42K in few days..I would like to see 150000 apps by release, I think we are close. Just to shut up those rim haters
    01-20-13 12:43 AM
    I just hope this app count doesn't include a bunch of launcher apps and books because the current appworld is full of them.
    Unfortunately, it will because they were encouraging people to use the BlackBerry App Generator which are launchers for blogs or websites, etc.
    But number wise, that only helps to get people's attention. Most people aren't going to be counting the apps until after launch, in which case hopefully more developers flock to BB10. Besides, for the people who care about numbers, they don't seem to care about the fact that there are 10,000 flash light apps on the Apple and google store, so those are really the people RIM is trying to satisfy with the portathon.

As for if there will be any quality apps, RIM already said something like 80% of the top 100 will be on BB10 and something like 19 of the 20 top apps will be on BB10.

But we will really only know when we all get our hands on the BB10 and start to use it.
    BB_Bmore and jakie55 like this.
    01-20-13 12:44 AM
    Unfortunately, it will because they were encouraging people to use the BlackBerry App Generator which are launchers for blogs or websites, etc.
    But number wise, that only helps to get people's attention. Most people aren't going to be counting the apps until after launch, in which case hopefully more developers flock to BB10. Besides, for the people who care about numbers, they don't seem to care about the fact that there are 10,000 flash light apps on the Apple and google store, so those are really the people RIM is trying to satisfy with the portathon.

As for if there will be any quality apps, RIM already said something like 80% of the top 100 will be on BB10 and something like 19 of the 20 top apps will be on BB10.

But we will really only know when we all get our hands on the BB10 and start to use it.
    I'm hoping for quality apps at BB10 purchase time, it would be a shame to have a flood of garbage apps for a phone that looks this awesome.
    01-20-13 09:06 AM
    Superfly_FR
    Did you get your problem fixed & app in, in time?
    Nope, strange issue with sounds still here.
    Doesn't matter for the $100 nor devAlpha (have one already). But serioulsly need to finish this by the 21st ... hope this will get fixed.
    In the meantime, polishing UI and additional features ... #neverStayStucked
    01-20-13 09:12 AM

Afaik, neither of those things were actually stated by RIM. That sketchy twitter account said something about 19/20 and Frank Boulben said blackberry 10 would support 90% of the top 600 apps.
    01-20-13 09:19 AM
    I hope that RIM has an army of reviewers ensuring that the real quality and unique apps are high profile in the store.... And that there are enough of them that critics get bored looking before turd overwhelm sets in.
    01-20-13 09:35 AM
    I wonder if it's possible, sometime a year from now or so, I would love to know how many apps in BlackBerry World's top 100/250 actually came from one of these Port/Hack-A-Thons, even locally because I know they have encouraged some local apps that might not have any use for me where I live, say in Toronto the "Where's my Tim App" came from an "a-thon" I would like to know about it. Because of my experience with PlayBook I have a bit of doubt that there are many apps submitted during these that I would use, and as such seeing such large numbers coming out of them I sit with some trepidation, especially when I read anecdotal evidence here in the forums that the same launcher apps I despise for PlayBook seem to have made it to BB10 .

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying here I WANT to be proven wrong. I want to find out that 2-3-10 apps I cannot live without came from one of these endeavors. It would rehabilitate my opinion and I would be much more enthusiastic when I see these numbers, rather than thinking back to PlayBook and how I kept waiting and waiting on the quality apps that to this day have not come.

Perhaps there could be a thread in the BB10 apps section "This app in the top 250 came from an A-Thon - I know I made it".
    01-20-13 09:42 AM
    PLP here Are SO annoying Sometimes Always Claiming For The Same Damn Things Ohhh Dont Have Skype OH wheres Netflix App , Seriously stop of claimin And Buy An Android Device and Be Happy With A lot Of Apps With An Laggy OS ,Im sick of this Kind Of stuff Always That Wait Guys RIM already Said That The Most Of The Top App Will Be There In The Launch .....
    01-20-13 10:26 AM
    The term that comes to mind when thinking about these port a thons is "quantity not quality". I hope I'm wrong, but doubt I am.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-20-13 10:48 AM
    Should we be seeing another stock bump come Monday?
    01-20-13 11:26 AM
    The term that comes to mind when thinking about these port a thons is "quantity not quality". I hope I'm wrong, but doubt I am.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    In a sense, they are. BB10 needs high app numbers to look competitive, and that's their main goal. However, the more apps you have, the more likely a select few very good ones have made their way in, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus, we'll have the Built for BlackBerry program to set apart the truly high-quality apps.
    01-20-13 11:41 AM
    In a sense, they are. BB10 needs high app numbers to look competitive, and that's their main goal. However, the more apps you have, the more likely a select few very good ones have made their way in, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. Plus, we'll have the Built for BlackBerry program to set apart the truly high-quality apps.
    very true. these port-o-thorn guys have been rewarded with their $100 already. a VAST VAST majority will never be downloaded. their sun has risen and set with the $100.

for apps we will truly use, look toward those with the BB stamps of approval vying fro the $10K challenge and those apps that are already popular on the other platforms.
    01-20-13 11:45 AM
    very true. these port-o-thorn guys have been rewarded with their $100 already. a VAST VAST majority will never be downloaded. their sun has risen and set with the $100.

for apps we will truly use, look toward those with the BB stamps of approval vying fro the $10K challenge and those apps that are already popular on the other platforms.
    What I also noticed from reading on twitter - many devs would be saving up their application submissions for the Port-a-Thons - so that they could quality for the $100 / Dev Alpha entries and all the other goodness associated with it.

So many of these devs could be bringing apps they have been working for some time on, and brought the quality with them.

I remember hearing while in the room an update about the BlackBerry App Generator - it had submitted over 3500+ applications after the 24 hour point. So I think there would be a good amount of quality apps that came through with it all
    01-20-13 11:53 AM
    The numbers are good to see but when you see the app generator and what it is kinda makes you wonder about the content.
    sectionsix likes this.
    01-20-13 11:56 AM
    I remember hearing while in the room an update about the BlackBerry App Generator - it had submitted over 3500+ applications after the 24 hour point. So I think there would be a good amount of quality apps that came through with it all
    Well from what I've seen on the new arrivals list on my Dev Alpha across all of the port-a-thons is pretty low quality apps all around.Now theres always the chance devs are not posting the app for sale so some higher quality ones don't show, but daily I see crappy app after crappy app in the latest arrivals without a single app that I would actually download and try out because they provide no useful function in any way.

RIM right now cares about app count, they want a big number to announce when Thor takes the stage on January 30th. Apps that should never be approved are being allowed in and many many apps that clearly break RIMs rules are being approved as well.

Here's a just one example of junk apps that are filling up App World, this was on the new arrivals yesterday:

And here's what the app does:

Ya thats it. There's no reason for the app to be allowed in App World, but it is.

And here's a quick example of an app that clearly violates RIMS rules, but was allowed in (there are literally tons of apps like this, I'm not just picking on this one):

Here's one more picture to illustrate the crap that is flooding App World, the list is much longer than what is shown in the screen shot:
    Rickroller and sectionsix like this.
    01-20-13 12:10 PM
    Any chance RIM will go back and weed any of this out later?
    01-20-13 12:15 PM
    Any chance RIM will go back and weed any of this out later?
    I doubt it. But I'm sure there will be a few apps removed here and there once the copyright holders complain.
    01-20-13 12:19 PM
    Those are exactly the kind of apps I figured would be getting approved. It is virtually impossible to have a small group of devs (I read something like 250) creating and porting 20,000apps in a 24 hour time period. If good apps were that easy to make, then I'm sure iOS and Android would have millions upon millions of them. The sad thing is, people on this board hear about the app counts and cheer, as if it is going to do RIM any good to have this type of crap on release date.
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-20-13 12:25 PM
    It does, RIM hired the contractor to review all apps. Guys, remember we do not care about numbers but media, apple fans, rim haters will keep singing this tune that bb does not have apps so this num is for them..
    01-20-13 12:29 PM
    It does, RIM hired the contractor to review all apps. Guys, remember we do not care about numbers but media, apple fans, rim haters will keep singing this tune that bb does not have apps so this num is for them..
    Once articles surface about how many of RIM's app totals are due to junk apps like the ones listed, it's only going to fuel negative articles about the App World. That is, however, unless RIM has secured many of the top apps much like some are saying. If that is the case, then people probably won't care, as each app store has their fair share of crap too.
    01-20-13 12:45 PM
    aww we could'nt escape the trash.I guess people at RIM are gonna have to filter the crap at some point thats gonna be some long *** auditing process.Don't see why many are getting mad the **** apps will filter down to the bottom,bottom,bottom you wont really see them so.. got to take the bad with the good.

If you guys really mad just contact mr saunders and co with tweets or whatever and find out what Rim will do about the rubbish.
    01-20-13 02:08 PM
    Under a third of so-called "junk apps" (an, in my opinion, some are not) in the whole count is still far beyond the 2 others apps stores ...
    Remember that quality apps studios won't even look at events like port-a-thon excepted to bring expertise and help (I believe somehow sponsored by RIM).

So ... even if I believed the filter would be tighten more, that's no big deal IMHO.
    01-20-13 02:20 PM
    I'll be reserving judgement until I see the final product. To be honest, I've never had a problem with the app 'basement' in the other 2 major (haven't used the WP app store) app stores. The better apps do a pretty good job of bubbling to the top. The only time I ever come across a crap app is when I'm looking for something very niche.

I submitted 19 apps in this port-a-thon. None of which I consider crap. If I ever get a BB10, I will have every one of my apps on there simply because they all do something I find useful. Some are simple, and some people may consider that 'crap'. Others are very complicated, but may offer content that some users consider 'crap'.

Now while I agree that some apps are going to be universally crap to everyone (those kijiji ones come to mind), I think the 'crappiness' is generally in the eye of the beholder.
    Superfly_FR and neteng1000 like this.
    01-20-13 02:46 PM
    The app count in favor of iOS or Android is constantly cited as being a major reason for RIM fail. It's all about the 'ecosystem'. We've heard this story ad nauseum for the last two years.

It doesn't matter to consumers that over 400,000 iOS apps are 'zombie' apps, those which have never been downloaded even once.

RIM's app push isn't for the benefit of most Crackberry users but rather the very people who have an adolescent need to be secure in their choice of phone and can say "My phone has more apps than your phone."
    01-20-13 02:58 PM
    The app count in favor of iOS or Android is constantly cited as being a major reason for RIM fail. It's all about the 'ecosystem'. We've heard this story ad nauseum for the last two years.

It doesn't matter to consumers that over 400,000 iOS apps are 'zombie' apps, those which have never been downloaded even once.

RIM's app push isn't for the benefit of most Crackberry users but rather the very people who have an adolescent need to be secure in their choice of phone and can say "My phone has more apps than your phone."
    If RIM believes this (and I pray that they don't) is the reason for their failure to date, then it will continue in BB10.

Their problem, as I have stated in other threads is the answer to the question "does that phone (fill in the blank with something important you want your smart phone to do). While that is in most cases an app - it is a very specific app, the examples sited ad infinitum I won't continue to beat the dead horse. If you listen to many who had moved away from BB over time it was the staccato of apps/tasks the BB OS would not give to them, in most cases 1 or 2, maybe 5 things they found very important. If those things are not on BB10 - they simply won't be back in spite of 125,000 apps of varying degrees of quality.

Do you really think it will matter if BB10 launches with 125,000 apps and 50 of the top 100 including say 15 of the top 20 weren't there? That's an honest question not sarcasm - and quite within the 'we will have 90% of the top 600...". I promise you that if that is the case I will not be on board a BB10 device until that is changed, I learned my lesson the hard way with PlayBook and won't travel down that road again and I bet there are at least a few fellow CrackBerrians who would say the same, never mind the general public
    01-20-13 03:53 PM
111 ... 2345