BlackBerry hits pause on annual phone upgrade trend
    https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry...upgrade-trend/
    02-24-19 06:44 PM
    Sounds good to me...
    02-24-19 08:07 PM
    Works for me too...

Bob
    02-24-19 08:15 PM
    I could definitely hang onto my key2 till then. Atleast we know a key3 will be in production
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    02-24-19 08:31 PM
    Right in time for Android R.
    02-24-19 08:35 PM
    At least they're honest about needing to find true innovations for people to upgrade... other OEM's are just adding notches/hole punches and calling it a day lol
    02-24-19 10:12 PM
    BlackBerry hits pause on annual phone upgrade trend
    https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry...upgrade-trend/
    Bought Key2 in 2019 so not upgrading before 2020 anyway 😁
    Vladislavt likes this.
    02-25-19 12:34 AM
    Kind of disappointed. Was hoping for a refresh with a bigger screen and better camera.. *sigh*
    02-25-19 01:06 AM
    I think this the right strategy. BlackBerry is unique in the market so they are able to do it.

But They could've announced the KEY2s or something with an upgraded processor and maybe a better camera and better space bar? Than you could honestly make it another year until KEY3
    02-25-19 01:55 AM
    hopefully this extra time means a perfected Key3 machine in 2020.

the Key2/LE was a big upgrade from the KeyOne. Totally new device in every aspect, so I'm assuming the Key3 will continue that trend and be redesigned again with up-to-date specs.

kinda hoping BBMobile uses an AMOLED screen this time (3 times a charm?) and if we are lucky a bezelless display.
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    02-25-19 02:43 AM
    this is also a subliminal news story; telling us that there is in fact a Key3 on the way which is great news.

I have no problem using my slate LE for another year. Love this machine.
    Sigewif likes this.
    02-25-19 02:45 AM
    Disappointed - but will keep using my Passport in the hope of a larger Keyboard device in 2020!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-19 04:00 AM
    Disappointed - but will keep using my Passport in the hope of a larger Keyboard device in 2020!

Posted via CB10
    .... if they were going to change the FORMAT, they could release something new now - Bigger, Smaller, Slider or even a SLAB. As those would be different from products currently in production.

But I think they are going to stick with the KEY design, they are just waiting for a set of components that offers a bigger reason to upgrade. Reality is the PKB market is probable too small for yearly devices to be viable for the company.

Too me who doesn't like the PKB format... it's sad those that say they do, but refuse to support the only company that's willing to offer an option.
    02-25-19 07:40 AM
    While understandable, I'm disappointed, to say the least. As the owner of an aging KEYone I was banking on the Key3's release. Can't bring myself to spring for the Key2 thanks to its camera downgrade.

I can hold out to the end of 2019... but midway through 2020? That's a hard sell. Who knows. Maybe it'll be fine.
    02-25-19 08:38 AM
    The headline is misleading if you actually read it says not before 6 months, so you might see a key3 as early as the Fall. The mid 2020 phone would be a "possible" 5G phone.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    02-25-19 08:59 AM
    I do hope its NOT a 5g phone in 2020.

I know its the buzz word right now - but there is no real network coverage (and when i mean coverage i dont mean some cities have it in some areas).

I hope they put the upgrade in the screen (oled) for instance.
    02-25-19 10:30 AM

I know its the buzz word right now - but there is no real network coverage (and when i mean coverage i dont mean some cities have it in some areas).

It will need a buzzword though. "Now with 5G" could provide an excuse to upgrade.

It's harder to run with "slightly better camera", or "slightly better screen", or "slightly faster SoC".
    anon(10387168) and Vistaus like this.
    02-25-19 10:34 AM
    It will need a buzzword though. "Now with 5G" could provide an excuse to upgrade.

It's harder to run with "slightly better camera", or "slightly better screen", or "slightly faster SoC".
    That might be true from a marketing side.

But I guess you also know that even in 2020 5g is not ready technology. So me - personally - do hope they invest the upgrade budget in something like:

- now with qhd oled
    - now waterproff
    - now with three cameras (more is better)
    - now with bigger screen
    - now without navigation bar
    the_boon and anon(4295315) like this.
    02-25-19 10:43 AM
    That might be true from a marketing side.

But I guess you also know that even in 2020 5g is not ready technology. So me - personally - do hope they invest the upgrade budget in something like:

- now with qhd oled
    - now waterproff
    - now with three cameras (more is better)
    - now with bigger screen
    - now without navigation bar
    All great features, yes. We may get some of them if they can keep the price the same - which is another good reason to wait.

I admit I'm looking at this more from a business/marketing perspective, as that is ultimately what will keep BBMo in the game.

I do believe that any OEM's flagship phone released in late 2019 or early 2020 should come with 5G - particularly when people tend to hold on to devices for 2.5 years on average.
    02-25-19 10:46 AM
    I do understand waiting for 2020 till the next upgrade. The pkb market is to small for yearly upgrades.

Also dont mind if they keep the next year price high.

Concering Marketing and 5G:
    Was interesting to see that also Samsung has put out a super special (and more expensive) 5g S10. Samsung of course knows, that right now 5g is just a gimmick without real world use - there is no infrastructure.
    02-25-19 10:55 AM
    Then I need not worry of upgrading phone for one more year and I can peacefully use my key2. Good news for me!
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    02-25-19 11:01 AM

Isn't that basically what ALL the other OEM's do? And people still shell out tons of money for the new ones with the "slightly better this and that"
    02-25-19 11:04 AM
    Isn't that basically what ALL the other OEM's do? And people still shell out tons of money for the new ones with the "slightly better this and that"
    Imo, BlackBerry fans are generally more pragmatic.
    02-25-19 11:24 AM
    5G in 2020? Hahaha. I'm about to buy a Key2 or Key 2LE, both of which have a processor that is 2+ years old, that has old screen technology, that has old camera technology, etc, etc. If anyone here thinks TCL is going to include 5G into a device next year then they are likely going to be wrong. You have to expect 2-3 year old technology when buying a Key device right now. That's not an opinion - that's actually fact. Don't get me wrong, I love my Classic and I look forward to owning a Key2 but let's be realistic here. You have to have VERY low expectations when it comes to technology inclusion in the Key series. It would be nice to have 5G for us business users to help with efficiency but that's the last thing I am expecting for the Key3. I'm just hoping for a capacitive keyboard that actually works, an upgraded screen to maybe this year's technology is we're lucky, and a processor perhaps from 2018. That would be nice and in-line with what was delivered with the Key2 (and I am not saying this in a bad way - just being realistic).
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    02-25-19 11:58 AM

Yeah, apart from some American and South Korean cities. there will be no good 5G coverage next year.
    02-25-19 12:12 PM
312 123 ...