I'm seriously considering a BB to replace my hardy Nokia.
    Situation: Frequent travel (pleasure) - would rather not carry a laptop for emails, so I want to have internet access.
    Likely foreign travel - leaving soon on trip to Eastern Europe.
    Would like to have GPS navigation to eliminate another device.
    Use at home will be mostly voice.
    Use ATT/Cingular with OK service, don't plan to change.

Can I get all this in a BlackBerry through ATT? They're running a "special" on the Curve and the Pearl. Guy at an ATT kiosk says the Curve has GPS - can it be set up for navigation? Any good in Eastern Europe?

Should I consider getting a different unit not on sale at ATT? How about buying one in Europe? Could I bring it home and use it to replace my Nokia?

I've looked at some Forum discussions dealing with BB GPS and various carriers. Sounds like full GPS navigation capability isn't available here yet, and even the European models don't offer Eastern Europe.

Maybe best to get a Pearl and separate nav system? Any help much appreciated. Hurry! I'm leaving soon!
    08-26-07 11:33 PM
    The only BB that AT&T currently has with built-in GPS is the 8800. The AT&T Curve does not have GPS. They are rumored to be getting the 8310 with GPS soon, but no one knows when that will be.
    08-26-07 11:50 PM
    Will ask the ATT kiosk guy tomorrow - maybe he was showing me an 8800. Think my best route is a Pearl, which I can pick right up, and a GPS device bought in Europe for Europe. Don't think BlackBerry and Eastern Europe mix right now.
    Thanks, dovogt
    08-27-07 12:45 AM
    8800 Has GPS or you can hold out for the 8310 and the GPS is sweet in Eastern Europe. Beware roaming fees!
    08-28-07 05:05 AM
    Choice between Pearl and the 8800...

I "had" the pearl... Was a nice BB until it started to have software issues, which AT&T could not reslove. The issues were it would not retain ANY caller logs, and when you missed a call, and clicked to view, it would say no calls! Also had issues with it only keeping 10 emails at a time. As a new one was rec'vd it would remove one. The BB expert at the AT&T store could not figure out why this was happening, and I was told this has been reported before.

With that said, I upgraded to the 8800. Much better device in my opinion. Full keyboard is a plus! The GPS works flawlessly for me. I am very happy with my 8800.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the 8310, as I have not used that one yet. I do not believe the Curve is GPS, so if GPS nav was a requirement, that may not get you what you need.

In my humble opinion, I would consider the 8800 based on what you are looking for.
    08-28-07 08:03 PM
    Thanks for the responses. My solution for the time being is status quo - keep the Nokia for phone and hit Internet cafes for email. Found the cost of international Internet service pretty heavy compared to sitting down at a cafe and (quickly) going thru emails and responding where necessary. GPS Nav in Eastern Europe is patchy - I'm going to check it out when I get there next week.
    08-29-07 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD