Here is my idea -

QNX is a micro kernel based OS. Which is why, it's able to run Android's Dalvik VM. Which is also why it's able to do "BlackBerry Balance". Superficially speaking (not necessarily correct from technical standpoint, but just so everyone understands what I am talking about): it's like Android environment is virtualized, BlackBerry Balance-Personal and Balance-Work profiles are virtualized. They all run separately, independently of each other in their own virtual environments.

Plus, QNX is POSIX compliant.

Combine these two, and what you get is a perfect homebrew device. You could load Nintendo simulator, you could load all kinds of simulators in their own virtual environments. You could probably even install Windows in a virtualized environment!

With BlackBerry 10, you get BlackBerry AND also you are kind of getting an Android device for free (as it can run most Android apps). Hackers/Super Coders can create even more virtual environments, run them on BB 10.

You could even load a linux environment, install xbmc or plex, and use it as a media player (it'd be a very expensive media player, but point is, it could be done).

Ok - don't flame me if I got too carried away with my thesis/idea. Just let me know (nicely) if I am wrong.
    sydsam and T-Raww like this.
    12-17-12 03:53 PM
    Genius!! I imagine you should be able to have other mobile operating systems beside just Android... Is a killer idea
    12-17-12 07:17 PM
    Interesting idea but wouldn't work very well for loading Windows or Linux. Windows/Linux work great virtualized on x86/x64 hardware but won't run the same on the phone. In order to run on the BB10 hardware all CPU instructions would have to be emulated and translated which is a lot slower than simply passing them through to the CPU. The OS would have to be build specifically for the underlying hardware.
    12-17-12 07:42 PM
    First off I think your signature is bang on.

About the posix vm, It would be pretty cool for some.
    A much larger share of the Smartphone purchasing public might see it as a discontinuous "user experience".
    12-17-12 07:52 PM
    A few too many technical problems with your idea and understandings of QNX and other technologies.
    It would be cool, but not feasible with current hardware.
    12-17-12 08:00 PM
    The micro-kernel architecture of QNX has no bearing on the ability to virtualize other processes. The linux kernel is monolithic yet supports virtualization in the kernel and in user space. Your understanding of operating systems architecture and virtualization is seriously flawed.
    notnomde likes this.
    12-17-12 08:21 PM
    I've always wondered if you could utilize Blackberry's superior security to create a secure legitimate personal voting machine. I'd easily trust my BlackBerry over the voting machines currently in use during governmental elections.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-17-12 08:22 PM
    Interesting idea but wouldn't work very well for loading Windows or Linux. Windows/Linux work great virtualized on x86/x64 hardware but won't run the same on the phone. In order to run on the BB10 hardware all CPU instructions would have to be emulated and translated which is a lot slower than simply passing them through to the CPU. The OS would have to be build specifically for the underlying hardware.
    Yes, it's going to be slower. You could emulate x86/x64 on a JVM too. (see: JPC (emulator) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    I was not suggesting that they should run Windows on BB 10 hardware. My *bigger* point was that BB 10 could attract some serious interest by home-brew community. Just like Raspberry Pi is attracting so much interest.

A few too many technical problems with your idea and understandings of QNX and other technologies.
    It would be cool, but not feasible with current hardware.
    The micro-kernel architecture of QNX has no bearing on the ability to virtualize other processes. The linux kernel is monolithic yet supports virtualization in the kernel and in user space. Your understanding of operating systems architecture and virtualization is seriously flawed.
    I differ. I do have some (technical) understanding of QNX, Linux, Windows. Yes, I am not an OS/Kernel developer but I have background in CS so these concepts are not completely alien to me. Also, yes, my understanding could be flawed but let me explain again.

RIM itself claimed that they if IOS were open source, they could support IOS apps too (just like they do Android apps). All they'd have to do is create a run-time for IOS. Because IOS is not open-source they can't do it. The microkernel architecture allows QNX to run different run-times in their own sandbox. I think we could consider it as 1/2 vmware.

My point was that micro-kernel architecture allows you to run multiple run-times more securely. RIM has already demonstrated this by running Android's Dalvik VM and also by running Work & Personal profiles on BB 10. <- All three environments running on QNX.

Again, I am not suggesting that they should run Windows or Linux in virtualized environment on BB 10. I was only suggesting that BB 10 (QNX) has this capability so it could attract some serious attention from home-brew community. We should let em know! Just like they mod/develop PS3, xBOX. Who knows what kind of mods they could come up with.
    T-Raww likes this.
    12-17-12 09:01 PM
    Yes, it's going to be slower. You could emulate x86/x64 on a JVM too. (see: JPC (emulator) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    I was not suggesting that they should run Windows on BB 10 hardware. My *bigger* point was that BB 10 could attract some serious interest by home-brew community. Just like Raspberry Pi is attracting so much interest.

I differ. I do have some (technical) understanding of QNX, Linux, Windows. Yes, I am not an OS/Kernel developer but I have background in CS so these concepts are not completely alien to me. Also, yes, my understanding could be flawed but let me explain again.

RIM itself claimed that they if IOS were open source, they could support IOS apps too (just like they do Android apps). All they'd have to do is create a run-time for IOS. Because IOS is not open-source they can't do it. The microkernel architecture allows QNX to run different run-times in their own sandbox. I think we could consider it as 1/2 vmware.

My point was that micro-kernel architecture allows you to run multiple run-times more securely. RIM has already demonstrated this by running Android's Dalvik VM and also by running Work & Personal profiles on BB 10. <- All three environments running on QNX.

Again, I am not suggesting that they should run Windows or Linux in virtualized environment on BB 10. I was only suggesting that BB 10 (QNX) has this capability so it could attract some serious attention from home-brew community. We should let em know! Just like they mod/develop PS3, xBOX. Who knows what kind of mods they could come up with.
    you are contradicting yourself.

on one hand you talk about how RIM runs the different runtimes SECURELY and then on the other you want to root/hack/mod it to run essentually ROMS.

Cant have it both ways....RIM needs the secure route otherwise they can start kissing govt business bye bye
    12-17-12 09:31 PM
    you are contradicting yourself.
    on one hand you talk about how RIM runs the different runtimes SECURELY and then on the other you want to root/hack/mod it to run essentually ROMS.
    Not really. QNX is capable of running multiple run-times securely. By securely, I mean, each run-time is in it's own sandbox. Can not interact or see other run-times. Gov/Businesses are certainly not going to buy devices or mods from home brew community.
    12-17-12 09:34 PM
    The idea will confuse most people as soon as someone tries explaining it.
    12-17-12 09:36 PM
    Well let the community. Know email them your waiting time it's time to fire up the bb10 fire and set a blaze!!
    12-17-12 10:05 PM