your right about not mentioning enough of the features, CNN is posting on there money site that the Z10 feels six months behind all the other phone os's. This is so sad, the hate that the media has for blackberry in favor of apple and android they can't even admit when a device is just as good or better than there beloved ios.
    This is absurd. That article spends more time than not praising features of BB10, and acknowledging it's strengths. He also writes explicitly about why it feels late/behind to him eg. the all-plastic casing, the app situation, and the fact that he finds the z10 slow and choppy at times. All of that is quite fair.
    01-30-13 05:51 PM
    Well what did you expect? You want the physical keys to transform into the suggested words?
    obviously not... lol
    what I am saying is that because it is so different it should have been shown AS DIFFERENT not just ignored
    01-30-13 05:56 PM
    anyone interested in BB and coming to this site today for more detailed info is quickly going to leave....A LOT of cannibalism going on here....why are we out and out destroying a phone and company we supposedly love........Ri-god-damn-dic-cu-lous......you didn't get everything you wanted so move on......

you find frustration at the intersection of expectation and reality.......
    01-30-13 06:54 PM
    We can only hope that BlackBerry powers to be read the sentiments of ardent BB fans here and strive to improve their promotion of this advanced and user friendly BB10 OS. We can only hope. Market sentiment so far not very promising
    01-30-13 07:09 PM
    We can only hope that BlackBerry powers to be read the sentiments of ardent BB fans here and strive to improve their promotion of this advanced and user friendly BB10 OS. We can only hope. Market sentiment so far not very promising
    I thnk that for the most part the 'frustration; is kept to a few threads and the rest is just comments on reviews and things like that
    01-30-13 07:22 PM
    It's funny. I watched most of the launch event, and mostly it gave me a feeling of excitement about BB. Then I came here on CB and found that almost everyone hated it, and I started to wonder if I should have hated it too. Such is peer pressure. But I didn't hate it. I only hated the US carrier delay part, but since there had already been a Tmobile leak to that effect, I didn't have much hope for an early release from them anyway. Maybe my standards for launch events are too low, but I thought what we got was a whirlwind tour, more of a montage than an explanation, and for some reason I thought that was appropriate. I even appreciated the contribution of Alicia Keys, an excellent way to start to give the BlackBerry brand some mindshare that's artistic and creative rather than corporate and utilitarian. I found myself thinking yes, this is the right direction.

This idea that BB10 needs to leave people gobsmacked and ready to throw their iPhones and SG3s in the crapper has always seemed delusional to me. BB10 is fresh and interesting, an attractive alternative to what's already out there, and that's good enough if they can just stay in the game and work on incremental growth. I think that if the phones were available in the US by next week, many would have a different feeling about the quality of today's event. We'd all be saying that, whatever Thor's shortcomings as a presenter, the phones will sell themselves, and so on. But instead we got the delay announcement, which was the turd in the punchbowl.

Somehow that affects the punch.
    01-30-13 07:29 PM
    How come no person from the Crackberry team has entertained any of the many threads on this issue. Come on Kevin, your input here would be useful and interesting.
    Maybe he is partying with Thorsten (or in jail after attacking Thorsten over his missing ponytail).
    01-30-13 07:48 PM
    Well what did you expect? You want the physical keys to transform into the suggested words?
    that actually made me laugh haha
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-13 07:51 PM
    Don't change your mind. Plenty of people in the audience - which I felt was very low on energy - said afterwards it was exactly what BlackBerry needed. Not that it was the worst launch of all time (leave those to Microsoft) but it wasn't high energy.

The phones have to sell themselves. I have a list of things I am not thrilled with on the Z10. And I haven't tried most of the new functionality.

This is just the beginning. The hard work - selling the devices - just begins now.

Now that people are disappointed or whatever with this event (HOW ABOUT THAT ALICIA KEYS) I am not getting my hopes up for the Super Bowl commercials.
    01-30-13 07:51 PM
    It's funny. I watched most of the launch event, and mostly it gave me a feeling of excitement about BB. Then I came here on CB and found that almost everyone hated it, and I started to wonder if I should have hated it too. Such is peer pressure. But I didn't hate it. I only hated the US carrier delay part, but since there had already been a Tmobile leak to that effect, I didn't have much hope for an early release from them anyway. Maybe my standards for launch events are too low, but I thought what we got was a whirlwind tour, more of a montage than an explanation, and for some reason I thought that was appropriate. I even appreciated the contribution of Alicia Keys, an excellent way to start to give the BlackBerry brand some mindshare that's artistic and creative rather than corporate and utilitarian. I found myself thinking yes, this is the right direction.

This idea that BB10 needs to leave people gobsmacked and ready to throw their iPhones and SG3s in the crapper has always seemed delusional to me. BB10 is fresh and interesting, an attractive alternative to what's already out there, and that's good enough if they can just stay in the game and work on incremental growth. I think that if the phones were available in the US by next week, many would have a different feeling about the quality of today's event. We'd all be saying that, whatever Thor's shortcomings as a presenter, the phones will sell themselves, and so on. But instead we got the delay announcement, which was the turd in the punchbowl.

I agree. I dont necessarily think it was bad but I think a lot of people were expecting more. I didnt even expect it to necessarily "leave people godsmacked (lol)" but dont you think they were a little lite on discussing the features of BB10?

like ive said in other threads, its almost like they secretly have another event planned to reveal more of its secrets or something...
    01-30-13 07:55 PM
    I would of hoped that this whole presentation would be scripted by their CMO, Frank Boulbin (sorry of its spelled wrong) and each and every point was gone over with a fine tooth comb. They may be great engineers but lousy presenters.

You can have the best product with the best features in the world, but if nobody knows about it, it's useless.

-j
    Gregg Hogg likes this.
    01-30-13 08:03 PM
    I bet there wil be a lot of new stuff to see once we get our new devices.
    If BlackBerry was giving existing BlackBerry smartphone users a free BlackBerry Z10 your statement might make sense. However, we are not getting a device, we have to buy a device to discover these mystery features not revealed during the presentation. Vivek spent an inordinate amount of time flicking around the BlackBerry Hub without doing a darn thing. He pulled the same stunt last year. These folks were the worse presenters I have witnessed; Alicia Keys was a breath of fresh air after the three or four RIM snore-fest doo-doos and contrived golf claps. Where was the CMO? Did Heins just step off the airplane moments before the event or oversleep after a night of back-slapping and drinking? RIM still does not get it.
    01-30-13 08:06 PM
    Now that people are disappointed or whatever with this event (HOW ABOUT THAT ALICIA KEYS) I am not getting my hopes up for the Super Bowl commercials.
    No offence meant towards Ms. Keys but she was the best part of the BlackBerry 10 Reveal Event. Kevin should have rushed the stager and popped Thorsten in the nose for the epic disappointment and BlackBerry's return amateur hour.
    SoCalRedbird likes this.
    01-30-13 08:10 PM
    If BlackBerry was giving existing BlackBerry smartphone users a free BlackBerry Z10 your statement might make sense. However, we are not getting a device, we have to buy a device to discover these mystery features not revealed during the presentation. Vivek spent an inordinate amount of time flicking around the BlackBerry Hub without doing a darn thing. He pulled the same stunt last year. These folks were the worse presenters I have witnessed; Alicia Keys was a breath of fresh air after the three or four RIM snore-fest doo-doos and contrived golf claps. Where was the CMO? Did Heins just step off the airplane moments before the event or oversleep after a night of back-slapping and drinking? RIM still does not get it.
    \

I agree lol. Im gonna buys regardless.....but....i kinda like to know exactly what im getting for my hard earned money. Mayb im weird for that lol
    01-30-13 08:10 PM
    I thought they had to do 2 things today:

1. Show people this isn't your Dad's BB - for the most part I thought they did that. Most of the major complaints of BB7 and lower were addressed as a "yes we heard you check this out" type deal, especially pausing to say Skype was "confirmed". I would grade B+. I would have given an A but I thought they wasted too much time on "building enthusiasm all over the world" and neglected the really cool parts of the phone - how in the world could you have forgotten to showcase that browser for goodness sake!

2. Get some of their "cool" back - especially since it's generally admitted at the moment Apple has lost some of theirs. This is where I felt they failed. I thought they should not have used Thorsten for the whole presentation, it didn't work for Mike and it doesn't work for him. He's a great manager, but he's too low key. His part could have ended at the thanks to the employees. Either hand it off or let someone like Alec who just exudes enthusiasm to drag us all in with him. They thought Alicia Keys was cool and it could have been, but it went too long, and again Thor would have been better served to let someone else do it.
    If this was Frank B's first test, I thought he got a C- here.
    01-30-13 08:11 PM
    Here's where I am. I was also left unimpressed after the launch event. I guess we were all expecting more. Felt like a lost opportunity for Blackberry. Even us in Canada know that a March release in the US isn't good. Just giving the media more negative things to run with.
    But as time has passed, I remember the good things, there is a ton to be excited about. Lots of good apps and more to come. The keyboard, hub, calender, remember, bbm, timeshift, voice control, picture and video editing, nfc, better browsing, awesome hardware, etc etc. It is just too bad that all that good is being overshadowed by the disappointment.
    With just a better US launch, faster Q10 availability, and a playbook date given, the mood would surely be much better.
    Still optimistic about the future though.
    01-30-13 08:14 PM
    Like i said, i totally want one still. 100%. I just wantto see if we can come up with a way to fill the gap of what was presented and what is actually there to discuss.

I wantto know how the NFC works, and they didnt mention it... So what is the solution?

Things like that.
    01-30-13 08:16 PM
    Please share more insight when you have more time and fun with it.
    01-30-13 10:56 PM
    NFC is (at best) a work in progress. It is a solution looking for a problem. Will it be useful one day - I think so.
    But today (or tomorrow as it is late) isn't that day.
    01-30-13 11:03 PM

I'm with you 100% here! I actually liked it. For once, RIM had the spotlight turned totally on it and I think the presentation was great. Okay, Thorsten Heins isn't Steve Jobs, but no one is. And I disagree that someone other than him should have conducted this event. It was his company's time to shine and as the leader, he needed to play a major role in this announcement. The entire event made me not only excited for BlackBerry 10, but also for the future of RIM (now BlackBerry which, again, I found the renaming announcement to be epic!). The only "disappointment" would be the March release date here in the U.S., but even looking further into that suggests that it could be earlier depending on the carrier.

I love the device, I love the OS, and, in general, love what BlackBerry has done! And we have to keep in mind that this is just the starting point. Any shortcomings in the OS will be fixed and improved upon. This is version 1.0. Just think about what this OS can evolve into and become!
    Denenatse likes this.
    01-30-13 11:12 PM
    I think if there were lasers and puppets, people would have enjoyed the launch more, but that's neither here nor there. There is so many premium applications that have come free with this phone, that work flawlessly, and anything that wasn't included, can be added from the BB store. I am not disappointed. It's smooth, intuitive, beautifully designed in the sense of what people want(i personally do NOT want a speckled or stone blue phone). When it comes down to it, if you are Canadian, you should be voting to have BB on our currency.
    01-31-13 01:32 AM
    This company needed to leave absolutely no question that they were back and that they would, as famously stated, leapfrog the competition.

They did not accomplish the first. No browser, no Viki. No opportunity taken to kick Apple on the maps problem.

No evidence that they have leapt any frogs. Not even walked over an ant. For me, failure on the second thing they NEEDED to do.

Failure to execute a comeback knockout....as was said that this would be an Ali in the 8th round.

Very sadly, I see nothing to compel me away from my SGIII. This will be the first time EVER I will not buy a Blackberry flagship device on launch day. I will wait for my upgrade.

Maybe then.

RIM is now Blackberry, but all I see is RIM, same as yesterday's RIM.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    mikeo007, kbz1960 and randall2580 like this.
    01-31-13 05:34 AM
    It is a great BlackBerry. But it is NOT the revolutionary device that so many are bragging about (like they built it).
    It will sell well. I presentation was mediocre. No energy at all in New York. The stock markets spoke for themselves.
    Is the Z10 going to save RIM sorry BlackBerry. Not sure. Have to wait 3 months to see sales figures.

There are so many things that my Lumia 920 (using that horrible Windows Phone 8 that no one uses) does better and faster than the Z10. Like selecting multiple e-mails out of sequence to be deleted. Like being able to change the font size of the e-mail message (NOT JUST CHANGE THE SIZE OF THE MENU ITEM).

And no wireless charging. RIM missed a big leapfrog there. Spoke to them about that yesterday.

There's a reason they didn;'t show the browser. It is just like every other premium phone browser. Sure, compared to BB7 it is great, but it is so similar to the SGS III and Lumia browsers that it isn't a differentiator.

I SO MUCH WANT TO LOVE THE Z10 (I would prefer the Q10 but that's not out for 3 months) THAT THIS IS DISAPPOINTING.

I am sure some will be lining up for it. I hope everyone loves it. I hope BlackBerry profits and survives.

I think this was overhyped (by people here) and underdelivered.
    01-31-13 05:42 AM
    Thank God for Kevin's fair review instead of the fanboys and their overdose of bravado.

Yesterday's launch did not silence my discontent I was SO excited for a perfectly executed launch of a next to perfectly executed product.

Opportunities missed.

I will get it in June for what I believe it's worth, $199.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-13 06:24 AM
    Thank God for Kevin's fair review instead of the fanboys and their overdose of bravado.

Yesterday's launch did not silence my discontent I was SO excited for a perfectly executed launch of a next to perfectly executed product.

Opportunities missed.

I will get it in June for what I believe it's worth, $199.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    The launch was absolutely awful, zero excitement, zero show of passion. Thorsten looked EXACTLY as he did in May of last year when showcasing MOST of the same features. Sure everything is polished now, sure it works very well, but this was BlackBerry's BIG chance to show what they have done. I think this launch will very much hurt them.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-13 06:29 AM
128 ... 23456