So if you're so above the fanboy fray, no need to admonish others about it either, then.

Otherwise you look a little hypocritical, especially when you start rationalizing about BlackBerry's problems.
    are you a nihilist, perchance? lol I could take that position, but it really makes life boring. It's more fun to try and argue for and against something, even if it's an arbitrary choice.

anyhow I don't think I've ventured into the realm of admonishment. I've merely thus far expressed my opinion and my hesitation to cheer for a company that is undeserving of it.

Also, if we all followed your logic, there would be a lot less activity in the forums. Nobody would express their opinion because it might be deemed as being automatically critical of the opposing opinion. And of course it would be, how could it be anything else? Humans tend to interpret opposing viewpoints as criticism of and threatening their own views.

*and I am not above the fanboy fray. My cheer is simply more reserved for companies more deserving of it. As of yet there are none that I feel can fill that role, so I guess I'm not a fanboy at the moment.
    Last edited by BennyX; 12-11-13 at 10:04 PM.
    12-11-13 09:51 PM
    I've merely thus far expressed my opinion and my hesitation to cheer for a company that is undeserving of it.

That is simply a different form of platform advocacy. It just happens to be negative platform advocacy. I'm surprised you can't see this.

Also, if we all followed your logic, there would be a lot less activity in the forums.

If it meant that it would magically eliminate 75% of the stupid platform advocacy bickering around here, I'd be all for it. There is almost nothing constructive that results from that incessant argumentation here. (Well other than perhaps advertising impressions for Crackberry, which is probably why they are as tolerant of it as they are.)

Nobody would express their opinion because it might be deemed as being automatically critical of the opposing opinion.

That's absurd.

You were being critical of the whole concept of platform advocacy, by doing platform advocacy yourself.
    12-11-13 10:05 PM
    That is simply a different form of platform advocacy. It just happens to be negative platform advocacy. I'm surprised you can't see this.

If it meant that it would magically eliminate 75% of the stupid platform advocacy bickering around here, I'd be all for it. There is almost nothing constructive that results from that incessant argumentation here. (Well other than perhaps advertising impressions for Crackberry, which is probably why they are as tolerant of it as they are.)

That's absurd.

You were being critical of the whole concept of platform advocacy, by doing platform advocacy yourself.

So you are a nihilist then? What platform have I been an advocate for? I simply don't agree with Blackberry's direction. I enjoy the Android platform more because it is hassle-free, but I'm no advocate for that platform. I use both BB10 and Android platforms equally.
    12-11-13 10:06 PM
    So you are a nihilist then?
    Until you stop beating your wife, I will never be a nihilist.
    12-11-13 10:09 PM
    Until you stop beating your wife, I will never be a nihilist.
    Why on earth would I ever willingly agree to marry someone? That's just a setup for disaster that I am quite capable of avoiding.
    12-11-13 10:10 PM
    Why on earth would I ever willingly agree to marry someone? That's just a setup for disaster that I am quite capable of avoiding.

Nihilist.
    12-11-13 10:12 PM
    Nihilist.
    well, you're probably not too far off, lol.

anyhow, i gotta sleep. pleasure talking to you.. take care.
    12-11-13 10:16 PM
    Instead of "car phone" they should have said "bag phone" or "Moto MicroTac" or "Moto StarTac." Any one of those would have been funnier, especially StarTac.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-14-13 09:29 AM
    I suppose all the hand wringing about whether blackberry is "cool" or not is because they compete in the consumer space. As long as they do, we have to deal with articles like this. Those of us who care about functionality and security know BB10 is a very good mobile OS. I think the more people start thinking about mobile security, the more they will turn to BB10. Let's hope the company capitalizes on that opportunity and the NSA keeps doing stupid stuff to raise everyone's awareness.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-14-13 01:12 PM
    Is any smartphone "cool" anymore? Aren't they just a normal expected thing that one has at this point? Isn't pretty much everyone in the US between the ages of 25 and 18 on at least their second smartphone? Do they think their phone is a cool status symbol? I guess when it is new people want to try it out. But I can't imagine anyone expecting to impress folks by whipping out any iPhone or any other smartphone at this point. They are just too common.

That said, my Q10 is cool because it is sadly uncommon.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 02:05 PM
    Is any smartphone "cool" anymore? Aren't they just a normal expected thing that one has at this point? Isn't pretty much everyone in the US between the ages of 25 and 18 on at least their second smartphone? Do they think their phone is a cool status symbol? I guess when it is new people want to try it out. But I can't imagine anyone expecting to impress folks by whipping out any iPhone or any other smartphone at this point. They are just too common.

That said, my Q10 is cool because it is sadly uncommon.

Actually I think BlackBerry got a significant number of initial BB10 users from a group that had become either bored or disenchanted with the iPhone or Android.

Unfortunately due to various screwups, missed product targets and bugs, they probably also lost a lot of those people again. Was like watching something that started-out looking like a promising comeback story, turn into a slow-motion trainwreck.
    12-15-13 01:10 AM
    Actually I think BlackBerry got a significant number of initial BB10 users from a group that had become either bored or disenchanted with the iPhone or Android.

Unfortunately due to various screwups, missed product targets and bugs, they probably also lost a lot of those people again. Was like watching something that started-out looking like a promising comeback story, turn into a slow-motion trainwreck.
    No, Blackberrys problem is they didn't get a significant number of anything while losing everything.
    12-15-13 05:24 AM
    Anything other than wild as*** speculation lead you to that? And what is significant?
    12-15-13 08:52 AM
    Anything other than wild as*** speculation lead you to that? And what is significant?

There were tons of people here that were new Z10 owners and who had come from using iOS and Android previously. BlackBerry's own surveys confirmed this.

That was earlier this year. I think over the last 5-6 months a lot of those people seem to have gotten alienated and changed to something else, given the nature of the dialogue I see here.

First big problem was the random restart thing.
    Next problem was lack of apps - which started to improve after they'd already lost a significant number of customers.
    Then there are OS issues, text editing issues, email glitches with SMTP, Gmail, EAS.
    Then there was the 10.1 MR upgrade debacle with lost SMS messages / frozen devices with no solution or even communication from BlackBerry to users about it.

If a customer experienced more than one of those things it would take a lot to keep them as a customer.
    12-15-13 04:22 PM
    There were tons of people here that were new Z10 owners and who had come from using iOS and Android previously. BlackBerry's own surveys confirmed this.
    Seriously Omni, you are way too smart to think that anyone is going to buy this. A ton is 2,000 lbs. You are reaching. Nothing you describe is a true metric.
    bekkay likes this.
    12-15-13 04:31 PM
    The problem with BlackBerry of course, is that there are a lot more users going the other way.... former BlackBerry users going to iOS and Android. I doubt you could argue against that, since BlackBerry is losing both market share and user base with each passing quarter.
    12-15-13 04:41 PM
    Seriously Omni, you are way too smart to think that anyone is going to buy this. A ton is 2,000 lbs. You are reaching. Nothing you describe is a true metric.

Unless you have a "truer metric", your opinion on that is worth no more than mine. In fact less, because BlackBerry DID have surveys done on this, as I pointed-out.

Please at least attempt every once in a while to not let your ideology override your ability to reason.
    12-15-13 06:49 PM
    The problem with BlackBerry of course, is that there are a lot more users going the other way.... former BlackBerry users going to iOS and Android. I doubt you could argue against that, since BlackBerry is losing both market share and user base with each passing quarter.

BlackBerry has unquestionably lost "tons" of users over the past few years.

Please excuse the use of such an "invalid metric".
    12-15-13 06:52 PM
    BlackBerry should slide through Crackberry Forums to get get their new campaign off the ground. We really understand the investment we've made. BlackBerry gets **** done!

Posted with my BBZ10 Superphone via CB10 app
    12-15-13 07:13 PM
    Unless you have a "truer metric", your opinion on that is worth no more than mine. In fact less, because BlackBerry DID have surveys done on this, as I pointed-out.

Please at least attempt every once in a while to not let your ideology override your ability to reason.
    You think significant and tons are metrics? Sorry, maybe I gave you too much credit.

BlackBerry has unquestionably lost "tons" of users over the past few years.

Please excuse the use of such an "invalid metric".
    Using "tons" is a losing proposition. It means absolutely nothing.
    12-15-13 10:28 PM
    You think significant and tons are metrics? Sorry, maybe I gave you too much credit.

Using "tons" is a losing proposition. It means absolutely nothing.
    It means more than your response does.
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-15-13 10:38 PM
    It means more than your response does.
    Really? I think neither "significant" nor "tons" say much. But thanks for jumping in.

However, Omni is the one who consistently tells people they can't make up their own "facts", but then uses terms like "significant" and "tons" to base his argument upon.
    12-16-13 11:42 AM
    Really? I think neither "significant" nor "tons" say much. But thanks for jumping in.

However, Omni is the one who consistently tells people they can't make up their own "facts", but then uses terms like "significant" and "tons" to base his argument upon.

You're nitpicking and running around in circles.

I never asserted some "specific percentage" - that was never my argument.

It was YOU who seems to think that I cannot be allowed to suggest that something has a certain noticeable degree of popularity without stating some sort of precise figure.

Don't be silly.
    12-16-13 06:45 PM
    LA TIMES Rips BlackBerry!!!-mockuptons.png

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-16-13 06:47 PM
149 ... 456