I have never owned a phone with a physical keyboard (That wasn't T9 of course) and with the amount of email (and code) I write on my phone typing has been traumatic since my Z30 as my generic android device doesn't cut it - even after trying a mind numbing number of custom keyboard available on the Google store.

Seeing that my generic device has another year in it (as this phone is simply a cheap android phone) it is in my interest to try my hat at something a little less phone throwing inacurate, maybe a physical keyboard, maybe the next generation BlackBerry, a "KeyTwo" per say

After watching a plethora of reviews of the KeyOne observing reviewer complaints my hopes that the keytwo would be more along the lines of this MsPaint mockup i made.

What do you think?

KeyTwo - What do you think-bbkeytwo.jpg

Side Note: When in text mode- the home button must be long press to go home. Ideally it lights up only when it is a quickpress home button.
    05-31-17 10:57 AM
    Or you buy a 200$ new passport on ebay

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 01:03 PM
    inurear ..
    Don't be swayed by a few complaints. It may "appear" to you to be many, but keep in mind that people don't usually post UNLESS they have something to complain about.

You're idea is interesting in some distant future. Consider (for now) that the KeyONE was just releast here Today.
    In that distant future, mobile devices may be replaced by a digital chip implant, for all we know! And think what you will have missed.

In this present age... nothing that you could imagine could even come close to approaching a perfect mobile device that "just works."
    Find something that will work best for you and enjoy all the good things it has to offer... ( the digital chip implant is just waiting for Official approval.)
    05-31-17 01:23 PM
    I think it's ok, but instead of a bigger screen I would rather see a shorter phone when you get rid of the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    05-31-17 05:40 PM
    I'm with you on that. Though getting to a more standard aspect ratio might be beneficial for media consumption.
    TheGraduate likes this.
    05-31-17 09:26 PM
    I am looking at an iteration as I will be in the market next year - I would love the BBkeyone over my current phone any day but it's too soon to replace it as it's a 2 month old phone.... So, why not muse and consider reviewer complaints that I can agree with! Putting the Home key below the keyboard is very common and preferred because it is theoretically used more than the keyboard itself... as well, knowing that the keyboard and the home key are not used simultaneously you can save realestate by putting them in the same place - like many of the non-physical system button phones offer. I think the use case for a keyboard phone to integrate the home key into the spacebar makes plenty of sense.

Other reasonable considerations asks include dual speakers especially seeing that blackberry has a "real sound" patent, that does wonders at immitating 3d environments.

I can't see these ideas "distant" as they are not big asks - there is no new technology needed to make this, there is no reason why a keytwo can't offer any of my suggestions in the next iteration - non of those suggestions hurt the phone.

(except for screen size - less tall might be nice, better aspect ratio works too)
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    05-31-17 09:40 PM
    BBF100-1 is thought to be the next line to the KEYone and one thing that is known is the screen resolution from a leaked xml file which is 1620x1080 (the same as the KEYone). Although the screen/device dimensions aren't known it will be the same ratio of 3:2. This means there will be no "longer" screen if the capacitive navbar is removed. If removed it will likely be a onscreen navbar that auto hides and since the screen ratio is the same this means the device would either become shorter if the screen is exactly the same or if larger the device would become wider to maintain the 3:2 ratio.

I really don't see either scenario and in terms of form factor TCL probably is going to do as little changes as possible while it gains market awareness. A mistake of BB10 devices was that there was no consistency; each device seems to stand alone and upgrade paths were confusion. In retrospect this was all a part of their transition plan to software and they never were interested in making a lasting line. People like clear upgrade paths, they don't want dramatic changes or new names. TCL would be wise to make incremental form factor changes at best and call it the "KEYtwo", the "KEYone 2", "KEYone II"... etc... or whatever sequential name they figure out.
    11-16-17 07:17 AM
    I was very interested to buy the K1 and have held one in my hand a number of times. I just could not do it. The form factor was not right for me... but so close it is frustrating.

OP your concept is fantastic. You hit on all the changes I would make to K1. Thanks!
    01-28-18 08:05 AM
    I would actually prefer it if the just made the Toolbelt buttons physical so people would not accidentally hit then when typing or swiping on the keyboard
    01-29-18 09:03 AM
    I have never owned a phone with a physical keyboard (That wasn't T9 of course) and with the amount of email (and code) I write on my phone typing has been traumatic since my Z30 as my generic android device doesn't cut it - even after trying a mind numbing number of custom keyboard available on the Google store.

Seeing that my generic device has another year in it (as this phone is simply a cheap android phone) it is in my interest to try my hat at something a little less phone throwing inacurate, maybe a physical keyboard, maybe the next generation BlackBerry, a "KeyTwo" per say

After watching a plethora of reviews of the KeyOne observing reviewer complaints my hopes that the keytwo would be more along the lines of this MsPaint mockup i made.

What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbkeytwo.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	424208

Side Note: When in text mode- the home button must be long press to go home. Ideally it lights up only when it is a quickpress home button.
    Removing the capacitive navbar and extending the screen is roughly a 21:13 ratio which I'm not sure will help your overall android experience. the 9900 was a touch display with a capacitive toolbelt what was the overall impression of that devices for those who used it? I know an issue with this comparison is the 9900 didn't have a capacitive keyboard with gestures built in and the OS was less touch driven, especially with the trackpad. But capacitive keys seem to a more sophisticated demand and I think the accidental swipes are just things you learn to live with and eventually learn use the device with out the accidental navbar touches.
    01-31-18 09:29 AM
    Or you buy a 200$ new passport on ebay

Posted via CB10
    $200 for a discontinued platform? Not my cup of tea.
    01-31-18 10:12 AM
    Android supports onscreen navigation buttons, too. Ya swipe up and it'll show the home button and stuff. Lots of new slabs have that going.
    That'd keep the old PKB layout.
    RK_BB likes this.
    04-04-18 12:34 PM
    I would actually prefer it if the just made the Toolbelt buttons physical so people would not accidentally hit then when typing or swiping on the keyboard
    this

Additionally, since the software never really caught up to the phone, a tab key is totally warranted.
    04-22-18 10:27 PM