I believe that the lack of marketing in the USA is deliberate. My bet is that Blackberry realizes that they have a huge hill to climb and that they need to spend their precious dollars wisely. There is no use in spending money on the US if they do not have an impactful message and convincing differentiator.
    I agree, but it's not about the message: it's about device availability and updated OS with fewer bugs and enhanced features.

If BlackBerry markets hard to the US market NOW, they can market a phone with Skype available, with the personal cloud feature, with better battery life etc. etc.

What they need to do before they start marketing to the general public hard is have some ONE ON ONE sessions, with a REP in EVERY CARRIER STORE talking DIRECTLY to staff, demoing the phones... and also matching the incentives offered by Samsung so that self-interested store staff won't be pushing boring Android devices because they personally pocket $10 from the sale.

So, the plan (in my opinion) should be:

1) even out the knowledge and incentives for carrier and major electronics store staff and;
    2) ADVERTISE more. Then, when curious consumers walk into a carrier store they won't be immediately talked out of it.

BB10 is excellent, that's undeniable (well, undeniable to those who compare the tech objectively and leave their "I HATE JIM BALSILIE!" baggage at the door) so all the anti BB sentiment is, in a word, disingenuous for the large part.
    07-06-13 06:42 PM
    - "They missed their numbers" - which is all over the news and papers.
    May be some truth in this: Who wants to sign up for a two year contract on a phone, when you're unsure if that phone's company will still be in business once your contract is up?

Not sure how cell phone contracts work in other countries, but in the US folks generally sign up for two year contracts on a particular device.
    07-06-13 08:16 PM
    There's no lack of BB marketing in the US. It's everywhere. I see it every day in substantial quantities.

It's not the amount of marketing that's lacking. It's the quality of marketing. None of the marketing in the US gives any clue as to why a consumer would reasonably choose BB over iOS or Android. And the price points don't help either. The general attitude of any consumer in the US is simple... "Get the most bang for the buck within the price range as I can afford". Want to sell to a US consumer? Show them what they'll get over the competition at a competitive price point.
    I see a complete lack of marketing here in the Boston area. I don't see it on any billboards, in the mall, etc. I see the commercials on TV ever now and then, but no where near enough for people here to notice. I do see Apple and Samsung though. All over the city.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:10 PM
    They are probably spending more in markets where they think the dollars are best put.

I think they want to get a good foothold on those markets, then the advertising budgets can reduce in them and more focus can be placed on the USA.

I think it is a smart strategy. I quite frankly think that if they somehow support the Android market place when 10.2 comes along that they will ramp up advertising in the USA.
    07-06-13 09:34 PM
    They should start by removing the demo mode from the devices and create a proper interactive tutorial app where people can learn to try out features of the phone.
    07-06-13 09:49 PM
    I agree, but it's not about the message: it's about device availability and updated OS with fewer bugs and enhanced features.

If BlackBerry markets hard to the US market NOW, they can market a phone with Skype available, with the personal cloud feature, with better battery life etc. etc.

What they need to do before they start marketing to the general public hard is have some ONE ON ONE sessions, with a REP in EVERY CARRIER STORE talking DIRECTLY to staff, demoing the phones... and also matching the incentives offered by Samsung so that self-interested store staff won't be pushing boring Android devices because they personally pocket $10 from the sale.

So, the plan (in my opinion) should be:

1) even out the knowledge and incentives for carrier and major electronics store staff and;
    2) ADVERTISE more. Then, when curious consumers walk into a carrier store they won't be immediately talked out of it.

BB10 is excellent, that's undeniable (well, undeniable to those who compare the tech objectively and leave their "I HATE JIM BALSILIE!" baggage at the door) so all the anti BB sentiment is, in a word, disingenuous for the large part.
    Skype is still a Beta preview and the app sucks. They won't push hard till 10.2 and better Android app support. and when they don't market in the US after 10.2 and A series we'll be saying 10.3, then 10.4..... The company appears to have written off the US.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 10:03 AM
    Will General Motors ever be Toyota. No.
    Will Chrysler ever be Hyundai (hyundai I'd the new toyota). No to that as well.
    Will BlackBerry ever market like iPhone or Samsung? Not a chance. It's not on the BlackBerry dna. If it was BlackBerry wouldn't be on the position they're in.
    BlackBerry is a company that in my ways still thinks the world owes them something for inventing the smRy phone. They still seem to think they know better than their consumers. That super bowl add was atrocious. I have seen so many better adds on this forum and on YouTube that r not BlackBerry sanctioned adds. But they'll never use them.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:00 AM
    The Then Their Now video would have been a food add to out o. Super bowl. Or the one where they talk about the company history and qnx and show the space shuttle and the shiny new z 10 at the end would have been perfect.
    But the add we saw during the super bowl. The add that could have out them back on the map wad instead, a complete waste of time and money. It showed a complete disconnect of where the company is in the minds of the consumer and where they need to get to.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:06 AM
33 12