It's really incredible that less than 3 days after the Palm Pre was released, hackers managed to quickly write up some code that would disable the camera shutter sound. How long has the current crop of BlackBerry software been on the market, without any such fix? It's just too bad that there isn't as much enthusiasm about the BlackBerry as there is about other devices on the market. Some good hacks would really put the BlackBerry on top of the market.
    06-15-09 11:48 AM
    That fix exists... it's called BerryAnnoying.
    06-15-09 11:50 AM
    You have got to be kidding me with this. Thread ends at post #2
    06-15-09 11:57 AM
    Could the root cause be better security on the BB? The Pre might not be as protected.
    06-15-09 12:13 PM
    The root cause is people are not looking in the right places.
    06-15-09 12:16 PM
    Why would you want to disable the shutter sound? I think the reason there are less hacks for Blackberries, is that they have a different class of user. The Bold, has a 2mp camera, hardly a camera phone. The hacks and applications are writtern to serve the requirements of the end user. Why write something that the user base has no need for? That's a poor business plan. If you want a OS that's been heavily hacked, try S60.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 12:20 PM
    It's really incredible that less than 3 days after the Palm Pre was released, hackers managed to quickly write up some code that would disable the camera shutter sound. How long has the current crop of BlackBerry software been on the market, without any such fix? It's just too bad that there isn't as much enthusiasm about the BlackBerry as there is about other devices on the market. Some good hacks would really put the BlackBerry on top of the market.
    This lack of enthusiasm (as you put it) to hack a Blackberry is a dull
    statement anyway. Do you really think that hackers don't have the drive to
    hack these devices? Of course they do. The person who first jailbreaks a
    Blackberry will get many kudos in the world of phone hacking. That's all the
    motivation they need.

Just because other devices don't have the same security measures doesn't
    mean that there is a lack of enthusiasm.
    06-15-09 12:29 PM
    ya know great post...why dont you get a pre, and then when your info gets hacked from your phone, you can come back and whine that you wish you had kept ur safe and secure bb
    06-15-09 12:31 PM
    This lack of enthusiasm (as you put it) to hack a Blackberry is a dull
    statement anyway. Do you really think that hackers don't have the drive to
    hack these devices? Of course they do. The person who first jailbreaks a
    Blackberry will get many kudos in the world of phone hacking. That's all the
    motivation they need.

Just because other devices don't have the same security measures doesn't
    mean that there is a lack of enthusiasm.
    I prefer the BB because of the software protection, and the ability to keep jail breakers at bay. I don't want a stealth app loaded that watches when I do because someone installed a worm from a malicious website.

Hacking is fine, but the whole point of RIM is a secure business device, not something to allow people to go in and modify any way they like.

But I know other people would like it, and that's fine. I'm all for personal choice.
    06-15-09 12:40 PM
    Personally I think the "lack of blackberry hackers" goes to show how secure RIM is with their devices. Like forever29 said, the person who hacks the blackberry will get major kudos.
    06-15-09 12:45 PM
    That fix is actually only for GSM devices. And most of the posts here are missing the point completely. The example provided was one of many. Get a life, trolls.

I think you missed the point of your own post....

It's really incredible that less than 3 days after the Palm Pre was released, hackers managed to quickly write up some code that would disable the camera shutter sound
    06-15-09 12:54 PM
    ya know great post...why dont you get a pre, and then when your info gets hacked from your phone, you can come back and whine that you wish you had kept ur safe and secure bb
    Well said. I think RIM has created the most secure mobile device in the history of mobile devices. Why would you want to hack it? What is there to hack? You get all the apps you want, all the themes, there is nothing a 'berry can't do. High tech phones like the iPhone don't even have a LED indicator light to alert you of messages! A simple feature like that has been left out.
    Also you have to see the difference in users of BlackBerries and other "hackable" devices. A BlackBerry user wants to send/read emails, send texts, browse the internet, listen to the occasional song, and for consumer oriented users (such as me) we're highly into the social scene. So why hack an already perfect device? We just want to use our phones. We don't want to constantly hack our amazing phones because we don't find the need to.

At least, that's what I think.
    06-15-09 01:00 PM
    LOL. Apparently someone didn't like my reply; it's been deleted. Go me!
    06-15-09 02:34 PM
    this thread is bad news to start with probably oughta shut er down
    06-15-09 02:51 PM
    you can reverse engineer/decompile the apps cod files
    06-15-09 02:56 PM
    Well said. I think RIM has created the most secure mobile device in the history of mobile devices. Why would you want to hack it? What is there to hack? You get all the apps you want, all the themes, there is nothing a 'berry can't do. High tech phones like the iPhone don't even have a LED indicator light to alert you of messages! A simple feature like that has been left out.
    Also you have to see the difference in users of BlackBerries and other "hackable" devices. A BlackBerry user wants to send/read emails, send texts, browse the internet, listen to the occasional song, and for consumer oriented users (such as me) we're highly into the social scene. So why hack an already perfect device? We just want to use our phones. We don't want to constantly hack our amazing phones because we don't find the need to.

I couldn't agree more with that statement!!
    06-15-09 03:17 PM
    this thread is bad news to start with probably oughta shut er down
    I agree...basically all devices were not created equally
    06-15-09 04:00 PM
    I agree...basically all devices were not created equally
    Right, one was created superior.
    06-15-09 04:06 PM

I totally agree with this statement as well....
    If you wanted a hackable phone, you should go to a different brand.
    Maybe Blackberry just isn't for you.....
    06-15-09 04:21 PM
    This is going nowhere.
    06-15-09 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD