Hello!

I've been researching this issue for some while and don't have an answer for it. My BlackBerry Curve 8520 is a German model, meaning it has a QWERTZ keyboard as opposed to a QWERTY. I also played around with an AZERTY (French) BlackBerry and would have loved to be able to configure it to the standard QWERTY.

I know how to replace the physical keyboard, but this alone will not change the keyboard character mapping. Some say they are hardware wired, I say they are NOT. Example: all applications recognize the Z in my QWERTZ 8520 as a Z, but the Device Self Test application (Keyboard Test) recognizes it as a Y. The Device Self Test application uses lower level functions to access the keyboard and can so get the actual scan code for the key rather than the ASCII code (or the key you physically see on the keyboard). This proves that the BlackBerry internally works as a QWERTY device, but has a software shim translating all bits and bytes so it can emulate itself as an AZERTY or QWERTZ device as needed.

Some said that flashing the BlackBerry with an USA firmware would "magically" convert a QWERTZ into a QWERTY. I haven't tried this yet, though I've heard from many that it doesn't do the trick. I'll look into this later. Some say also that changing the Language would be enough. I am sorry, but it is not. Changing the input language between German and English on my QWERTZ 8520 doesn't change a thing.

Some solutions I've thought of that could workaround this:
    a) Manipulate the English language data so that it forces a Y instead of a Z on a QWERTZ (and the opposite too).
    b) Implement my own software shim to emulate a QWERTY.
    c) Hack the BlackBerry at low-level and force it to be recognized as a North American device.

a sounds the easiest to do (a simple find/replace in a configuration file?), b is already a bit more challenging (requires knowledge of low level BlackBerry APIs) and c almost impossible to do (knowing how the BlackBerry works at ciruit level is almost a prerequisite for this).

I already know it is not a hardware issue. It is in software, somewhere at least. Has anyone else found anything that could help me with this? Thank you very much!

- shinkodachi
    12-20-09 08:58 AM
    Hello, i have a Rogers Bold. two days ago i've unbranded my phone
    now, when i type the letter z it displays the letter y
    and wen i type the leter y it displays the letter z
    also, i cant dial the number 0 anymore
    what should i do to change my phone to qwertz
    thank you for your help
    01-17-10 02:08 AM
    Same problem here. Help, anyone?
    01-28-10 06:15 PM
    If anyone is seriously considering hacking it for this purpose, they may want to look at the net.rim.device.api.ui.KeypadInternal.setHardwareMa p(int) and net.rim.device.api.ui.KeypadInternal.setHardwareLa yout(int) methods.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 09:14 PM
    If anyone is seriously considering hacking it for this purpose, they may want to look at the net.rim.device.api.ui.KeypadInternal.setHardwareMa p(int) and net.rim.device.api.ui.KeypadInternal.setHardwareLa yout(int) methods.

Huh??
    ~bump~

01-29-10 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD