The key to success for RIM would be how many BB10 will they sell and at what price. There are may be 1million users waiting for the BB10 for upgrade, but I think they should do over 10 times that within the first 3 months at a decent price for the market to take them seriously. Any comments on this?
    11-19-12 11:42 AM
    i dont think they need 10 million bb10 sales. Right now if they get 10 million OS7 and BB10 sales in the 3 months they are holding steady in their sales figures. If they can get to 13-15 million in sales for a quarter and even if 5 million are bb10 sales i think its a great sign and i think they can do that
    11-19-12 11:46 AM
    i dont think they need 10 million bb10 sales. Right now if they get 10 million OS7 and BB10 sales in the 3 months they are holding steady in their sales figures. If they can get to 13-15 million in sales for a quarter and even if 5 million are bb10 sales i think its a great sign and i think they can do that
    Good point and again, its a new platform, let it settle and get the word out.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    11-19-12 11:50 AM
    the smartphone market is crowded. consumers don't need another OS to do what can be done on current platforms. to succeed, rim needs to be super innovative.
    11-19-12 12:02 PM
    The key to success for RIM would be how many BB10 will they sell and at what price. There are may be 1million users waiting for the BB10 for upgrade, but I think they should do over 10 times that within the first 3 months at a decent price for the market to take them seriously. Any comments on this?
    And you base this on... what, exactly?

I'm pretty sure RIM has some very clear projections on what they need to do. To say the "key to success for RIM would be how many BB10 they sell and at what price" is kind of like saying water is wet. Personally (and bear in mind that I'm a shareholder), I will be disappointed in anything short of 5 mil sold by the end of calendar Q2 next year (i.e., the end of June). And I'm hoping for better.
    SilkySunshine likes this.
    11-19-12 12:07 PM
    the smartphone market is crowded. consumers don't need another OS to do what can be done on current platforms. to succeed, rim needs to be super innovative.
    I dispute that the MARKET is crowded. It's actually nowhere near mature (in other words, there's a huge chunk of potential market out there of people who are yet to buy their first smartphone). I would also dispute that there are too many choices, too; we've essentially got iOS, Android, the current BBs, WP, and Symbian (which appears to be dwindling, so I'm not sure I'd count it). Given that there are maybe a billion potential customers out there who haven't bought yet, I don't think that represents too much choice.
    11-19-12 12:10 PM
    It will be the best selling product RIM has ever produced.
    11-19-12 11:27 PM
    Once price becomes a feature the product is considered a commodity.

The secret to success is to justify a higher price. And in order to justify a higher price RIM will have to provide features not found anywhere.

Once a company uses price as a weapon, they lost.
    11-20-12 12:04 AM