https://www.androidauthority.com/pol...board-1150047/

While this may not be a reliable metric to determine if a PKB can be successful in the market, it is interesting to note that the amount of slabbers who voted that they wouldn't buy one no matter what is not THAT much greater than the other options.

This tells me that a device with a PKB can be successful if it checks most boxes for consumers.

The question is, under which form factor would it have most chances of success...Keyboard poll - interesting results-screenshot_20200822-223134_firefox.jpeg
    Mirko935 likes this.
    08-22-20 09:36 PM
    That's much higher than I would have expected with about 2500 ppl responding. I think a random sample would give us a better picture since those that voted were probably keyboard users at one point. I'd like to know how the poll would look like with mostly younger people responding or ppl who have never used a pkb since that user base is probably very large but still very interesting results.
    08-22-20 09:44 PM
    The flip side is that poll was conducted on Android Central... No single android PKB I'm aware of ever held a candle to the best of BB's PKB. If my only comparison was Android PKB (including K1), I might not consider PKB at all, myself. Lol.

Too bad a question about favorite previously owned PKB wasn't included.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    08-23-20 07:44 AM
    The flip side is that poll was conducted on Android Central... No single android PKB I'm aware of ever held a candle to the best of BB's PKB. If my only comparison was Android PKB (including K1), I might not consider PKB at all, myself. Lol.

Too bad a question about favorite previously owned PKB wasn't included.
    Many people never even tried a BB PKB, let alone the "mighty 9900".

They remember their sidekick, their LG/Samsung/Sony slider or whatnot.

The point is, people may be less closed minded to a PKB than some here like to make it seem.

It's a problem that "physical keyboard" rhymes with "BlackBerry" in people's heads, because it means not enough other companies are giving it a try, therefore when you say "physical keyboard" it translates to "outdated device with a keyboard that takes up screen space and runs no apps" in many people's heads.

However those who hang around Android tech sites/forums generally know that Berry's have been running Android since 2015.

BB = PKB

but

PKB shouldnt necessarily = BB
    bb9900user2018 and Mirko935 like this.
    08-23-20 07:59 AM
    remember the Motorola milestone? aka the Motorola droid? wasn't that the first 'real' android in the states?

first android with android 2.1? didnt they sell a tonne?

that was a sexy phone....
    08-23-20 08:03 AM

The question is, under which form factor would it have most chances of success...
    Which form factor DID enjoy most success?

The thing about PKB success is that it MUST improve typing experience over other options. Otherwise, why would potential purchasers consider the purchase? My K1 experience had me transitioning to a slab... I achieved at least 5 wpm faster on a mediocre slab than my reasonably competent thumb could achieve on poorly configured K1. MY priority is TYPING. To the extent a given PKB equipped product contributes to that priority, it's what I'll buy. If it don't, I won't. Lol.

I don't believe that legitimate market success is achievable by just looking like a PKB handset. It must also "walk the walk"...

After 9 years of daily side by side comparisons with quite a few "newer" configurations in the other hand, frequently simultaneously, Bold99 is STILL the handset my hand grabs when anticipating long typing sessions. Such as my diatribe here... Lol. When I need a larger screen, various slabs fit THAT use case. Probably about 2-4 times per week, in my case? It's called dual carry. Lol.

Resistance to dual carry has always seemed silly to me. I know a few OTR and local pro drivers. Regardless the KW, PB, MAC, Volvo, etc pro grade tool they use professionally, every one of them also drives a consumer grade vehicle when off the job. Dual "carry"? Lol. A certain one time Presidential candidate might have proven better served had she adopted better dual carry policies? Lol.
    08-23-20 08:21 AM
    Resistance to dual carry has always seemed silly to me. I know a few OTR and local pro drivers. Regardless the KW, PB, MAC, Volvo, etc pro grade tool they use professionally, every one of them also drives a consumer grade vehicle when off the job. Dual "carry"? Lol. A certain one time Presidential candidate might have proven better served had she adopted better dual carry policies? Lol.
    Hardly anyone wants to carry around multiple things: a phone for typing, a phone for media/apps, a camera, a fitness tracker, etc.

In your two car example, the second car is left at home.
    08-23-20 08:56 AM
    Hardly anyone wants to carry around multiple things: a phone for typing, a phone for media/apps, a camera, a fitness tracker, etc.

In your two car example, the second car is left at home.
    True, but that's why it's so important that a secondary typing appliance be COMPACT. Also, if I were a photographer... I'd also find a way to carry that tool of livelihood... . (Anyone hear from @BellfastDispatcher lately? )

In my two car example, where it's parked is less important than where it's used... I'm not aware of any 80,000gvw Honda's. Lol. Few drivers would take their 18 wheelers to a quick stop for milk...

And yes, some DO pack a "toad". Got one behind this motorcoach. This motorcoach has become an essential tool of livelihood. A covid safe mobile motel & kitchen... And office... And test & repair facility... It's about like driving a motel... Lol. Complete with parking space... For the consumer grade "toad"...
    08-23-20 09:31 AM

And yes, some DO pack a "toad". Got one behind this motorcoach. This motorcoach has become an essential tool of livelihood. A covid safe mobile motel & kitchen... And office... And test & repair facility... It's about like driving a motel... Lol. Complete with parking space... For the consumer grade "toad"...
    08-23-20 09:35 AM
    Results after 3100 votes

Definitely more positive than one would think.

This tells me that the PKB has not yet been implemented in a way that appeals to the masses, at least TCL's KEY phones weren't it.Keyboard poll - interesting results-screenshot_20200824-215759.jpeg
    08-24-20 08:59 PM

While this may not be a reliable metric to determine if a PKB can be successful in the market, it is interesting to note that the amount of slabbers who voted that they wouldn't buy one no matter what is not THAT much greater than the other options.

This tells me that a device with a PKB can be successful if it checks most boxes for consumers.

The question is, under which form factor would it have most chances of success...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200822-223134_Firefox.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	449363
    Take the ASUS ROG Phone 3 or Note20 Ultra specs and slap a PKB on that and things could be interesting. We have not seen a fully fledged PKB flagship with a top chip, top camera and top display, I hope Onward Mobility are ready to go the full way, not make something with mid end specs.

Then again this poll is over 2000 people who go to Android Authority so not a true representation of the average phone buyer, for all we know it’s a bunch of ex-CrackBerryans who decided to jump to Samsung, LG, Nokia, Pixel etc...
    08-25-20 05:39 PM
    Take the ASUS ROG Phone 3 or Note20 Ultra specs and slap a PKB on that and things could be interesting. We have not seen a fully fledged PKB flagship with a top chip, top camera and top display, I hope Onward Mobility are ready to go the full way, not make something with mid end specs.

Then again this poll is over 2000 people who go to Android Authority so not a true representation of the average phone buyer, for all we know it’s a bunch of ex-CrackBerryans who decided to jump to Samsung, LG, Nokia, Pixel etc...
    Former PKB users are definitely as much of a market to go after!

And yeah maybe most of them would be okay spending towards a PKB device or a good add-on, but it can't compromise on the nice big AMOLED screen.
    08-25-20 06:23 PM
    I can't help but think there could be a large number of PKB fans reading the article already because they are searching out articles like this. Even so, encouraging.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-25-20 10:17 PM
    KEYone and KEY2 devices are excellent.

TCL did a terrible job at marketing and providing real support for customers.

Hopefully the new partnership will address both of these areas.
    08-26-20 04:42 AM
    KEYone and KEY2 devices are excellent.

TCL did a terrible job at marketing and providing real support for customers.

Hopefully the new partnership will address both of these areas.
    Unfortunately, the best indicator we have is Sonim which I think is either the Onward Mobility backer or will follow a very similar business plan.

For me, that would translate into AT&T carrier sales and support. The only sales promotions would be from carrier and only sold online most likely. This is right from AT&T KEYone playbook. That also meant zero WFC but VoLTE supported.

Sonim is publicly traded company and founded around Y2K or so. TCL far larger company but used it’s TCT division to own and run BlackBerry Mobile on limited resources.

If this follows the same path, I’ll buy one device through carrier. Interesting note about Sonim is that it follows BlackBerry Limited warranty plan method. It only covers the original new first purchaser from authorized retailers only.
    08-26-20 07:51 AM