06-04-13 07:15 AM
26 12
tools
    BBM going cross platform is excellent, 1 year ago I would have said that would have been the nail in the coffin, BlackBerry has high hopes for BlackBerry 10 and I agree, BlackBerry now has so much more to offer then just BBM. It's a new fresh well embraced OS, it's something NEW and it will take time to catch on,

if BlackBerry were to keep BBM channels exclusive to only BlackBerry users BUT let android and IOS still see our channels, so in order for you to get the FULL effect out of BBM then you would still need to get a BlackBerry.
    why buy a Z10 over S4 and i5? I don't know Hub, Peek, flow, keyboard? Just to name a few

Sent from the Amazing Z10
    Mecca EL and Natral Cutie like this.
    05-24-13 05:40 AM
    What possible good would that do for RIM? The entire point of channels is as a potential source of brand advertising revenue so it makes sense to open it to as large an audience as possible. RIM want to collect and sell personal data to advertisers, there's a lot of money in it.

BBM going cross platform is excellent, 1 year ago I would have said that would have been the nail in the coffin, BlackBerry has high hopes for BlackBerry 10 and I agree, BlackBerry now has so much more to offer then just BBM. It's a new fresh well embraced OS, it's something NEW and it will take time to catch on,

if BlackBerry were to keep BBM channels exclusive to only BlackBerry users BUT let android and IOS still see our channels, so in order for you to get the FULL effect out of BBM then you would still need to get a BlackBerry.
    why buy a Z10 over S4 and i5? I don't know Hub, Peek, flow, keyboard? Just to name a few

05-24-13 07:14 AM
    Disagree with the OP

The biggest draw for channels would be to show how it can be used as brand building and targeted social networks or private social networks. For that you need the largest possible user base.
    Since they have gone cross platform with BBM, might as well build up Channels and see what this kind of mobile social network can get up to.
    I for one would love to make a private Channel for my friends, so we can share our stories and pictures privately. Even though all my friends are on BlackBerry, I still would love to have the ability to add non BlackBerry people.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 07:36 AM
    I'm not saying forever I'm saying use it as a teaser, if BBM channels are not available for IOS and Android when first launched that would not make people turn away BBM. Hold it hostage for a year

05-24-13 11:41 AM
    Probably the BEST reason FOR channels. I am looking to create a channel for a group of business associates that are spread across various platforms. Right now- we have a group on Facebook that everyone hates. Getting all on to BBM would mean a simpler and more robust means of communication.

I can see NOT porting video chat or BBM voice stuff, but a cross platform messaging service that can cater to a specific group of people is key.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    05-24-13 12:49 PM
    I'm not saying forever I'm saying use it as a teaser, if BBM channels are not available for IOS and Android when first launched that would not make people turn away BBM. Hold it hostage for a year

Hold it hostage for what purpose? I'm failing to see your point. Holding it hostage well merely limit its audience and therefore its usefulness, surely?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    05-24-13 07:39 PM
    Then channels wouldn't thrive in the US market. Would be a bad move Imo
    05-24-13 07:57 PM
    Huge BlackBerry fan, but just don't see channels becoming that great, on any platform

Posted from my amazing Z10
    05-24-13 08:01 PM
    It should be available for all but shout work the best on a BlackBerry device. I'm all for this going cross platform and staying that way. It would be an excellent way to communicate with people on the various sports teams I play on. It would mean death to inefficient group texts for sure. Bring it on.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 09:23 PM
    Probably the BEST reason FOR channels. I am looking to create a channel for a group of business associates that are spread across various platforms. Right now- we have a group on Facebook that everyone hates. Getting all on to BBM would mean a simpler and more robust means of communication.

I can see NOT porting video chat or BBM voice stuff, but a cross platform messaging service that can cater to a specific group of people is key.
    I like the way you think. I thought BBM Channels would be a flop, but if people take it up and use it to make private group channels, that would be appealing. Not as public and limiting as a twitter feeder, less clunky than a facebook group, and more freedom over text messaging groups.
    This in a way seems like BBM Group chats, but instead of being a conversation/discussion, it becomes more of a producer/consumer scheme.

One possible exclusive thing they can do is to only allow BlackBerry users to start a BBM Channel. So if someone wants to make a BBM channel, they have to buy at least 1 BlackBerry phone. In this sense, the BlackBerry is the "leader" and everyone else is the "followers".
    05-24-13 09:27 PM
    Hold it hostage so that people will actually try the new Z10 and not just use their iphone or Android

05-28-13 03:43 PM
    If they're aiming to make BBM a true social network, it will need to be cross platform in order to have any potential of broadening its appeal. It's not going to happen overnight. If at first in the short term they can get BBM and BlackBerry back to relevancy among the general public mindshare wise, it would be considered a solid step. They can use that to springboard back into broader consumer appeal and hardware sales.

BB10 and the new generation of hardware needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet and convince people to pick them up based on their own merits. Holding Channels hostage and "forcing" people to pickup a BlackBerry will likely not turn out well and would probably backfire on them.
    05-28-13 10:47 PM
    On a side note, if anyone is using BBM Channels did you see the post from BlackBerry about managing your Channel via a web browser and your BlackBerry ID.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 12:17 PM
    I don't agree with the OP on channels being exclusive to blackberries. I would, however, like to see 2-3 features that WOULD be exclusive to blackberries. Something like music stream share or on screen video chat emoticons

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 12:27 PM
    No no no. Have BBM full features available for every platform and device.

Look, the market is saturated with device options that would satisfy just about anyone needs. No one is going to get a BlackBerry just for a full featured BBM. Think realistic people.

Channels, video, and all needs to be available for everyone.

#postedwithaz10
    05-30-13 06:33 AM
    I for one, wouldn't like that...Why should Iphone or Android users be deprived of my beautiful Allison Stokke photo channel?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 06:56 AM
    BBM needs to be great on all platforms. Otherwise we won't have enough reasons for those folks to switch.

They'll just say that Skype or WhatsApp is good enough.

Chnanels makes BBM unique.

~STV
    05-30-13 07:54 AM
    You must really hate BlackBerry channels to propose a plan that will render it dead.
    BBM channels needs as many people as possible for it to work. BBM channels needs to be cross platform or it will go the way of bbm music

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 10:14 AM
    Wow do u people not get what I'm saying. BBM channels should be done from the Web browser on iphone and Android. If u want it connected to your BBM then u need a BlackBerry. Also people are forgetting that if BBM is not on Windows then why would I delete whatapp??? BBM needs to be on EVERY Platform to be a success. I know 1 or 2 people using windows and that's a good enough reason not to delete whatsapp. Also I never said iphone and Android would not be able to see your channel its just that it would be an extra step to use channels on other devices if you did not have a BlackBerry. They need to think this through so people have a reason to test this bad boi out and not just use an iphone or Android. THAT'S All Folks lol

05-31-13 12:04 PM
    Exclusivity is partially what got BlackBerry into the sorry mess they were in. A phone by its very nature is about inclusivity and sharing.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 04:02 PM
    Wow do u people not get what I'm saying. BBM channels should be done from the Web browser on iphone and Android. If u want it connected to your BBM then u need a BlackBerry.
    So merely "channels" not "BBM channels". Yeauh, that would be a huge success. 99% of iPhone/Android users have no idea BBM is going cross platform, probably 99% of those don't really care either way. For it to be a success RIM have to make it as attractive as possible. Limiting it's functionality and telling users to use the "browser" isn't really the way to make it attractive. It's actually more akin to the Z10 experience "no app for that, use the browser". People don't want that anymore!...

Why is it important that BBM be attractive to as many users as possible? I believe it's channels. Channels could prove to be a significant source of advertising revenue to RIM is the audience if large enough, which it won't be if people are told to "use the browser"...
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-03-13 at 08:11 AM.
    06-03-13 07:30 AM
    That would defeat the purpose

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    06-03-13 07:53 AM
    It will not work...why would anyone provide free content if it's audiences is limited...it needs to be available to all if it needs to thrive.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 08:17 AM

Because no one will switch for channels.
    06-03-13 10:18 AM
    This feature is already on Flip board anyway. My brother has been bragging for the last 5 days about his magazine subscriptions. His (channel)
    06-03-13 12:28 PM
26 12