Sorry this is so long, wanted to give all the facts up front.

My company has now decided to go company wide with Blackberry. Good part is that they they will be BIS so I can do whatever I want with it and have personal email and apps. Bad new is they are looking at Verizon as the carrier and the Curve 8330 as the equipment. I am trying to get onto the steering committee for this project since I am one a few company wide who has any experience with Blackberry. My recommendation so far has been to look at the Tour instead and I think I am making some headway.

My dilemma is that I have a Bold on ATT with a year and half left on the contract. It is my personal phone and number (that I've had for years) but the company pays for it. The company is offering to buy out the contract so my phone number will become a company number. Or I can keep my Bold and number and get a new company phone/number. I am in sales and there would be hundreds of people I would have to update with my new number. Of course, they could still reach me on my personal line.

If they were going to use the BES I could see keeping the Bold in service. Because the new phones will be BIS, does it make sense to keep both? I would have to pick up the monthly payments but I could reduce the voice plan since most of my calls are business.

I guess it really comes down to the equipment question for me. If they go 8330 I think I would keep my Bold. If they go with the Tour I am leaning toward shelving the Bold.

Anyone have a similar situation or recommendations?

Thanks
    08-11-09 01:20 PM
    If they are gonna buy out the contract (that is pay the ETF) I say let them do it. You don't need two BBs and the Curve 8330 is a fine BB. (yes the Tour would be better) Also you can use the device switch wizard in Desktop Manager to transfer your contacts from the Bold to the Curve or Tour. And hopefully after they buy out your ATT contract they can port your number, the only hesitation there would be this might leave you phone numberless for a few days.
    08-11-09 01:25 PM
    How about suggesting/asking if they could make it an option for an employee (you) to pay the difference for the Tour? The company can subsidize the amount that the Curve would have cost them.

Then you can sell the Bold and probably come out even or ahead, depending on whether you get any discounts on the Tour.
    08-11-09 01:35 PM
    Well I think I have come to a conclusion. Whether our new phone is the Curve or Tour, I am keeping my phone number and hence my phone account. However, since I do not need two BB's (blasphemy), I am going to get an iphone 3G with the cheapest phone plan. I will keep the Bold in the chance I leave my job I can still have it if I need it later.
    08-14-09 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD