I've just discovered an interesting market that nobody has ever capitalised or delved in to and that is kids smartphones. It never even occurred to me as well because I think it is stupid for children to have mobiles at such a young age.

I myself did not have a phone until I was thirteen but I asked a question to the lady from the upgrade/cancellation department of vodafone why they still sold a legacy BlackBerry smartphone and no longer BlackBerry 10 and she told me parents buy it for their kids.

I questioned her and she said it is true. Parents genuinely want something cheaper and safer for their children. So it got me thinking why doesn't BlackBerry actually make a smartphone completely designed for the under 13 age group?

Think about it, it can be a customised version of the OS with all the protections of a child safe app store while all the same catering it for a younger audience. BBM could play a huge roll in recruiting children to use its service as kids will be more inclined to use BBM as they get older if their friends use it as well.

If parents want to get the kids a smartphone and want them to be safe, BlackBerry can play a huge roll in this.

Posted via CB10
    amanago likes this.
    03-15-15 05:07 PM
    At the present time, BlackBerry is focusing on Enterprise. I don't imagine there are many children under 13 in that demographic. I believe it would be wrong for BB to try and compete with Android/iOS in the general consumer marketplace.
    03-15-15 05:14 PM
    Interesting idea but most people perceive BlackBerry phones as tools not toys. It would be very hard to market especially with no google play services for all the most popular games that kids would be interested in.

Loving my Passport!
    03-15-15 05:20 PM
    I think you're missing the point a little to my idea. This is not for the general consumer market but for a specific targeted audience - probably with low end devices too because that's what parents want.

And it's true. I see so many kids under 10 with old BlackBerry devices because the parents know by giving them an iPhone or Samsung, they have access to the general app stores therefore they are at risk at being exposed to inappropriate material. But on an old BlackBerry there isn't the same capability to do that as there isn't the same sort of access.

I'm talking about developing something new though that is specifically designed for kids because if parents want their child to have a phone as a necessity to stay in touch there is not really anything out their or even a market for them.

I think BlackBerry should pioneer this.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 05:22 PM
    Interesting idea. However, I think as they aged teens would be just as inclined (if not more so) to distance themselves from the "made for kids" device/OS and move to the more popular IOS or android crowd.
    03-15-15 05:24 PM
    Interesting idea but most people perceive BlackBerry phones as tools not toys. It would be very hard to market especially with no google play services for all the most popular games that kids would be interested in.

Loving my Passport!
    I think that's the problem though. Parents don't want their children to have the appstore or Google Play. If this was a success I can see developers supporting app development because having child friendly apps can be very financially rewarding as kids are very impulsive.

And also BBM should be at the heart too. Start them young and they will grow up using BBM in to teenagers and young adults.

BlackBerry and security go hand in hand. Parents want their children to be safe online. BlackBerry can help them.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 05:26 PM
    I think you're missing the point a little to my idea. This is not for the general consumer market but for a specific targeted audience - probably with low end devices too because that's what parents want.

And it's true. I see so many kids under 10 with old BlackBerry devices because the parents know by giving them an iPhone or Samsung, they have access to the general app stores therefore they are at risk at being exposed to inappropriate material. But on an old BlackBerry there isn't the same capability to do that as there isn't the same sort of access.

I'm talking about developing something new though that is specifically designed for kids because if parents want their child to have a phone as a necessity to stay in touch there is not really anything out their or even a market for them.

I think BlackBerry should pioneer this.

Posted via CB10
    I see what you're saying but there have been phones like that going back to the feature phone era. Phones that can be set up to only receive and send calls to certain #s, that sort of thing. More of a way for parents to keep in touch with their kids vs a more fun device that kids will want. But now the smartphones can be set up that way and parents can track them either on the device level or through carrier services, and the kids can still have a device that has gaming as well as media capabilities.

I agree BlackBerry could have capitalized in this area because of their reputation for security, but the time for that was more like 10 years ago before iOS and Android took over.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 05:34 PM
    I see what you're saying but there have been phones like that going back to the feature phone era. Phones that can be set up to only receive and send calls to certain #s, that sort of thing. More of a way for parents to keep in touch with their kids vs a more fun device that kids will want. But now the smartphones can be set up that way and parents can track them either on the device level or through carrier services, and the kids can still have a device that has gaming as well as media capabilities.

I agree BlackBerry could have capitalized in this area because of their reputation for security, but the time for that was more like 10 years ago before iOS and Android took over.

Posted via CB10
    There have been people who have had made smart watches and you can say that never took of until Apple took the idea. They were making mp3 players for many years but no one is really buying than Apple came along and changed that.

Just because something hasn't worked before doesn't mean it won't work. I think this is a good concept and it could be the holy grail for BlackBerry in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 05:38 PM
    Most of the time kids get hand me downs. One of the many reasons Blackberrys were popular with some of the younger crowd because the parents would get new phones and kids would get the old phone.

Rogers did have a kids dumb phone. Like, really really dumb. It had something like 5 buttons: Call Mom, call Dad, call Emergency, and hangup. I don't think it did that well.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 05:43 PM
    I just don't see the market when you can already buy cheap android phone and lock them down if you want. How is BB going to stand out. They don't have the apps/games right now and now you want to make a phone that basically caters to that crowd?
    BB_Junky, rthonpm, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    03-15-15 05:50 PM
    BBRY/Chen have already stated multiple times ad-nauseum that they are not in the consumer market. Why on earth would they make a kid friendly device for a market they are not in?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-15-15 06:48 PM
    There is no market for kids phones though?

This is about taking an idea and reinventing it completely so you create a brand new market. I think there is a market for this. Vodafone still have the legacy Bold 9700 on sale because they say their is still demand for it to this day and I was told it's parents buying for their kids.

The same was Apple took the idea of a tablet, phone, mp3 player and watch and completely re imagine it bring out a whole new dimension to that market and creating interest.

This whole idea of having a phone that is secure for kids is basically a completely new concept. Maybe even it's own unique OS but with some parallels with BlackBerry 10 to ease and encourage a transition to the primary platform.

Basically a 'Kids OS' to BB10 or for comparison a 'Kids Android' or 'Kids iOS'

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 07:00 PM

This is about taking an idea and reinventing it completely so you create a brand new market. I think there is a market for this. Vodafone still have the legacy Bold 9700 on sale because they say their is still demand for it to this day and I was told it's parents buying for their kids.

The same was Apple took the idea of a tablet, phone, mp3 player and watch and completely re imagine it bring out a whole new dimension to that market and creating interest.

This whole idea of having a phone that is secure for kids is basically a completely new concept. Maybe even it's own unique OS but with some parallels with BlackBerry 10 to ease and encourage a transition to the primary platform.

Posted via CB10
    Except for the fact that Chen/BBRY specifically stated that the consumer market has been abandoned. Completely abandoned. Do you for a moment believe that this is going to change anytime in the near future?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    03-15-15 07:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    What your proposing could be done on the software side no new hardware would need to be created. It would make more sense for BlackBerry to release a cross platform app that could do all that.

Loving my Passport!
    03-15-15 07:07 PM
    Most of the time kids get hand me downs. One of the many reasons Blackberrys were popular with some of the younger crowd because the parents would get new phones and kids would get the old phone.

Rogers did have a kids dumb phone. Like, really really dumb. It had something like 5 buttons: Call Mom, call Dad, call Emergency, and hangup. I don't think it did that well.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not talking about dumb phones because I think there is an appetite for smartphones for Kids and this is about re-enforcing security with protection in place so those parents who are unsure about letting their child have free access to the internet will have a brand they can trust.

It's also important for a business to get customers when they are young like how a bank offer kids bank accounts. The younger you get them as a customer than they're more inclined to stay as a customer well in to adulthood. But if you're not in that market than you don't have a chance with these people in the first place.

Tell me if I am wrong if this idea doesn't match with BlackBerry's ethos.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 07:08 PM
    What your proposing could be done on the software side no new hardware would need to be created. It would make more sense for BlackBerry to release a cross platform app that could do all that.

Loving my Passport!
    Nice thought. Obviously this is the much cheaper option and one that already works already by splitting a phone up in to Personal and Work use.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 07:10 PM
    The function you speak of already exists within Blackberry 10 OS ( I believe since the initial release of the Z10)

Go to System Settings > Security and Privacy > Parental Controls

When you turn on parental controls, you are prompted for parent password different from the device password. This allows a parent to limit the functions available to the child such as turning off Blackberry World altogether or limiting Blackberry World content ratings to All ages.

You can also do things like turn off camera and Facebook. Other settings are available such as limit communications (phone calls and texts) from contacts on the phone only.

I purchased a Q5 for my 8 year old son so he could contact me or my wife in case of emergency because we were were dropping him off at school 10-15 minutes before the start of school. With most functions disabled when at school, it is less likely to be a distraction and subject to envy from other kids. When at home, I would unlock more functions on the phone for other uses.

If Blackberry would only market this functionality better, they might make some more sales
    03-15-15 07:50 PM

Loving my Passport!

This seems like a better solution, offer a cross platform app that has bbm built in and some other BES-like security options for parents to implement

BB for Life
    03-15-15 07:56 PM
    There's already kid phones out there that parents can program to only call/SMS and receive calls/SMS from specific numbers.
    03-15-15 09:32 PM
    Parental controls are dirt easy on an iPhone.
    03-15-15 11:56 PM
    But Google "23% iPhone cracked screen". My wife, and I, got a Z10 and Z30 and gave our tough little Bolds to the kids. Rugged, reliable and fit right in their jeans. Great for family communications and the "R" beside the BBM message is a safety feature that iPhone lacks. If they want to play games, Brick Breaker is perfect for them ( lol). They take pics, listen to music, use a dictionary app etc. I agree with the OP about the niche thing. I see people buying used Bolds on-line for their young kids.

TCB on Z10
    03-16-15 12:37 AM
    Its a excellent idea. Introduce them and lock them in to BB10 when they young. It will have a knock on effect. But sadly BB cant even market now.
    03-16-15 12:41 AM
    I don't think it's a bad idea but marketing is key and we all know BlackBerry is not in the marketing game.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 12:55 AM
    Parental controls are dirt easy on an iPhone.
    Yeah, it wasn't cheap, hey... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-16-15 05:32 AM
    Most parents I know just give their kids their old phones heck most upgrade every two years if not annually anyways.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    03-16-15 11:00 AM
35 12