12-19-12 09:51 AM
33 12
tools
    I'd just like a ballpark release date: we have the L & N's in early 2013, but not even a rumoured release for the portrait slider. I'm thinking that you can use your old keyboard OS7 device as a "remote" keyboard and trackpad for your BB10 device, but I'd prefer a slider with a trackpad. I know RIM's moving to a "no trackpad" world, but the trackpad is what allows for one hand operation... if you try to use a full touchscreen device with one hand all the time, you're going to be dropping your device a lot more, fumbling with it to reach the top corners of the screen.... so bring on the portrait slider with trackpad as a "compromise" for those who want the full screen experience and the good ol' 1-handed BlackBerry operation.
    09-24-12 09:21 AM
    Why do you think you have the right to suggest someone else's post is "stupid"?
    I wasn't categorizing anyone's posting as 'stupid'. The post to which I originally replied was asking "why aren't there more models of BlackBerry smartphone instead of only A-Series, M-Series, N-Series, R-Series?" If someone lacks a sense of humour or cannot comprehend sarcasm that is not my concern. Do you have a vested interest in Research In Motion and/or the BlackBerry brand aside from perhaps being a user of the devices? No need to answer the question because it is none of my business.

Can we agree to disagree and call a truce?
    09-24-12 09:40 AM
    Can we agree to disagree and call a truce?
    Yes please! Good call.

Common guys, keep it in perspective. We're speculating on form factors for for smartphones, not having a political debate.
    09-24-12 11:03 AM
    I would love a BB10 Slider. I have the Torch 9800 and it is awesome. To slide out I just put my thumb on the screen and push...so easy!
    12-19-12 09:06 AM
    Just mentioned in different thread this weekend how I took couple months to upgrade since I couldn't decide between 9900 or 9810 to replace my 9800.

It's too bad N series will be as high as 9900 instead of having a higher screen.
    (i.e. instead of 720x720, maybe N series standard could have been 720x1024 for example.)
    That form factor with rectangular portrait screen, plus add ability to go landscape (sideways) with virtual keyboard, and you'd have a real winner. That would be my full-qwerty dream phone, I guess!
    Ergonomically speaking your idea is horrible, you would make the device top-heavy all the time and it would be awkward to use in landscape mode due to the physical keyboard sticking out the side.
    12-19-12 09:40 AM
    I'd just like a ballpark release date: we have the L & N's in early 2013, but not even a rumoured release for the portrait slider. I'm thinking that you can use your old keyboard OS7 device as a "remote" keyboard and trackpad for your BB10 device, but I'd prefer a slider with a trackpad. I know RIM's moving to a "no trackpad" world, but the trackpad is what allows for one hand operation... if you try to use a full touchscreen device with one hand all the time, you're going to be dropping your device a lot more, fumbling with it to reach the top corners of the screen.... so bring on the portrait slider with trackpad as a "compromise" for those who want the full screen experience and the good ol' 1-handed BlackBerry operation.
    In case you haven't been paying attention to all the videos, the l-series is designed very much with being used one-handed without a trackpad.

As far as a slider, the odds are that it is 18 months away if they ever even make one, it is a niche market that would take sales from either the l-series or the n-series rather than generating significant audience and sales in its own right.

The reality is that the bb10 vkb is so good that rim are expecting plenty of qwerty users to make the switch and for those who stick with qwerty they are bringing out a bb10 version of a bb7 device that is actually popular in the 9900 so they have little incentive to experiment with other form factors unless bb10 does so well that even more niche form factors become money makers for them.
    12-19-12 09:44 AM
    There are only going to be 2 phone styles. Full screen touch and QWERTY phones with 720X720 touch screens.
    There will be 3 different price points for each style.
    Not sure what the difference will be between the price points. Maybe storage. Hopefully not CPU speed.
    CPU is one of the obvious ways for them to cut costs for a lower-priced model, qualcomm sell some cheaper quadcores for just such a purpose, beyond that you have reducing the amount of memory and storage space, cutting things like the hdmi port and the type of display used.
    12-19-12 09:48 AM
    I've posted this before, but this is what I'm hoping for.
    Keep hoping then as that design is horrible from the standpoint of being technically feasible and if you are ignoring any sense of realism in a design I don't see why that guy doesn't add a jetpack to his next design since it is as technically possible as that drawing.
    12-19-12 09:51 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD