Hey all,

I'm a noob at the whole blackberry thing (got an 8130 3 days ago) and have been debating whether to keep it due to the huge verizon data fees. (it was an impulse buy since my last phone broke and I just needed something ASAP) I was in a rush and didn't realize it doesn't have real wifi capability. It seems to me it would be more efficient to get something like an ipod touch (costs as much as the data fees ALONE for one year) paired with a regular phone rather than keep this (and be married to the data fees forever). On the flipside I can get the net anywhere with the BB, but wifi hotspots are so common these days it seems more people are taking the 2 device option. I'm just looking for input why the BB may be the better option. (I don't need internet access constantly and I can still text with a regular phone) Unfortunately I don't make a lot of $$ so the cost-benefit analysis is tight.

Thanks for any input
    05-29-08 06:01 PM
    Only you can say when it comes to $

I did the palm and cheap phone plan for a long time. Love having it all now but sprint is great and I don't know about vz?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-08 06:18 PM
    This makes me sad as a Blackberry lover to say, but....

Realistically if you don't need the Berry for email or constant browsing or any other business needs, and you're not in love with it, then it's not worth the cost. I have no problem paying for a data plan but I live on my Berry for work and play... So, it all comes down to whether you really need it. That's my two cents. Hope it helps.
    05-29-08 06:22 PM
    I cant speak for your pockets- but its really up to what you can/cannot afford. I think you already know what is best for you.

Personally, I think the BB is great. I did the PDA/Phone thing back in 2000. At the time, having a PDA (Palm T|3) made me the coolest kid walking. Soon after, everyone that I worked with had to have one. For its purposes, that combo worked out well.

At this time, I couldnt imagine not having an all-in-1 device. The BB does what it was designed to do well. So far, I've no complaints and Sprints "simply everything" makes it an even better deal.
    05-29-08 06:27 PM
    I went the PDA/Cell Phone route for some time. I had a Palm LifeDrive with WiFi capability and a Cell phone. I found that many of the hotspots were not convenient and the ones that were were T-Mobile or similar and one needed to pay a fee to use them. The T-Mobile hotspot unlimited is $25/mo. I needed Push email for my business and that was the main reason for gettiing my Curve.
    Today I exchanged emails with business associates in Alaska and also spoke to them on the phone. I composed emails to a 3rd party while collaborating with the associate in Alaska. When I hung up from the call I sent the email to the 3rd party.
    This type of functionality is why a Blackberry is valuable to me.
    I guess it depends on your needs. $30/mo for BB unlimited data on AT&T is a bargain!
    05-29-08 06:32 PM
    I used to have the 2-device setup, and I don't miss it.

How much do you need real PDA functions? If you really want the standard Palm stuff (contacts, tasks, memo, etc) then you'll be a bit disappointed with an iPod touch - the multimedia stuff is great but the PDA functions leave a bit to be desired.

Also, while there are a lot of hotspots it's kind of a pain to be looking for a coffee shop every time you need to check something online, and sometimes it can be a pain to connect. Add to that the fact that Apple's wifi setup isn't the best (we have wifi at home and my husband won't even use it with his iphone b/c it's such a pain. He occasionally has trouble with his Mac too). If you're on a college campus 99% of the time where you're always on the same network you'll probably be pleased with the ipod touch, but if that's not the case you may not be so happy. Just my .02.
    05-29-08 06:48 PM
    Only you can say when it comes to $

I did the palm and cheap phone plan for a long time. Love having it all now but sprint is great and I don't know about vz?

I agree only you can decide when it come to $ how much spend.

Welcome to CB.
    05-29-08 07:20 PM
    I have VZW what data plan were you going with cuz I have the 30 dollar plan and don't have a problem with it because I don't need the BES service but its all your call

05-29-08 07:55 PM
    I have 2 BB - one for work and one for myself. I intentionally bought the Pearl since the keyboard is a pain in the *** which should keep my data usage down as I'm a pretty heavy user.

So far, it's working. Unfortunately, the damn ease of snapping pictures and then emailing them may be a problem...
    05-29-08 08:18 PM
    i think it comes down to verizon charges a lot and the pearl (for me at least) was hard to type on and so i never really used its functions like i do my curve
    its great to have everything all in 1 no matter where you go, but if its not cost efficient for you, then do what you gotta do
    i hope our responses are helpful
    05-29-08 09:07 PM
    Thanks everyone - I think I'll keep it since its a break even scenario for the first year between data fees, or paying for a pda all at once + continuing with a standard phone / plan. BTW, what are the major differences between the verizon 8130 and 8330? (the full qwerty seems tempting)
    05-29-08 09:56 PM
    Get the Curve. Bigger screen, qwerty board, pix/flix cam, and still small on form factor. My Curve is the best phone I've ever owned. Period.

05-29-08 11:42 PM
    I have a curve and I personally love it currently sitting on the beach on vacation typing everyone this mesage! BB ftw!

Best phone I have ever owned period!

05-30-08 10:47 AM
    i went from a pearl to a curve
    its definitely worth it
    i just hate suretype and so typing on the pearl was too difficult for me to use it as much as i use my curve
    i didnt even keep data on my pearl because chatting and emailing was just too much
    and the wider screen makes web surfing MUCH better
    the differences are actually small since the 2 phones work the same but they really add up to a better device, esp for what you need it for
    just my honest opinion
    05-30-08 10:51 AM
    Did U know that sand is the finest thing that seeps into cell phones; generally w/O our knowledge.

Hope U have it well protected from sand intrusion while Ur texting from the beach.

05-30-08 11:46 AM
    I have an IPod Touch as well as a blackberry. A IPT is not really a PDA...its an IPod foremost, and it doesnt have much of the available options the blackberry does re: pda capabilities. The IPT is more media and not business. Regarding the wifi, i love my VZW pearl its cool to go online and have AIM on all the time. When i'm in a wifi area, i do find myself grabbing the touch if i want to surf the net, i love safari (as i am an apple addict first and foremost).

If your not totally in love with the phone then by all means find something that you are happy with.

Keep in mind...IPT is $299(8GB), $399(16GB), $499(32GB) bucks up front...At 400 bucks...taking into account the data plan for unlimited at vzw is 30...the IPT is ~13 months of data coverage. Which is a year into your contract...which at THAT point you can do an annual upgrade and recieve the $50 dollars off and get an new phone.
    05-30-08 11:58 AM
    Can I just co-sign your post, ShortStop?

I got my TOuch thinking - A PDA! Now I have a Berry 6 months later. Who knew?
    05-30-08 01:45 PM
    LOL reneebob! I am an apple addict so when it came out i had to get it, i preordered it and everything...I only use it as an ipod, and a cool place to store much of my photos...

I just got my BB and thats where i sync my ICal and tasks and stickys!

I do love them both though
    05-31-08 11:22 AM
    Hey in this economy you gotta watch your pockets if you can't justify the cost dont keep it but it will miss you.
    05-31-08 11:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD