So, I have been noticing lately that quite a few of the same posts keep popping up, day after day, about "newbie" questions. The two most common seem to be the Pearl vs Curve and Oh-My-God-My-Txts-and-Call-Logs-Are-Deleting! And there always seems to be at least one CB veteran that responds with the same response (I know I do most of the time) -- read the FAQ, search the forums, etc. However, this doesn't seem to work. People still posts these same threads time and time again without doing a search or reading the FAQ section. And I know it seems to be irritating some of you vets.

That being said, wouldn't it be nice if there were a sticky addressing these topics? Or at least the call log disappearing topic, as this seems to be the most prevalent..?

Just a thought.
    06-02-08 02:43 PM
    Studies suggest this type of poster does not read or even see pinned topics.

Just kidding. Actually, if nobody posted these easy questions, then how would we ever become Crackberry.com a Genius?

Personally, I don't mind answering a newbie question. I know how excited I was to get started when I got my Berry.

Might be an idea though since maybe that info is berry'ed (sic) a bit in the FAQ.
    06-02-08 02:55 PM
    I don't mind responding, either, BUT... wouldn't it make it a lot easier if the answers were right there at the top of the forums?
    06-02-08 02:57 PM
    Even if there was a sticky...they would still post without knowing there was a sticky
    06-02-08 02:59 PM
    I think limiting a user's ability to post before reading such Stickied posts should be an option.
    06-02-08 02:59 PM
    I think limiting a user's ability to post before reading such Stickied posts should be an option.
    Truth be told... I would definitely second this notion.
    06-02-08 03:01 PM
    I agree with both of you.
    Yeah jenay it is annoying to see the P vs C, or when is 4.5 coming out, etc.. and although I know there are times it does not help, I find just answering the question easier and hope the poster moves on and discovers search and the FAQ's

But as Patrick says some of these folks are never going to read the stickies, or do a search. Last week there was one that I swear, every time he had a thought created a thread.

I have tried really hard to avoid posting "search the forums" or "read this" but lately it is getting much much harder. I just don't want to scare off newbs or make them think there is a CB version of thread police.
    06-02-08 03:04 PM
    I have tried really hard to avoid posting "search the forums" or "read this".
    Number One reason why Sunkast has such a high post count.
    06-02-08 03:06 PM
    Hah... Thread Police...

I agree I don't want newbies to think anyone here is rude, but it is definitely getting hard to type the same thing over and over. (ie your memoury is low thats why your **** is getting deleted from your phone! read the links!)

And I believe I know who you're talking about who created a new thread every single time a word popped into his head.

(have to laugh at the sunkast post, civic )
    06-02-08 03:09 PM
    I always asked when OS 4.5 is coming out, just not on here. I call T-mo all the time for different reasons and I always ask when 4.5 will be out.
    06-02-08 03:10 PM
    The reason why I like this board is b/c people are friendly and I really hate to see ppl high up on their make believe pedestals beating others up. Simply ignore the threads your not interested in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 03:59 PM
    So, I have been noticing lately that quite a few of the same posts keep popping up, day after day, about "newbie" questions. The two most common seem to be the Pearl vs Curve and Oh-My-God-My-Txts-and-Call-Logs-Are-Deleting! And there always seems to be at least one CB veteran that responds with the same response (I know I do most of the time) -- read the FAQ, search the forums, etc. However, this doesn't seem to work. People still posts these same threads time and time again without doing a search or reading the FAQ section. And I know it seems to be irritating some of you vets.

That being said, wouldn't it be nice if there were a sticky addressing these topics? Or at least the call log disappearing topic, as this seems to be the most prevalent..?

Just a thought.
    I guess my question would be what denotes someone a CB vet?
    06-02-08 04:04 PM
    Everybody has to start somewhere. If you ask me there is no such thing as a dumb question.
    06-02-08 04:07 PM
    The reason why I like this board is b/c people are friendly and I really hate to see ppl high up on their make believe pedestals beating others up. Simply ignore the threads your not interested in.

Uhh.... Where do I start?

First of all, if you read all the posts in this thread, I believe we specifically address the issue that we don't want newbies to feel like we're being rude. Secondly, no one is "beating" anyone up or standing on a "pedestal." You are pretty new to CB (23 posts) and there is nothing wrong with that - in fact, there is nothing wrong with ANYONE being new to this board. However, in your lack of time on the good old Crack, haven't seen and tried to answer a million of the same posts every single day which, frankly, wouldn't even need to be posted, had the OP simply read through the FAQ or searched the forums. Why do you think the FAQ section is there? Why do you think the Search Function is available on this site? To avoid duplicate posts. Go read the posting rules. There is even a rule "against" posting duplicate and cross threads.

So, in the future, when responding to threads... Please do NOT accuse people of things until you have dont your research and have absolute steady ground to do so.
    06-02-08 04:08 PM
    I'm very new to the site and my BB but I haven't found anyone here to be anything less than gracious and helpful.

I have been lost on a few topics but with searches and a few repeated inquires to the same old topics I seem to be getting the hang of things. (cept the messenger lol) but I'm working on it. I spent a good day here over the weekend and have learned so much!! I have visited other forums so I know about stickys but I still have to do some indepth searches on other things mainly cause they get explained differently and I can be a little directionally challenged.
    06-02-08 04:09 PM
    Everybody has to start somewhere. If you ask me there is no such thing as a dumb question.
    No one ever said any question was "dumb," just that they are repeatedly asked.
    06-02-08 04:11 PM
    You are right but that's not the point.
    Pearl vs Curve wasn't dumb the fist time it got asked, nor was it the 25th.

The point is that if folks would just take a little initiative this forum would not be clogged with so many "asked and answered already" threads and would, dare I say be more useful to all. Simple as that.
    06-02-08 04:13 PM
    Let's not get a battle brewing here - there is definitely 2 sides to this coin. The search option is great, but if you don't put in the exact wording you get all kinds of results, or none at all. It is a forum, and as such, questions will be asked. sometimes repeatedly. It's not a huge deal, and I'm always glad to answer the ones I know - even if it's just a link to an existing thread. Repeat questions are never going to be eliminated from a help forum, and I personally feel that it's okay. You just get to meet and help more people that way....
    06-02-08 04:16 PM
    You are right but that's not the point.
    Pearl vs Curve wasn't dumb the fist time it got asked, nor was it the 25th.

The point is that if folks would just take a little initiative this forum would not be clogged with so many "asked and answered already" threads and would, dare I say be more useful to all. Simple as that.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    06-02-08 04:16 PM
    I agree that is is bothersome to look at the "new posts" and the majority be the same "my stuff deleted" but I believe also that these people are so excited about having a berry and finding the PERFECT site for all there questions they just ask. Later after reading around and maybe finding the FAQs and Stickys they'll know more to help others. I think that if we, who know the answer, just answer they'll feel better about returning as opposed to seeing do a search... or there is already a thread on this.... that's been talked about... bla bla you get the point.
    but it would be nice to like have to read the FAQs to activate the account but then, who will really read it? I wouldn't.. sorry
    06-02-08 04:27 PM
    I agree JRSC. Good idea.

06-02-08 04:34 PM
    I will take other side of the issue. I am thrilled to find a new poster asking the same old questions. In particular, what happened to my ???.

First question, how did you find CrackBerry? Google of course, every BlackBerry related question will feature CrackBerry near the top.

If we look at the traffic results, we see nearly 2/3 of the traffic is passerby. That means a lot of people are finding the site and finding the answers they need.

Does it seem like we are seeing a lot of new posters? RIM has forecast 2.3 million new subscribers this quarter, about 25,000 a day.

The very few that take the time to register and post a forum question are entitled to a cheery response. We may have seen it a hundred times, but it is new and having a serious impact on them.

This is also the reservoir of new members that will continue to build and enrich this site.

You never know what the next newcomer will bring to the table.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-02-08 at 04:42 PM.
    06-02-08 04:39 PM
    For me, searching the forms takes too much time. I also like hearing new responses and not just search. But those questions should be sticky.

06-02-08 04:40 PM
    Stoner - a very valid point. And backed up with pie charts and stats, to boot!
    06-02-08 04:41 PM
    Being an Accountant, I don't trust anybody with readily available pie charts

I get your point.
    06-02-08 04:45 PM
160 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD