Will the lack of push email be a deciding factor for anyone? I know gmail can do active sync for now but Google is getting rid of active sync so gmail will only be able to poll for email, which is bad for general usage and battery. Push email is something that BB users are pretty much used to and a feature that's always touted as a mark above the competition. Will email service that's considerably less than you've had for years be a factor in purchasing a bb10 device?
    02-02-13 07:24 PM
    I think it really does depend what service your e-mail is with. For me, for example, I use both hotmail and gmail. Hotmail I would think should probably still just push itself out there right away, and gmail still supports IMAP-push (to the best of what I've been reading) and should therefore still work alright.

That all said, I'm not super tied to my e-mail, if something is urgent I am usually either called or sent a text/instant message. E-mail is usually for stuff I can afford to wait a little bit before replying. But that's just me
    02-02-13 09:54 PM
    Gmail supports push email via IMAP, and contacts and calendar sync by CardDAV and CalDAV protocols. I've never owned a BB phone before but this is all supported on my PlayBook and my Z10.

Which BlackBerry OS are you referring to?
    02-03-13 04:53 AM
    bb10, specifically the z10, i'm disappointed, the imap/carddav/caldav are horrendous, i've stopped using them on our server because they cause a lot of problems and are notorious for failed syncs and pegging data usage due to timeout issues. unfortunately google is disabling activesync after the 30th for all new signups. i'm in america so i won't be able to be grandfathered into this because of the US launch delay. it seems unless google releases an app for bb10 for gmail services i won't be able to use this device exclusively or recommend anyone at our company to. i run the exchange server, formerly ran the BES server (which we ditched) so for now here's to hoping google releases an app. i won't get my hopes up too high though considering they just told windows phone users they weren't getting an app. it appears google is doing this to specifically make email less usable for bb users and windows phone users.
    02-03-13 05:07 AM
    bb10, specifically the z10, i'm disappointed, the imap/carddav/caldav are horrendous, i've stopped using them on our server because they cause a lot of problems and are notorious for failed syncs and pegging data usage due to timeout issues. unfortunately google is disabling activesync after the 30th for all new signups. i'm in america so i won't be able to be grandfathered into this because of the US launch delay. it seems unless google releases an app for bb10 for gmail services i won't be able to use this device exclusively or recommend anyone at our company to. i run the exchange server, formerly ran the BES server (which we ditched) so for now here's to hoping google releases an app. i won't get my hopes up too high though considering they just told windows phone users they weren't getting an app. it appears google is doing this to specifically make email less usable for bb users and windows phone users.

If your company supports exchange then whats the problem? All company emails will be push.
    02-03-13 05:22 AM
    If your company supports exchange then whats the problem? All company emails will be push.
    i may have to see if i can convince management to start paying for google exchange services, right now we're operating free, and BYOD system is working rather flawlessly, so i'm not sure whether they would go for paying for this or not. activesync is only continuing for push services with paid gmail accounts.
    02-03-13 05:30 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Gmail on BlackBerry 10/PlayBook OS uses push IMAP, not Microsoft Exchange.
    02-03-13 05:45 AM
    i may have to see if i can convince management to start paying for google exchange services, right now we're operating free, and BYOD system is working rather flawlessly, so i'm not sure whether they would go for paying for this or not. activesync is only continuing for push services with paid gmail accounts.
    If the non paid gmail accounts support imap idle they will still be push.
    02-03-13 06:00 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Gmail on BlackBerry 10/PlayBook OS uses push IMAP, not Microsoft Exchange.
    I think you might be right, I remember seeing the imap settings..
    02-03-13 06:01 AM
    Ok I just read you don't like using IMAP/CardDav/CalDav.

Even with the iPhone, while they do have a Gmail mail app (which supports push email) - it doesn't sync your calendar and contacts so you still have to go through CardDAV and CalDAV to sync your contacts and calendar. It's not fully integrated into the phone.

Your only option would be to get an Android phone, an OS owned by Google. Go figure.
    02-03-13 06:05 AM
    Not that she's "pushing" (sorry) Google or anything.
    02-03-13 08:23 AM
    Not that she's "pushing" (sorry) Google or anything.
    I've spoken poorly of Google throughout this topic, perhaps you should have read it
    02-03-13 08:31 AM
    So I have one question: Google won't let new signups have active sync. Does that mean new accounts or does that also mean my new Z10 when I get it on my existing account?
    02-03-13 09:31 AM
    Will the lack of push email be a deciding factor for anyone? I know gmail can do active sync for now but Google is getting rid of active sync so gmail will only be able to poll for email, which is bad for general usage and battery. Push email is something that BB users are pretty much used to and a feature that's always touted as a mark above the competition. Will email service that's considerably less than you've had for years be a factor in purchasing a bb10 device?
    BB10 supports the same standard protocols for mail sync as iPhone, Google and Windows Phone OS's. Everyone bitched about BIS before, now they are getting what every singer of the greatness of other platforms here on CrackBerry said is just as good as BIS. If it is not, and now those people from the same platforms are saying that it is substandard, then that means that those people were full of crap and BIS was superior. Doesn't matter now though because the lies of those people doomed BIS. If google is making gmail and other Google services more and more proprietary to Android/Chrome/etc. then that just means I'll have to switch my e-mail over to a provider that supports standards, not their own junk. Glad to see that the same people who said that their non-BIS device e-mail was just as good or superior to BIS are now starting threads asking what you will do now that BIS is gone and the experience is inferior! Hypocrisy knows no bounds!
    02-03-13 09:42 AM
    BB10 supports the same standard protocols for mail sync as iPhone, Google and Windows Phone OS's. Everyone bitched about BIS before, now they are getting what every singer of the greatness of other platforms here on CrackBerry said is just as good as BIS. If it is not, and now those people from the same platforms are saying that it is substandard, then that means that those people were full of crap and BIS was superior. Doesn't matter now though because the lies of those people doomed BIS. If google is making gmail and other Google services more and more proprietary to Android/Chrome/etc. then that just means I'll have to switch my e-mail over to a provider that supports standards, not their own junk. Glad to see that the same people who said that their non-BIS device e-mail was just as good or superior to BIS are now starting threads asking what you will do now that BIS is gone and the experience is inferior! Hypocrisy knows no bounds!
    This isn't true. Android and iOS will still be able to use exchange active sync for gmail. Google is dropping support for this push gmail for all others. Its not rims fault but it does hurt their users. Sure you could switch, the point though is that apple and Google are offering these cloud services and rim isn't. I think it will be a shock to the userbase
    02-03-13 10:18 AM
    This isn't true. Android and iOS will still be able to use exchange active sync for gmail. Google is dropping support for this push gmail for all others. Its not rims fault but it does hurt their users. Sure you could switch, the point though is that apple and Google are offering these cloud services and rim isn't. I think it will be a shock to the userbase

I'm not sure about android but i thought ios and bb were in the same boat regarding Gmail.
    02-03-13 02:41 PM
    I'm not sure about android but i thought ios and bb were in the same boat regarding Gmail.
    I could have sworn iPhone users were worried about losing this feature as well. There was a headline article on iMore discussing this issue.
    02-03-13 03:16 PM
    yeah, if any of that was a deal breaker why didn't the old Blackberry's sell better?
    you can't have it both ways....
    02-03-13 03:27 PM
    Not sure how the Z will run but I use just a pop3 service for my business and we have BYOD (we are small so makes sense), my PlayBook always receives emails first...minutes ahead of our PC's running office and several seconds ahead of any iphones, androids...find out on Tuesday if this continues.
    02-03-13 03:51 PM
    Gmail via BIS is absolutely awful. Anything is better than that including IMAP/CalDAV etc. You want EAS from Google? Pay them.
    02-03-13 04:49 PM
    bb10, specifically the z10, i'm disappointed, the imap/carddav/caldav are horrendous
    Ah fair enough. I admit I've not actually tried them as when Google announced that they were removing support for EAS I had a Windows Phone and panicked and switched to Outlook.com instead (which I have been very satisfied with) so I've been using that with EAS instead, and it has been working beautifully on my Z10 and PlayBook.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-03-13 04:56 PM
    I could have sworn iPhone users were worried about losing this feature as well. There was a headline article on iMore discussing this issue.
    I remember reading an article about this too....as I recall it will only work on iOS through google's gmail app & not the native email client
    02-03-13 05:08 PM
    Never had a problem with it draining my PlayBook battery and I get my emails very promptly.
    02-03-13 05:15 PM
    Nope, and im frankly sick of google and gmail. I've opened an outlook.com account and will be using my gmail as a forwarding client instead.
    02-03-13 06:35 PM