So I have been having this idea in my head for a long time and it is quite possible I am not the first one here to come up with it. Recently I thought of it again as I noticed some laptop manufacturer (forgot which one) showed a laptop with touchpad that served as a display as well. And since physical keyboard does have its limits when it comes to how interactive it can be (and software keyboard beats it in this field as it switches to either emojis or different symbols in a second) it made me think whether it would be possible to create an ultimate (and expensive lol) keyboard that would be touch capable like now plus it would be made of some sort of e-ink display or other type of simple display mechanism. So normally it would look like a standard BB keyboard with standard letter and symbols layout but with certain gestures or apps it would instantly change to different symbols, emojis or would start pulsing with some colors as one big notification area (I loved how you could change the color of track ball on old BB phones ). What do you guys think, is it possible and is it future? I love classic BB keyboards (curve one is my favourite as it has space between each key and I have quite big fingers) but then you cannnot stop progress right and people expect more and more for their money (and key2 is already overpriced phone IMO). Let me know in the comments, thanks and have a nice day!
    10-02-18 03:17 PM
    So I have been having this idea in my head for a long time and it is quite possible I am not the first one here to come up with it. Recently I thought of it again as I noticed some laptop manufacturer (forgot which one) showed a laptop with touchpad that served as a display as well. And since physical keyboard does have its limits when it comes to how interactive it can be (and software keyboard beats it in this field as it switches to either emojis or different symbols in a second) it made me think whether it would be possible to create an ultimate (and expensive lol) keyboard that would be touch capable like now plus it would be made of some sort of e-ink display or other type of simple display mechanism. So normally it would look like a standard BB keyboard with standard letter and symbols layout but with certain gestures or apps it would instantly change to different symbols, emojis or would start pulsing with some colors as one big notification area (I loved how you could change the color of track ball on old BB phones ). What do you guys think, is it possible and is it future? I love classic BB keyboards (curve one is my favourite as it has space between each key and I have quite big fingers) but then you cannnot stop progress right and people expect more and more for their money (and key2 is already overpriced phone IMO). Let me know in the comments, thanks and have a nice day!
    So a permanent virtual keyboard? Maybe throw in some BlackBerry SurePress (from the STORM) technology too.. so you still have the clickiness.

Possible... I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Wanted by enough to make it viable .... that I doubt.
    10-02-18 04:00 PM
    not really a virtual keyboard. You could imagine it as a classic keyboard, like passport one, but it would be all white (or normally there would be standard letters) but with a certain swipe or a push of certan button u would change the symbols on keys. Those physical keys would be touch sensitive (likepassport, key2...) but they would be also interactive, so letters would change for number and emojis or whatever... That physical keyboard would be basically made of simple mechanism like E-ink on e-readers that is not much power consuming... you get me more now?
    BlueOhSix likes this.
    10-02-18 04:39 PM
    If it was put into paragraphs... it wouldn't be a wall of words. :S
    OLED for the keys would be your best bet, or e-ink. Though, that'll be a bit expensive if they're clickable keys.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    10-10-18 12:46 AM
    https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/19/...-sonder-rumors

so I havent been that far from possible reality...
    10-20-18 12:09 PM
    I believe this is the future even for blackberry keyboards. Imagine passport style three-row keyboard that is interactive like that... saves space and can change language or symbol input in a swipe of a finger
    10-20-18 12:11 PM