Serious question. Is the keyboard and BBM the main reason you have a BlackBerry? I have a Torch, Storm 2 (backup phone), and an iPhone 4. I'm considering going to Android with the Note (or wait for Note 2). I'm a multimedia type person and found the Samsung amazing, never looked at them lately.

I was considering jumping with my contract, buying a PAYG, for my Torch (BBM, email), and the iPhone 4? Dunno, it's still on contract.
    08-23-12 10:56 AM
    Although I am a huge fan of QWERTY keyboards the keyboard is not my primary reason for using or continuing to use a BlackBerry. There is more to the usefulness of the platform than the method of input as far as I am concerned.

With respect to BBM, I always laugh whenever I hear / read people say that BBM is their main reason for using or the one thing that keeps them using BlackBerry. Nice application to be sure but I have never viewed it as a world turning game changer.
    BoldPreza likes this.
    08-23-12 11:31 AM
    For some people, the keyboard is a huge reason to stay with BlackBerry. There are lots of other reasons for people that tend to just get things done rather than playing. If multimedia is your primary focus, seems like another platform might be better. New BlackBerry phones hold their own, but certainly are lacking some apps.

I find things like a better email experience (like delete on device only) and snoozing appointments and syncing Memos to Outlook and keyboard shortcuts and AutoText to be critical for me. I pretty much require a Trackpad, LED notification, Back button and removable battery. Only BlackBerry gives me all that and BBM too.
    08-23-12 11:37 AM
    The keyboard is one of the main reasons I cannot seem to leave BB. BBM has never been a reason for me to remain with the OS, but it is a nice thing to have to communicate easily with friends outside of the U.S.

Most of the other things are what keep me here, like the LED, the sound profiles, Auto-Text, etc. Everytime I try a different platform or device, I end up back here because it is missing most or all of those things.
    08-23-12 11:41 AM
    Its definitely not the keyboard in my case. Its the reliability I have experienced, build quality(which instill confidence when I drop it) and the simple fact that it has made my life much, much easier versus my old feature phones as I no longer carry a laptop anywhere with me where I used to lug it to school, or on vacation, etc.
    08-23-12 11:42 AM
    If you are a multimedia centric user an iOS or Android phone may better fit your needs. BB are designed for communication first, other things second. My GS2 can do so much more than my 9900, but it can't beat it as far as calendar and email.
    Mr_Comet likes this.
    08-23-12 11:43 AM
    For me it's the efficiency of emails and the physical keyboard.
    08-23-12 12:37 PM
    Physical keyboard is certainly a Major factor, but not the only one
    BBM another factor only because the majority of my friends and family have BBM so it is a good way to keep in touch, I never liked SMS, still don't but BBM got me hooked like ICQ did back in the 90's

I use BlackBerry because

- Physical keyboard,
    - Autotext - word substitution
    - LED notification light / Profiles
    - Delete emails on Handheld / InBox / Both options
    - The way it loads an email at the top of the email body, not the top of the recipient list, but I just press "T" and I get to the top of the recipient list
    - KeyBoard short cuts, they only save a few seconds, but seconds are seconds and sometimes you only have a few
    - swappable battery, I keep a spare battery in my car charging while I'm driving
    - BBM, my social circle is still predominately BlackBerry so BBM is heavily used by me.
    - TrackPad navigation, I can cover the whole screen with my thumb in one place
    - Data compression, this is to a lesser extent now that my US travel has been greatly diminished. but none the less it has saved me a lot of money over the years
    Last edited by deRusett; 08-23-12 at 01:27 PM.
    08-23-12 01:17 PM
    Honestly, when I chose my 9900, it was because when I first tried the keyboard in the store, I wanted to never have to type on anything else. I absolutely adore it.

The LED is another factor, because I like having custom colors set to contacts, so I can just glance at my phone to see whats going on.

Lastly, I've never had a problem with my BlackBerry. This is my second, first being an old Curve when my family tested out Sprint for a bit. But my BlackBerry has always been there when I needed it and has never really let me down. RIM will continue to have my support.
    08-23-12 01:32 PM
    Serious question. Is the keyboard and BBM the main reason you have a BlackBerry? I have a Torch, Storm 2 (backup phone), and an iPhone 4. I'm considering going to Android with the Note (or wait for Note 2). I'm a multimedia type person and found the Samsung amazing, never looked at them lately.

I was considering jumping with my contract, buying a PAYG, for my Torch (BBM, email), and the iPhone 4? Dunno, it's still on contract.
    To answer your question, keyboard is my main reason.
    BBM is always uninstalled in my case.
    08-23-12 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll kinda miss the memos, keyboard and emailing on the keyboard. I find BBM useful cause most people use it where I am, broadcasters are irritating though. I have an iPhone 4 too, the only 2 things I dislike are iTunes, and built in memory only.
    08-23-12 01:55 PM
    i got mine mostly for forum browsing and posting on the go. bbm is a nice touch but i dont see how its better than msn

and the email/notifications is great too. i only wish it had a better app market but it seems theyre giving up on os 7, i wasnt prepared to wait for 10 though

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    08-23-12 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD