OK first you say you keep hearing about whatsapp on cb...then right after that you say that you have never ever heard one person talk about whatsapp? Make up yet ur mind lol. Do you mean out of your immediate circle of friends? Here'sa an idea . Download whatsapp. Enter your phone number. Then see how many of your contacts come up as whatsapp users.
    Don't be silly Penguin.

Anyone who does that would get facts that would conflict with preconceived conclusions.

Some folks don't do empiricism.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-22-13 at 08:43 AM.
    pantlesspenguin and Rello like this.
    01-22-13 08:29 AM
    Exactly! Siri was nothing but a gimmick, Facetime was a gimmick, now apparently being able to run 2 apps at the same time (ala Note 2) is a gimmick. Everything's a gimmick or a toy until it comes to BB, then it's the second coming and "ZOMG GREATEST THING EVAR!"
    These are all great features and I want them all.

In regards to multi-tasking:

You have made several false statements about the usability/existance of multi-tasking on the Playbook in other threads and you are wrong. For basically two years we have been able to record video and then move to other apps all the while the video continues to record. This is a "useable" form of multi-tasking and been around far longer than this new and improved (if infact it can perform this very specific example because I don't want to have to browse the web or type out the critical points of the seminar on only half a screen) version that Samsung has released.

Secondly, I have WhatsApp Messenger on my 9810 so clearly BB has WhatsApp. BB10 may or may not have it at release and if it is missing it is a loss for sure.
    01-22-13 08:46 AM
    These are all great features and I want them all.

In regards to multi-tasking:

You have made several false statements about the usability/existance of multi-tasking on the Playbook in other threads and you are wrong. For basically two years we have been able to record video and then move to other apps all the while the video continues to record. This is a "useable" form of multi-tasking and been around far longer than this new and improved (if infact it can perform this very specific example because I don't want to have to browse the web or type out the critical points of the seminar on only half a screen) version that Samsung has released.

Secondly, I have WhatsApp Messenger on my 9810 so clearly BB has WhatsApp. BB10 may or may not have it at release and if it is missing it is a loss for sure.
    Ummm..that's one example of multitasking on the PB, and a very poor one at that. Who records a video and browses the web at the same time? Or records a video and plays a game at the same time? What kind of multitasking WOULD be useful? Browsing the web and making notes in a seperate app, at the same time. Browsing the web and messaging someone at the same time, or even listening to a Youtube playlist while browsing,emailing,messaging,playing a game,doing spreadsheets etc at the same time.

I never said the PB doesn't multitask. I said it's level of multitasking isn't on par with whats available right now (namely from Samsung). You CAN NOT watch a video and email or edit pdf's at the same time on a PB (without being connected to HDMI out).
    Last edited by Rickroller; 01-22-13 at 09:59 AM.
    01-22-13 09:33 AM
    Why can't someone crosscompile Wazapp (from Wazapp | Because Meego and Maemo are great platforms!) for BB10? It's great on the Nokia N9, native, and thanks to Qt it should integrate fine into the messaging hub...
    01-22-13 09:51 AM
    whatsapp will be on bb10. maybe not from the start but it will be there.

whatsapp became big as a messenger over all platforms. the moment it cuts out a platform that is likely to have around 70 million, not only does it directly lose that many subscibers, it immediately becomes useless to the friends of said 70mill on supported platforms, who will then have to get an alternative to speak to their bb10 friends.
    whatsapp not coming to bb10 will be worse for whatsapp then bb10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-22-13 10:04 AM
    Please don't tell me we're going to see strikes, threads, petitions & suicides to get Whatsapp for BB10 the way people went all emotional for Skype, we all know how well that went down don't we (for the playbook).
    01-22-13 10:12 AM
    OK first you say you keep hearing about whatsapp on cb...then right after that you say that you have never ever heard one person talk about whatsapp? Make up yet ur mind lol. Do you mean out of your immediate circle of friends? Here'sa an idea . Download whatsapp. Enter your phone number. Then see how many of your contacts come up as whatsapp users.
    Nope, that would make wayyyyy too much sense lol. Apparently, its easier to just defend RIM by calling others idiots for trying it since there are so many other alternatives out there
    pantlesspenguin and ccbs like this.
    01-22-13 10:14 AM
    I am not trying to imply hypocrisy. I am stating it outright. Just like I'll be sitting with a cup of coffee when all the long held arguments about features that had been deemed irrelevant and unnecessary suddenly become RIM's gift to humanity.
    Typical misrepresentation of people's comments, there is nothing at all wrong or hypocritical with people putting a higher priority on certain features and still liking other new features when they can finally get them without having to compromise on their higher priority features.

Like Viki. Whether its third party or not is beside the point to my argument. I am talking about the people who deemed something absolutely unnecessary and who will suddenly deem it to be something they can't live without, simply because RIM sudddenly catches up and puts it on BB10.
    It is not besides the point at all, the biggest issue with Siri beyond it working very poorly in the real world for most people is that it was hyped up as some major invention by apple when it was merely an expansion on previous voice control systems, whereas that viki thing is merely a 3rd party app that is trying to take advantage of the bb10 launch to get some attention and not something that rim themselves are going to be hyping up as magical or revolutionary.
    npisano likes this.
    01-22-13 10:56 AM
    Lol u make these companies sound like they're run by a bunch of 5 year olds

RIM isn't going to get mad because whatsapp isn't on the platform a day let that anger determine if they release bbm on another platform. I truly hope it's there at launch but even at this point, I don't think releasing bbm on all platforms would kill whatsapp
    Lol, aren't they? Apple and Samsung would suggest otherwise
    Rello likes this.
    01-22-13 11:05 AM
    If WhatsApp doesn't support BlackBerry 10, somebody else will. I think Viber is ready to support Blackberry 10 at launch.
    BlackBerry 10 users will simply ask their non BlackBerry friends to download Viber and then Viber will become the king and WhatsApp will lose the opportunity.

The only way WhatsApp can win by not supporting BlackBerry 10 is if ALL other cross-platform messengers also decided to not support BlackBerry 10. But we already know that (at least) Viber is going to be available at launch. So, if WhatsApp doesn't support BB 10, it's going to be their loss.

Yes, I know, people don't generally want to download unproven apps. But I am sure I can persuade my non BlackBerry friends (with very little effort) to download Viber (if WhatsApp is not available)
    BB12MX likes this.
    01-22-13 11:20 AM
    It may not be hypocrisy for many. Many people may deem the overall BlackBerry experience, BBM, security, International traveling advantages, etc. that a BlackBerry has provided higher than what the competition currently provides, and if RIM can still provide what they did, and can add features that other platforms have excelled at, those people would still consider a BB10 BlackBerry to be a superior device for their needs, just as BBOS is still a superior device for their needs. I know that I use a BlackBerry not because of loyalty to RIM, but simply because it is the best, single device that meets my personal requirements, and I'm not going to carry a utility belt or murse to carry around a ton of different hardware. Adding in robust app, web and media support that rivals, and has the potential to exceed the competition to the existing BlackBerry experience will just solidify this for me as it adds gravy while covering my priorities. So when people make statements like they don't need/use it, so it isn't important, that is true at least for them over what they have for their requirements. Sure their are die hard fans that will defend RIM no matter what, but I'm sure the die hard trolls will slam RIM no matter how great the new phones and software is.

Personally I won't download Whatsapp even if available, but I'd like to see it as an available option for those who need/want it. If the voice assistant works great, I'll likely start using it as I will no longer have a physical keyboard to use while driving (I know evil txt'ing driver). Probably even start playing some games on the phone, and if Nike+ is available and works with the GPS I'll start using that too. I know it won't be the first phone to have these apps/features, but it should be the first to have these apps/features, while still meeting the requirements that I have for a single device, and that will personally excite me, and probably a lot of people here at CrackBerry.
    npisano likes this.
    01-22-13 11:58 AM
    If WhatsApp doesn't support BlackBerry 10, somebody else will. I think Viber is ready to support Blackberry 10 at launch.
    BlackBerry 10 users will simply ask their non BlackBerry friends to download Viber and then Viber will become the king and WhatsApp will lose the opportunity.
    You keep saying this like it's no big deal. You expect just because Whatsapp isn't available, that now all 45 of my contacts should download something different just because it's not available to me? Lol. That's a ridiculous notion and for most people it's NOT an option.
    01-22-13 12:06 PM
    It is not besides the point at all, the biggest issue with Siri beyond it working very poorly in the real world for most people is that it was hyped up as some major invention by apple when it was merely an expansion on previous voice control systems, whereas that viki thing is merely a 3rd party app that is trying to take advantage of the bb10 launch to get some attention and not something that rim themselves are going to be hyping up as magical or revolutionary.
    Much like the BB10 keyboard has been hyped as some magical RIM invention, when it is fact, just an "expansion on a previous" keyboard?
    01-22-13 12:08 PM
    lol...you guys still talking about what'swhos app?
    BNN Video Player
    01-22-13 12:15 PM
    You keep saying this like it's no big deal. You expect just because Whatsapp isn't available, that now all 45 of my contacts should download something different just because it's not available to me? Lol. That's a ridiculous notion and for most people it's NOT an option.
    You may not realize but some of 45 of your contacts may already have some other messenger installed (in addition to WhatsApp). Eg: Viber, Kik, Skype etc.

Besides, what I am saying is this: if WhatsApp doesn't support BlackBerry 10 at launch and somebody else (eg: Viber, Kik) does then it would not be too hard for me to convince my WhatsApp friends to download Viber. Some may already have it, some may download it and some may refuse to download it. But the net effect is that quite a few would become available on this other messenger (Viber, using Viber just as an example here). So, WhatsApp will lose customers/users.

The whole point of having a cross-platform messenger is that it should be cross-platform. If WhatsApp ignores BlackBerry 10, somebody else will take its place (we already know Viber will be ready).

Of course, I want WhatsApp to be available on BlackBerry 10 at launch. But if it isn't available, it's going to be WhatsApp's loss as much as it's going to be ours (users's).
    01-22-13 12:27 PM
    Don't you remember that before whatsapp you use to say "BBM me" and SMS wasn't even used ?

The issue with Whatsapp is that you have to give your NUMBER to add a contact. To give your BBM pin you don't have to reveal your phone number, is still a matter of security, and i think people would go BBM and forget about whatsapp. Is as simply as downloading an app, sharing it with your friends and before you know it, its viral.

In reply to whom said that would be childish to make a decision on a rage attack, don't miss my point. I'm just saying that BBM is the best instant messaging app ever created, and Whatsapp inc. shouldn't be pretending to be the hotshots cause if the case was that BBM would go cross platform, they'd be history i bet.

In reply to whom said that BBM it's RIM's unique selling point, i think that BB10 is about a lot more than just a messaging app right now.

Cheers !!
    npisano likes this.
    01-22-13 12:53 PM
    what is the point of your friends having whatsapp if they cant message all their friends?

Whatsapp is top of the pile because of the service it provides across all platforms. cut that out and it will soon be replaced.

Thats why whatsapp will appear on BB10.

They're probably just waiting for release
    01-22-13 01:13 PM
    If the voice assistant works great, I'll likely start using it as I will no longer have a physical keyboard to use while driving (I know evil txt'ing driver).
    If the Swiftkey keyboard is similiar to Androids (which i'm guessing it is) you'll be able to Talk to Text right in the application itself, so no need for an "Assistant" for that.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-22-13 01:32 PM
    The issue with Whatsapp is that you have to give your NUMBER to add a contact.
    So how do people text each other unless they have their NUMBER already? If you're comfortable enough with someone to give them your number as you would for texting, then Whatsapp is no different in that regards. Yes, BBM is nice because you don't have to give out your number, but Whatsapp is just a much better alternative to SMS.
    pantlesspenguin and Rello like this.
    01-22-13 01:36 PM
    So how do people text each other unless they have their NUMBER already? If you're comfortable enough with someone to give them your number as you would for texting, then Whatsapp is no different in that regards. Yes, BBM is nice because you don't have to give out your number, but Whatsapp is just a much better alternative to SMS.
    That's what I was thinking. Whatsapp is used among more intimate friends/colleagues, whereas bbm contacts don't need to know your number. Of course that's not to say that you *can't* have personal friends, colleagues, etc on your bbm list as well, especially for secure communications. But I'm sure no one would go around posting their phone number like they do in bbm pin sharing threads.
    01-22-13 02:27 PM
    As an android user with needs to communicate with friends and family oversea, I have seen enough usage and realize the potent of Whatsapp as a replacement of SMS.
    Whatsapp has pretty much replaced BBM as the messaging app of choice outside the BB and Canadian market. It is very difficult to reverse the trend. With the proliferation of low cost Android devices, it will soon erode the low cost BB market in Africa, India and Indonesia. RIMM will have a difficult time to get any takers even if they make their BBM cross platform. Total active BBM users has certainly reach their peak and will only go down from now on. I expect in one to two years the trend will likely be using Whatsapp as the de factor message app, with Facebook as backup for those friends who don't have Whatsapp.
    01-22-13 03:07 PM
    Whatsapp is about to start charging a suvscription fee. I'm not paying and neither are my contacts. I'm shur they know this is a death sentance for them. But its a quik way of cashing out and saying cya later. Even if half there subscribers pay 1$ that's a quik 30million in the pocket.
    01-22-13 03:28 PM
    OR... whatsapp can just change their minds once they see that BB10 rocks and people are buying the phones...
    01-22-13 04:18 PM
    lol...you guys still talking about what'swhos app?
    BNN Video Player
    Was there a point to that video? Are u assuming people here are saying RIM is doomed if RIM doesn't have whatsapp cause that's not what anyone is discussing in this thread...
    01-22-13 05:49 PM
    Lol, aren't they? Apple and Samsung would suggest otherwise
    U may be onto something lol...
    01-22-13 05:51 PM
158 1234 ...