tested it...worked like u said...but to me that is pretty useless...google maps already have "favorites" feature which act as save map.

but anyway...i have see other users who draw on google map...like map a bike route...is there a way where i can draw a map route on google map and save it and then when i open it up under my blackberry, it will appear? yes or no? if yes, how do i map/draw a bike route?
    01-16-10 05:51 PM
    That's the point, directions. Hit the menu key, select get directions, enter the start and end points, along with method of travel, and it maps it out. The benefit of saving the maps, is upon upgrade of either maps or the device OS, you will loose your favorites.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-16-10 05:57 PM
    That's the point, directions. Hit the menu key, select get directions, enter the start and end points, along with method of travel, and it maps it out. The benefit of saving the maps, is upon upgrade of either maps or the device OS, you will loose your favorites.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

how about a map that i draw? can i draw a route map intead using "get direction" and let it compute the route for me? if so, how can i draw the map?
    01-16-10 06:42 PM
    You can keep pressing reroute, till you get what you want, but the idea is for it to do the work for you.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-16-10 07:03 PM
    You can keep pressing reroute, till you get what you want, but the idea is for it to do the work for you.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Any other way beside reroute? I know it is supposed to work for me. But I bike and like to do my own route. I would like to avoid street that are heavy in traffic and highway don't allow bike. Perhaps if u visit bikely.com...u know what I'm talking about.

01-16-10 07:19 PM
    Guy, from your BB that option would be impossible. Never noticed the feature on PC, but since I'm tyring to take care of a sick dog right now, maybe you could look yourself.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-16-10 07:37 PM
    I don't recall how right now but you can create a map with via points on googlemap.

I did it a year or so ago and then was able to export that Itinerary to my TomTom gps unit. There was a way of "rubberbanding" the route and pulling points where you wanted turns and such.

The problem on the BB is that it may not track YOUR route when you enter the info but want to automatically re-route. Give it a try if you can figure it out.

edited to add:

Okay, there was a separate program for the Tomtom but it got me back into it.

Open googlemaps on computer. Pick a start point (right click and add destination). Find the next point and right click - add destination. Keep going. If you point to the map, you can rubberband and move the point or midpoint to another intersection. Keep on..... Now SAVE IT to your maps.

Now log in on the BB's google maps and pick layer using BB button. Find and load YOUR map. It shows my various points.

Now, whether you can really follow that route while on a bike..... But I do have a complex route for biking north of Seattle that I tried loading to my Garmin but it really is hard to deal with. But this might work with enough stops....

Let us know .........
    Last edited by F2; 01-16-10 at 10:11 PM.
    01-16-10 09:33 PM
    f2: yeah i tried ur tricks...it works good...can't complain since it is free...on some route...even when i tried to move to reroute to my own liking, it picks the closest route and not mine. i guess that is fine for now until someone come out with a site that u can draw ur own map and export it to google map on my bb.
    01-17-10 12:24 PM
    If I understand your issue, it is "re-routing" from your choices???

I was able to do a block by block by constantly adding new destination points. And if I skipped say 10 blocks and it picked another route, I was able to "grab" the route-line and drag it where I wanted it to go.
    01-17-10 01:32 PM
    If I understand your issue, it is "re-routing" from your choices???

I was able to do a block by block by constantly adding new destination points. And if I skipped say 10 blocks and it picked another route, I was able to "grab" the route-line and drag it where I wanted it to go.
    That may work. Adding new destination block by block. I will give it a try later on.

01-17-10 02:01 PM
    f2: ok i create and save a route...but when i go back and tried to delete it...i could delete only one point...i have like 20 + points...how do u delete them? it is still under my saved map.
    01-17-10 04:38 PM
    I definitely am not an expert at this. I tried creating a "route" and apparently added too many "addresses" and it all dissolved.

I remembered a friend used some pedometer site. It appears to be related to google but I don't see how you save a MY MAP which could be used in the Layers on the BB.

You might investigate it.

I can be setup for biking:

Gmaps Pedometer
    01-17-10 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD