From Yahoo! News:

Reuters
    Launch of RIM's 3G BlackBerry faces delay: report
    Friday April 25, 1:04 pm ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Research in Motion (Toronto:RIM.TO - News) shares fell about 4 percent on Friday after a Fortune.com story said that a high-speed wireless version of its BlackBerry smartphone for top U.S. phone company AT&T Inc (NYSE:T - News) is facing delays.

ADVERTISEMENT
    The introduction has been pushed back as far as August from June, the story on Fortune magazine's website said, citing unnamed people close to the companies. The reason for the delay was unclear, but AT&T had worries about call quality, the report said.

"RIM's policy is to decline comment on rumors and speculation," spokeswoman Marisa Conway said via email. AT&T declined comment on the timing of any future product plans.

A delay for the phone, which the report said may be called Meteor, could have an impact on phone shipments and subscriber growth.

Shares in Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM dropped 4.1 percent at mid-session on Friday to C$120.50 on the Toronto Stock Exchange and to $118.59 on Nasdaq.

AT&T's Chief Financial Officer Rick Lindner referred to plans for a high-speed BlackBerry with third generation, or 3G, technology on a quarterly earnings conference call earlier this week, but did not give a date for the launch.

"We're just starting to see a BlackBerry 3G come out. As those integrated devices move to 3G, I think that will be the next catalyst to drive stronger 3G growth," he said.

"New customers coming in today, if they are buying a phone, many times, particularly postpaid customers, they're primarily going to 3G."

RIM has said it will introduce devices based on HSDPA, a high-speed 3G wireless technology that is popular in Europe and used by AT&T.

"Certainly going to HSDPA is something that's very important to us in the near term," Chief Executive Jim Balsillie told Reuters in a February interview.

TD Newcrest analyst Chris Umiastowski speculated about the timing of RIM 3G device shipments in a recent note that lowered his earnings estimates and stock target.

"We believe the device is on track to be available either at the end of May or in June. That said, we are not yet clear on when AT&T will start selling the device," he wrote.

"Perhaps it will launch in Europe (with Vodafone) prior to hitting North American soil?...A launch of this upcoming 3G device either by AT&T or Vodafone should result in a significant number of hardware shipments within the first full quarter of launch."

AT&T and rival carrier Verizon make up about 40 percent of RIM's new subscriber growth, the analyst estimated.

AT&T, the exclusive U.S. carrier for Apple Inc's (NasdaqGS:AAPL - News) iPhone, a competitor to BlackBerry, hinted at a U.S trade show earlier this month that it expects to have a 3G version of iPhone in coming months. It did not give a specific date.

($1=$1.02 Canadian)

(With additional reporting by Sinead Carew in New York; Editing by Peter Galloway)
    04-25-08 12:35 PM
    One thing I noticed was the lack of a device name in this article. The "BlackBerry smartphone" could be a Pearl, Curve, something else? The article seems to be written by somebody who doesn't know much about the RIM product line.
    04-25-08 01:12 PM
    While a 3G BB would be nice, I'd be much happier if RIM would release 4.5 OS by June. I'm not going to rush out and replace my current Curve for only a 3G enhancement.
    04-25-08 01:12 PM
    While a 3G BB would be nice, I'd be much happier if RIM would release 4.5 OS by June. I'm not going to rush out and replace my current Curve for only a 3G enhancement.
    Ditto, I've read that the "software" that drives EDGE is going to be upgraded to allow for faster speeds. It appears to be a widespread beleif that EDGE has been maxed out when it appears thats not the case.

So the question becomes would you still upgrade if EDGE was capable of faster speeds with a software upgrade? Remember the software that drives EDGE is not the property of AT&T but (I beleive) of Siemans. AT&T wants you to upgrade to a 3G phone while Siemans is looking to improve EDGE with a simple software upgrade. Think about it.
    04-26-08 01:37 PM
    Ditto, I've read that the "software" that drives EDGE is going to be upgraded to allow for faster speeds. It appears to be a widespread beleif that EDGE has been maxed out when it appears thats not the case.

So the question becomes would you still upgrade if EDGE was capable of faster speeds with a software upgrade? Remember the software that drives EDGE is not the property of AT&T but (I beleive) of Siemans. AT&T wants you to upgrade to a 3G phone while Siemans is looking to improve EDGE with a simple software upgrade. Think about it.
    I can't speak on a majority basis, but my personal feelings are that I would absolutely still upgrade. Having had 3G smartphones and going back to EDGE is much akin to dropping back to dialup after having used cable. Being a person that became accustomed to 3G speed, I miss it every single time I surf the web from my Berry. Even if EDGE speed was to be increased, I still don't think it would compare to 3G, especially not HSDPA (which my Tilt runs on thanks to a small hack).

There is truth in the statement that EDGE isn't that slow, but it definitely lags quite a ways behind 3G.
    04-26-08 03:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD