Title says it all. Do you keep your GPS on or off?
    07-17-09 08:30 AM
    I keep mine on E911 unless I need location. Why waste resources (battery & memory) if you don't need to?
    07-17-09 08:32 AM
    Whenever not in use, I keep all radio's off (wifi, GPS and bluetooth) and only keep the network open...I know..."well duh".
    07-17-09 08:46 AM
    If you do not have anything running that is looking for a GPS signal, does the phone still try to keep track of your location? I would like to keep mine on so it would be ready when I open Poynt or Goole Maps but not if it is going to run the battery down.
    07-17-09 09:26 AM
    If you do not have anything running that is looking for a GPS signal, does the phone still try to keep track of your location? I would like to keep mine on so it would be ready when I open Poynt or Goole Maps but not if it is going to run the battery down.
    It's my understanding that the GPS radio will still ping your location on intervals. The effect however is minimal.
    07-17-09 09:28 AM
    Some have suggested that having the GPS on will not effect memory or battery as long as an app is not tapping into it. It simply sits there idle with no drain if nothing's trying to use it. This may be true in theory, but I do see an increased battery life if the GPS is off. I've tested this, making sure all else was the same. Battery simply performs better with it off. This trumps the theories I've read....for me.
    07-17-09 09:33 AM
    Since I installed .151 I see no significant drain with GPS on all the time.

With other OS's there was a drain.
    07-17-09 09:48 AM
    E911 only. BTW far as i know google maps doesn't require GPS location on. Works for me w/o.
    07-17-09 10:57 AM
    Since I installed .151 I see no significant drain with GPS on all the time.

With other OS's there was a drain.
    Yeah I can confirm this, I used to see significant drain, to the point where I'd have to charge every night. With .151 I'm finding the battery is lasting up to two days with the GPS on. I've also noticed things like Poynt, Google Maps, and Ubertwitter can find my location 10x faster than before. .151 is a gift from the Gods.
    07-17-09 11:10 AM
    Whenever not in use, I keep all radio's off (wifi, GPS and bluetooth) and only keep the network open...I know..."well duh".
    You're wasting your time. The GPS chipset goes dormant if not polled by any GPS aware apps.

It's my understanding that the GPS radio will still ping your location on intervals. The effect however is minimal.
    Incorrect.

I keep mine on E911 unless I need location. Why waste resources (battery & memory) if you don't need to?
    Incorrect. See above.
    07-17-09 11:13 AM
    I leave mine on. If there is a battery or memory drain its too insignificant to notice. My phone religiously boots at 46.8MB at 5AM and by 10PM its always still above 40 with constant use. In that same time frame, at the end of the day I still have 10% battery life remaining. No reboots or recharges during the day, and it doesn't matter if the gps is on or off. To me turning it off is just an inconvenience because if I want to use a gps based app I have to turn it back on manually. There may or may not be a drain but again, to me its insignificant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 11:24 AM
    You're wasting your time. The GPS chipset goes dormant if not polled by any GPS aware apps.

Incorrect.

Incorrect. See above.
    JRSCCivic98, I respect your input. However, I simply get better battery performance with the GPS off (with or without an app polling the GPS). I rarely use the GPS so it's not a pain to turn it on only when I need it. I previously firmly believed having the GPS on had minimal impact. Eventually, my real life experience has proven otherwise. Granted, it was much more noticible under .148.
    07-17-09 11:31 AM
    JRSCCivic98, I respect your input. However, I simply get better battery performance with the GPS off (with or without an app polling the GPS). I rarely use the GPS so it's not a pain to turn it on only when I need it. I previously firmly believed having the GPS on had minimal impact. Eventually, my real life experience has proven otherwise. Granted, it was much more noticible under .148.
    Then something is polling it. Whether it's something like Weatherbug or even maybe the Camera being set to geotag pics you take. Who knows... something must be polling it one way or another.
    07-17-09 11:38 AM
    Thanks for the replys. I am going to turn it on and see what happens with the battery.
    07-17-09 11:43 AM
    I keep everything off (even the WiFi) unless I want to use them.

07-17-09 11:45 AM
    Then something is polling it. Whether it's something like Weatherbug or even maybe the Camera being set to geotag pics you take. Who knows... something must be polling it one way or another.
    Could be, but I don't have any weather programs and the camera is not geotagging. The only "true" GPS programs I have installed right now are BB Maps, Goolge Maps, and GPSed. All are closed until I need them. I've gone days and several reboots without using any of them. Improved performance is simply a great mystery. Don't know the why's and how's...I'll just accept the better battery [again, it's not nearly as noticible on .151].
    07-17-09 11:45 AM
    I run my Storm full boar, gps, bluetooth, etc. The phone works fine. No lag at all and mem is stable. Its there to use, don't be afraid.
    07-17-09 02:05 PM
    Hm, I'm not quite sure this is true. Can you provide a source to back up this position?

I'm just wondering, among other things, why there would be an option to turn off or on the GPS at will if it automatically turns itself on and off when not in use. And also, why the battery drains much more when the GPS is on than when it is off?

Perhaps the assisted server is not pinged when the GPS chipset is dormant, but I'm fairly sure that the CGPS (conventional standalone) is always on.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-17-09 at 03:05 PM.
    07-17-09 02:55 PM
    Hm, I'm not quite sure this is true. Can you provide a source to back up this position?

I'm just wondering, among other things, why there would be an option to turn off or on the GPS at will if it automatically turns itself on and off when not in use.
    Lots of reasons: To allow admins to restrict access to gps, to allow end users to turn GPS off to prevent apps from accessing GPS, to prevent OTHERS from locking on to the GPS signal (paranoia) etc.

I have experienced ZERO difference in battery usage with GPS on (and dormant) vs. OFF, nor have I ever seen anyone actually document a case were it does happen.

Lot's of claims, conjecture and other useless crap, but no actual useful data ;-)
    07-17-09 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD