So I started following CrackBerry during the BB10 launch while using my Android. Was so excited that BlackBerry would be back in the game and expected them to shoot up to third easily with the Z10 and Q10.

My first BlackBerry was the original Storm which I switched to Verizon for after being with Sprint for years. Ironically, after being with Verizon for years I just switched to AT&T for the Passport.

For some reason I really want to find a BlackBerry Storm compatible with AT&T to use, but have no idea what model is GSM or what type of SIM card it has. As of now I have no backup device since I have always been on CDMA.

The Storm seems to get bashed here, but with the click touch and everything else it was my favorite phone. That was the only phone I kept for years prior to moving on to an Android phone. Never had any problems with it and never used CrackBerry so have no idea why all the hate. I think it was the best phone out for its time and thought it was a huge mistake to not continue the series after the Storm 2; this left BlackBerry with nothing good on the all touch end helping iPhone dominate.

Maybe this is all just nostalgia as I do not even know if I would be able to find the original Storm for GSM to use as a backup. Anyway, I went from my Verizon Z10 to the Verizon Z30 and now a Passport and need a backup GSM device.

Was thinking about just getting another Z10 with coupon from shopblackberry as a backup, but I have a question. I did have a ton of apps on my Z10 and lost some upgrading to the Z30 and lost most to the Passport. They were both free and many paid. If I bought a Z10 would my apps be available and linked to my BBID?

For some reason still want a Storm, would be a cool throwback phone for a backup! What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 08:44 PM
    I want a style but my network won't work with it hahaha

Posted from my Canadian Passport
    10-18-14 08:57 PM
    I still want the Storm, but seems like it will not be that easy to get a relatively new one compatible with AT&T, etc. Seems like a backup Z10 might be in the cards. In that case, can anybody answer the question below. (I did receive some paid apps free during promotions from EA, Disney, etc.)...

Was thinking about just getting another Z10 with coupon from shopblackberry as a backup, but I have a question. I did have a ton of apps on my Z10 and lost some upgrading to the Z30 and lost most to the Passport. They were both free and many paid. If I bought a Z10 would my apps be available and linked to my BBID?
    10-18-14 09:28 PM
    You sir are a rare breed indeed.

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10.
    10-18-14 10:06 PM
    I still want the Storm, but seems like it will not be that easy to get a relatively new one compatible with AT&T, etc. Seems like a backup Z10 might be in the cards. In that case, can anybody answer the question below. (I did receive some paid apps free during promotions from EA, Disney, etc.)...

Yes

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:30 PM
    I had a storm, it was garbage. Then I got a storm 2 and it was amazing. If the original storm had been as good as the storm 2 history may have been very different.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:34 PM
    Did GSM Storms exist? I thought it was a Verizon exclusive. Although, my Verizon storm was able to get GSM service while traveling,.. it was a so called "world phone"... lol

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:34 PM
    I had a storm, it was garbage. Then I got a storm 2 and it was amazing. If the original storm had been as good as the storm 2 history may have been very different.

Posted via CB10
    Man, I never upgraded to a storm 2. Wish I had, just wasn't into frequent upgrades at that point.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:35 PM
    I wouldn't mind the a suretype virtual keyboard either
    10-18-14 10:38 PM
    Man, I never upgraded to a storm 2. Wish I had, just wasn't into frequent upgrades at that point.

Posted via CB10
    Several of my buddies and I all got storms the day they came out. Every one of them ditched the phone within a month. I stuck with it, and after a few os updates it was better but still garbage. I got the storm 2 and it was soooo much better, but I could not convince any of my friends to even hold it. The damage was done and it ruined the company.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:39 PM
    I'd love a storm II screen on my z10
    10-18-14 10:40 PM
    Several of my buddies and I all got storms the day they came out. Every one of them ditched the phone within a month. I stuck with it, and after a few os updates it was better but still garbage. I got the storm 2 and it was soooo much better, but I could not convince any of my friends to even hold it. The damage was done and it ruined the company.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I lined up for it too on launch day. Wanted an iPhone like touch interface on Verizon so badly... lol

Now I finally left Verizon for AT&T, just so I could use this non iPhone-like Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:42 PM
    I remember my first all touch phone, it was an HTC Diamond I think. It had Windows mobile on it. It was terrible in every way BlackBerry was good. Bad battery life, terrible UI, terrible signal. I traded even for a Pearl and was so much happier. I soon after traded that in for a Storm and I liked it, it was a hell of a lot better than the HTC was. I can see why it got hate, but it works as a good BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:02 PM
    Yeah, I liked mine too for almost three years,.. lol

I liked the surepress and how it allowed you to "hover" an actionable item, confirm that it was what you intended to tap on, and then click down with confidence.

Posted via CB10
    nick13b and leglace1 like this.
    10-18-14 11:06 PM
    I don't remember if the Storm ever made it to GSM... but the way to make it work is to get a Canadian BlackBerry Storm, have the "GSM" portion unlocked and put in an AT&T SIM... that may work.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:14 PM
    I guess it was a rare thing to love the Storm, but at the time I had no idea CrackBerry even existed and was just enjoying my original Storm that Verizon had the exclusive on. One of my favorite phones of all time. Loving the Passport now though. Just was looking at some cheap options for a backup GSM device.
    leglace1 likes this.
    10-19-14 12:47 AM
    Yeah, I liked mine too for almost three years,.. lol

I liked the surepress and how it allowed you to "hover" an actionable item, confirm that it was what you intended to tap on, and then click down with confidence.

Posted via CB10
    I agree so much with this thread. Maybe not the best hardware or OS. But with updates and then Storm 2 it was better. I hate constantly accidentally selecting every damn thing if I graze the screen with today's touch screens. It's exactly like you said, like having a mouse and being able to hover before selecting. Also drop downs that require a mouse to hover and then move down and select are impossible on touch screens, I still have no idea how to get those menus to work properly while browsing. I really liked that screen a lot! Not sure why all the hate. The hardware on the iPhone when it first came out was like an iPod that could make phone calls and nobody goes back and disses the first iPhone

Z10 via CB10
    10-19-14 01:16 AM
    I have nothing nice to say about the Storm so I'm just gonna keep it moving lol

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 03:48 AM
    Why would you want the worst Blackberry phone ever produced? There is nothing redeeming or worth wanting in that phone. It is probably the worst phone I have ever owned.
    10-19-14 09:52 AM
    Why would you want the worst Blackberry phone ever produced? There is nothing redeeming or worth wanting in that phone. It is probably the worst phone I have ever owned.
    I wouldn't agree that it was the worse phone, but it was a big failure.

The suretap screen was a nice innovation and the hardware was really good for that time.

The problem was the OS... BlackBerry 10 should had came out with that phone for it to be a success. That would had changed the entire game... Verizon would had still been behind BlackBerry and would had provided all the marketing support.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:00 AM
    I wouldn't agree that it was the worse phone, but it was a big failure.

The suretap screen was a nice innovation and the hardware was really good for that time.

The problem was the OS... BlackBerry 10 should had came out with that phone for it to be a success. That would had changed the entire game... Verizon would had still been behind BlackBerry and would had provided all the marketing support.

Posted via CB10
    It's only a nice innovation of it's something that makes typing better and useful. It was a pain to type on and didn't work.
    10-19-14 10:02 AM
    It's only a nice innovation of it's something that makes typing better and useful. It was a pain to type on and didn't work.
    It worked for me for three years. I liked it, and missed it when I "upgraded" to the Torch 9860.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:56 AM
    LOVED the storm series. Not sure why people hate it so much
    10-19-14 10:57 AM
    Still remember the first time I saw this ad:

So much promise,.. lol

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 11:00 AM
    LOVED the storm series. Not sure why people hate it so much
    Basically the same band wagon effect that drives non BlackBerry users to hate BlackBerry, despite the fact that it works quite well for others.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 11:01 AM
36 12