21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trackpad and keyboard go hand-in-hand

9 42.86%
  • Keyboard alone is fine

9 42.86%
  • Another one of these threads?!

5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I'm wondering if all the QWERTY holdouts were clinging onto their Bolds and Curves for just the keyboard, the trackpad or a combination of both.

Sure, the keyboard is nice to type with. But IMO it's the trackpad (or trackball) that has always been included with the keyboard that rounds out the typing experience.

Will the Q10 be a big hit with the keyboard fan or will the lack of trackpad still keep some from switching?
    05-03-13 11:01 AM
    Good poll, I'm looking forward to the results...
    05-03-13 11:07 AM
    I'm wondering if all the QWERTY holdouts were clinging onto their Bolds and Curves for just the keyboard, the trackpad or a combination of both.

Sure, the keyboard is nice to type with. But IMO it's the trackpad (or trackball) that has always been included with the keyboard that rounds out the typing experience.

Will the Q10 be a big hit with the keyboard fan or will the lack of trackpad still keep some from switching?
    I'm not one of the QWERTY hold-outs, but I do have an opinion on this. I think the Q10 kind of looks awkward with the elimination of the trackpad, or at the very least a space between the screen and keyboard. I haven't used a Q10 yet myself so I don't know if this is accurate, but I'd think it would be awkward to make the bottom swipe up with the keyboard right there. I wish there was at least a LITTLE bezel space there.

I can see the point for getting rid of the trackpad, though. They wanted to expand the screen so users could make the most out of the BB10 OS. I've noticed, though, that I only got comfortable with the lack of a track pad once I got a device with a 4in+ screen. I had a MyTouch 4G that had a track pad and 3.8in screen and I found that I used the track pad quite a bit to scroll so my fingers weren't taking up the screen, used it to flip pages in the kindle app, and of course used it to pinpoint the text cursor. My next phone was the HTC Sensation and with the 4.3in screen I found I didn't miss the trackpad at all. I guess I'm just wondering if the Q10 screen will be large enough to be as functional as the Q10 users need without a trackpad.

I guess we'll find out!
    05-03-13 11:11 AM
    I find that selecting blocks of text was much easier on my 9800 than on my Z10. Holding "Shift" and scrolling to select text was a piece of cake compared to the tap and drag on the Z10. I can never seem to figure out which tap or tap and hold action brings up the selection arrows, and using the selection arrows is fiddly at best.

For me, the trackpad wasn't just a way to scroll through emails or icons, it made text functions a whole lot easier.
    05-03-13 11:19 AM
    I find that selecting blocks of text was much easier on my 9800 than on my Z10. Holding "Shift" and scrolling to select text was a piece of cake compared to the tap and drag on the Z10. I can never seem to figure out which tap or tap and hold action brings up the selection arrows, and using the selection arrows is fiddly at best.

For me, the trackpad wasn't just a way to scroll through emails or icons, it made text functions a whole lot easier.
    I've gotten used to it in my years of using touch screens to select blocks of text. On the Android phones I was used to, the text itself would magnify a few characters on either side of where the cursor is so you could see exactly where the cursor was being placed. On the Z10, they magnified the area where you touch to drag, effectively keeping your finger away from the blue highlight which acts as a cursor, but your finger isn't so far away that you can't tell where to drag it. Whenever I'm on my 9700 I have to remind myself how to highlight text, just because I hadn't used it in so long and has lost it's intuitiveness for me. I think it's just whatever one is used to is the better way. I'm sure once people have several months using the copy/paste function on BB10 devices it'll be as second nature as copy/paste on legacy devices.
    05-03-13 11:43 AM
    I'd say its a combination of both with me. I wanted the Z but just can't give up the keybooard. I could go without the trackpad because I force myself not to use it, thinking its a matter of time before it fails like the rollerballs on my previous 8310.
    But now after reading the Z10's bug list thread here I'm hesitant to get it even more. What I'm hoping is everything will be worked out with the OS by the time the Q comes to Tmobile.
    05-03-13 09:33 PM
    I didn't vote yet. I find the trackpad to be extremely valuable maybe even more than the keyboard for certain tasks. Zooming in and panning pictures, scrolling through tweets and menus come to mind first. Then again, I tend to make the best out of things. Right now, I am saying that having all these different ways of operating my device (Portrait PK, Portrait VK, Landscape VK, Trackpad, convenience keys, hard buttons and Voice) based upon my current need is more important than a blazing fast browser. But I really enjoyed my Galaxy S and probably would one of the newer more powerful BB10 devices too.

I guess if I stopped rambling and just tried to answer your question I would say that I am a Torch slider guy "right now" and I am excited to see what manufacturers can do to get me to switch. **hint hint BlackBerry**
    05-03-13 10:58 PM
    I charged up my 9800 today to take a look at something on it.

I forgot how nice the trackpad is for navigating the phone. Moving my thumb half an inch in any direction having full control over the phone is much easier than doing thumb origami across a bigger screen.

I also like the alternate characters (symbols) on the keys above the letters. I know you have to hit "alt" on both, but because they're always in front of you you don't have to go searching for them each time you bring up the symbol keys.

I wish the Z10 keyboard would display alt characters above the letters.
    05-11-13 12:39 AM

I forgot how nice the trackpad is for navigating the phone. Moving my thumb half an inch in any direction having full control over the phone is much easier than doing thumb origami across a bigger screen.

I also like the alternate characters (symbols) on the keys above the letters. I know you have to hit "alt" on both, but because they're always in front of you you don't have to go searching for them each time you bring up the symbol keys.

I agree. Regular SwiftKey does, and to insert them all you need to do is long press on the key. However, including them on the Z10 would have taken considerably more space and perhaps the ergonomics of the flicking would have been different.
    05-11-13 09:53 AM

On the z10 if you long press the letter it turns to caps, if you keep holding it, it brings up a short menu of sorts next to the letter which includes symbols associated with it. ( I would have included a screen shot, but I'm using PB with my 9900 as a wifi hotspot while my Z10 charges in the other room)
    Also don't forget on the Z10 keyboard if you swipe down on it, it changes the keyboard, so its super easy to get to symbols.
    Long press on a word to highlight and then move the cursors where you want.

I must say, I have said it a few times already but nonetheless, before Z10 I swore emphatically that I would never get a full touch device, I despise the touch typing on android and apple phones and spend spare time having a laugh at things that posted on damnyouautocorrect. I was spoilt by 9900, completely convinced Id be qwerty, as long as its around.
    But the keyboard on the Z10 completely exceeded any expectations I had and I spent a lot of time watching demo and leak vids in the months(years) leading up to the release, but I find it to really be fantastic. I am always pleasantly suprised to look down at the keyboard and see it 'reading my mind'.
    I can very safely say after nearly 4 months with I don't miss any buttons in the least, I am happy to not have an annoying home button in the way and find myself trying to swipe my way in and out of everything....even non touch devices
    I can't comment on the Q10 because I haven't had any sort of experience with it
    05-11-13 10:57 AM
    Am I the only one who hates Auto-Correct so damn much, that he turned it off?
    It doesn't matter on what platform for me, auto-correct makes me correct my Mails/texts more than I would have to without.

Could it be because I use 3 different languages throughout the day or because I use "strange" words?

I'll just link to:
    http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/

I do not miss the TrackPad at all except for text selection.
    What surprised my a lot, was that I do not miss the physical keyboard so much.
    The Virtual Keyboard is ridiculously good on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 11:10 AM
    Could probably do without the trackpad if necessary, but have grown accustomed to it. Would really miss the BlackBerry shortcut button. I'm always using it to quickly switch between applications.
    05-11-13 11:59 AM
    Could probably do without the trackpad if necessary, but have grown accustomed to it. Would really miss the BlackBerry shortcut button. I'm always using it to quickly switch between applications.
    Once you've had a Z10 for a bit you won't miss it

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-11-13 02:09 PM
    Once you've had a Z10 for a bit you won't miss it
    Unlikely. I absolutely detest on-screen keyboards. Physical keyboards are a must for me.
    05-11-13 02:15 PM
    Unlikely. I absolutely detest on-screen keyboards. Physical keyboards are a must for me.
    I used to feel that way too

05-11-13 05:06 PM
    I am one who can get by without a trackpad but all things considered I wouild rather have it than not have it but not at the expense of screen real estate .

I think they could have easily made the Q10 both wider and longer to support both a larger screen and a trackpad . I am no fan of the Curve so I have no desire to use small BB's.
    05-11-13 05:53 PM
    If more real estate is desired get a Z10 or a playbook. That little space captured at the trackpad's expense didn't really amount to much.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-11-13 06:11 PM
    I'll buy a BB10 device when they release one with a trackpad. Until then, I'm quite comfortable with my OS6 phone.
    05-11-13 06:19 PM
    I used to feel that way too
    Bought the all-touch Torch, and it was mostly unusable for me even after months of owning it. Didn't like my wife's iPhone, and though it has cool features, don't like my wife's Galaxy Note II.

Stamping BlackBerry on an all-touch slab and adding gee-whiz auto-correction won't make me magically like their version either. There's obviously a large market out there for all-touch slabs, but it doesn't - and likely won't - include me.
    05-12-13 09:08 AM
    The use of minimized apps via active frames is a smoother and faster transition between apps that the physical method. At least I find it to be so.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 09:13 AM
    I'll buy a BB10 device when they release one with a trackpad. Until then, I'm quite comfortable with my OS6 phone.
    Guess you won't be getting a new BlackBerry any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 09:14 AM
    The use of minimized apps via active frames is a smoother and faster transition between apps that the physical method. At least I find it to be so.
    Had a chance to try a version of that on the Playbook, and even my wife's old Palm Pre. Still like the Blackberry button better.
    05-12-13 09:15 AM
    Had a chance to try a version of that on the Playbook, and even my wife's old Palm Pre. Still like the Blackberry button better.
    Ya. The pb isn't as efficient as you still need to swipe sideways to find the app you're looking for. I'd suggest going to a store and trying a Z or Q to see the difference. But to each their own as to what they prefer in the end.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 09:36 AM
    Bought the all-touch Torch, and it was mostly unusable for me even after months of owning it. Didn't like my wife's iPhone, and though it has cool features, don't like my wife's Galaxy Note II.

Stamping BlackBerry on an all-touch slab and adding gee-whiz auto-correction won't make me magically like their version either. There's obviously a large market out there for all-touch slabs, but it doesn't - and likely won't - include me.
    I hate the torch, I found to be a horrid horrid device.
    I feel the same way about the iPhone, so I'm not arguing with you on either. I can't comment on the other two because I haven't tried either.

Trying to compare a torch to the Z10 is madness, like comparing a car and a fruit, they are world's apart.
    I was adamant I would never ever use a full touch device because of the things mentioned above, but the Z10 suprised me every me.
    I'm used to not have buttons, I don't miss them and I'm enjoying having my simple gestures. All I'm saying is if you haven't tried it, then it's not what you expect at all.

Either way it's best to go with what suites you, everyone is different and likes different things

05-12-13 10:49 AM
    I'm used to not have buttons, I don't miss them and I'm enjoying having my simple gestures. All I'm saying is if you haven't tried it, then it's not what you expect at all.

Either way it's best to go with what suites you, everyone is different and likes different things
    Did get a chance to try one out at a store, and sure it's nice. Tried typing on it, and it felt as awkward as any other all-touch device I've tried before. Just don't like typing on flat surfaces (and that includes the new flat keyboard on the Microsoft tablet). I want to feel keys depressing beneath my fingers or thumb.

The nice thing is this: I don't have to adopt a slab phone in order to get smartphone features. My 9930 has a nice touch screen, and it also includes physical buttons that allow me to speed-dial without looking at the phone.
    05-12-13 12:43 PM