I see your point and don't think that you are wrong.

What I meant is when you compare iOS, Android and BB10 really side-by-side.
    OS10 is the most 'private' one.
    Ok, iOS might be at a close level - but they don't have that app permission thing as OS10 has.
    Also it doesn't handle multitasking as good.

Android might be the most customizable one, but that also makes it the most "unsecure" one.

I don't know if other Android phone makers don't care or won't invest in Android's security - but what BlackBerry has done is the best thing what has been there yet.
    So I think BlackBerry's engineering does not have to hide.

But as I wrote, they made lots of wrong decisions to be in that position now.

Posted via CB10
    IPhone has app permission.
    11-16-16 04:08 AM
    IPhone has app permission.
    So? Can you set all those permissions on iOS?:

Just saw Mr. Mobile's latest video... [Idol 4s]-img_20161116_114523.png

Just saw Mr. Mobile's latest video... [Idol 4s]-img_20161116_114532.png

I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 04:52 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161116_114523.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	412297

Name:	IMG_20161116_114532.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	412298

I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and it more complete than bb10
    11-16-16 05:14 AM

Name:	IMG_20161116_114523.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	412297

Name:	IMG_20161116_114532.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	412298

I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah it does
    Just saw Mr. Mobile's latest video... [Idol 4s]-ximg_54fe6c8f26a82.png.pagespeed.gp-jp-jw-pj-js-rj-rp-rw-ri-cp-md.ic.a6ydtvralr.pngJust saw Mr. Mobile's latest video... [Idol 4s]-img_2993.jpg
    11-16-16 06:53 AM
    Although Windows is a small operating system, Blackberry is even smaller. Where i live practically no one knows about Blackberry or their OS but some knows about Windows. Cell phones with Windows is represented in stores but there is no Blackberry in sight.
    11-16-16 07:37 AM
    Yeah it does

Name:	ximg_54fe6c8f26a82.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.a6YDtVrALr.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	412304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2993.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	412305
    What about Device Identifying Information and My Contact Info equivalents?
    11-16-16 12:20 PM
    I don't use an iPhone so I'm not certain. It may though.
    11-16-16 01:00 PM
    Or e-mail?
    Or SMS?
    Or Phone?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 02:33 PM
    Or e-mail?
    Or SMS?
    Or Phone?

Posted via CB10
    It's there for those as well as the camera, the fingerprint sensor. My friend has an iPhone 6s. I believe even there's even permissions for the camera flash so certain apps can use it as a notification light.
    11-16-16 04:04 PM
    What is BB?
    11-16-16 06:43 PM
    It's there for those as well as the camera, the fingerprint sensor. My friend has an iPhone 6s. I believe even there's even permissions for the camera flash so certain apps can use it as a notification light.

Can you or anyone show that for WhatsApp (as I shown from my Passport)?
    Because, I'm sure it's not possible to set permissions/restrictions for:
    E-Mail access, SMS access, Phone(log) info, ID info, my contact info.

Many people say you can set this, but I have never seen were you can set it.
    I'd really appreciate screenshots of that!
    Thank you!
    11-17-16 08:34 AM
    Can you or anyone show that for WhatsApp (as I shown from my Passport)?
    Because, I'm sure it's not possible to set permissions/restrictions for:
    E-Mail access, SMS access, Phone(log) info, ID info, my contact info.

Many people say you can set this, but I have never seen were you can set it.
    I'd really appreciate screenshots of that!
    Thank you!
    These are the screenshots I had my friend send me. When you select contacts or microphone for instance it then gives the list of apps that have access. You can then turn it on and off for them.

I've also attached for my priv as well. It works the other way around. Settings >Apps > App > Permissions > turn on and off
    Just saw Mr. Mobile's latest video... [Idol 4s]-img-20161117-wa0001.jpgJust saw Mr. Mobile's latest video... [Idol 4s]-img-20161117-wa0003.jpgJust saw Mr. Mobile's latest video... [Idol 4s]-screenshot_20161117-110619.png
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-17-16 11:31 AM
    These are the screenshots I had my friend send me. When you select contacts or microphone for instance it then gives the list of apps that have access. You can then turn it on and off for them.

I've also attached for my priv as well. It works the other way around. Settings >Apps > App > Permissions > turn on and off

Name:	IMG-20161117-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	412393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161117-WA0003.jpg 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	412394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20161117-110619.png 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	412402
    Thank you for that screen shots!
    With the current version of Android - you are able to set those things.
    But still - it's not monitored what Google gets and that's probably everything on it.

And to iOS, you have some settings for permissions - but that's not the amount of OS10 or Android.
    For example: WhatsApp - a very data hungry app - those things like e-mail, SMS etc. (what I mentioned above) are still missing.

Which makes Android more private when it comes to apps - but least private when it comes to the OS itself.
    iOS is the more private OS - but when it comes to apps, it's worse in privacy.

OS10 has both of both worlds.
    That's what I meant.
    11-17-16 12:02 PM
    Thank you for that screen shots!
    With the current version of Android - you are able to set those things.
    But still - it's not monitored what Google gets and that's probably everything on it.

And to iOS, you have some settings for permissions - but that's not the amount of OS10 or Android.
    For example: WhatsApp - a very data hungry app - those things like e-mail, SMS etc. (what I mentioned above) are still missing.

Which makes Android more private when it comes to apps - but least private when it comes to the OS itself.
    iOS is the more private OS - but when it comes to apps, it's worse in privacy.

OS10 has both of both worlds.
    That's what I meant.
    I get your point. Data is what the apps need to work properly though. With whatsapp for instance once I start turning off permissions the functions start breaking. As for Google having access to everything, there stated reason is good enough for me and I see the benefits. I understand that's not the case for others.
    11-17-16 12:12 PM
    I get your point. Data is what the apps need to work properly though. With whatsapp for instance once I start turning off permissions the functions start breaking. As for Google having access to everything, there stated reason is good enough for me and I see the benefits. I understand that's not the case for others.
    You are right. Some data is used to make it run properly.
    But that does not include data like:
    - scanning my private/business e-mails and text messages,
    - personal contact informations,
    - phone data (log data, duration etc.),

further thats, what this week came up when you use die iCloud:

"A Russian security firm is casting doubt on just how big of an ally Apple is when it comes to consumer privacy. In a new report, the company alleges that Apple’s iCloud retains the entire call history of every iPhone for as long as four months, making it an easy target for law enforcement and surveillance.

The firm, Elcomsoft, discovered that as long as a user has iCloud enabled, their call history is synced and stored. The log includes phone numbers, dates and durations of the calls, and even missed calls, but the log doesn’t stop there; FaceTime call logs, as well as calls from apps that utilize the “Call History” feature, such as Facebook and WhatsApp, are also stored."

Lot of things BlackBerry OS10 users don't have to worry about.
    11-17-16 12:23 PM
    The Windows 10 mobile / tiled UI just screams 'hideous'.

What demographic finds large luminous squares to be aesthetically pleasing? People on LSD?
    11-17-16 12:25 PM
    I manage a multi million dollar enterprise software portfolio for a large software company. As part of the portfolio we create mobile apps for enduser access. Microsoft is still actively developing Windows 10, to what end we can't tell. We had some support for Windows 8.1 mobile. Win 10 mobile has never gotten off our wait and see list. Unless something changes drastically we will not support Win 10 Mobile, and soon stop supporting our older apps.

We had one product that supported BB10. With our new App we were told to concentrate on Android. Which is good because we were not going to update the BB10 app to support our release.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting that Win Phone is successful - a simple look at its marketshare numbers reveals the truth of that - but MS is nevertheless still actively developing it, if for R&D reasons only. And since they're already doing development, they're happy to license it out to OEMs who will build phones for it (I suspect there are even subsidies paid by MS to those OEMs to do so). And, so, by that definition, it's not "officially" dead.

But neither is that enough for more than a handful of users to buy Win Phone, nor for more than a handful of developers to keep spending money supporting it with app development. In that respect, it's definitely dead.
    Assuming Win 10 adoption can hit 1B devices in the next 2-3 years as Microsoft is hoping, coupled with the ability to write a universal app that can run on any Win 10 device, do either of you see devs becoming more interested in the platform?

I personally do. It's too large of a market to ignore. From a consumer perspective we see one example in Instaram as they have recently made their Win 10 app available to desktop and laptop users. I can see this happening more with other consumer apps. And from an enterprise perspective, when you consider how successful the iPad has been, you have to wonder why Win 10 can't be as successful. I'm sure a lot of folks would love to carry around one slim convertible laptop that has all of their apps instead of a laptop and iPad. I know I would.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-17-16 02:59 PM

What demographic finds large luminous squares to be aesthetically pleasing? People on LSD?
    I actually don't mind it. Something different in a sea of app icons. And I believe the size of the live tiles are also customizable. If there are any black Friday deals on a Lumia 650 I will definitely pick one up just to play with.
    11-17-16 03:10 PM
    The problem is that "Universal Apps" really aren't that universal. There are lots of desktop apps that need lots of fine control and have many layers of menus (Photoshop, Video apps, 3D apps, etc.), and even apps like Excel that are strongly mouse-driven would need quite a bit of "reinterpreting" to be useful on mobile. Certainly simple apps make some sense, but for a whole lot of apps, the needs of the desktop and the needs of a small touch-based device are just so different that it really doesn't make that much sense. Plus, I have desktop apps that are several GB in size when installed - how are you going to deal with that on mobile?

I think the answer is: you aren't. "Universal Apps" will work for smaller, simple apps, but they won't bring a lot of more complex apps to mobile, because the work to make them compatible and efficient would be just as much as if they wrote a dedicated app in the first place - and if they aren't doing that already, then why bother to do with with a "Universal App" that almost no one will use on mobile? The market has already taught us that just because you build it doesn't mean that users (or developers) will come to your ecosystem. And developers aren't avoiding WinPhone because making the apps is too hard - they're avoiding it because making them simply isn't worth ANY level of effort - or having to support the app after launch. Without 100M or more users, devs aren't willing to invest their time that could be more profitably spent working on apps for iOS and Android.
    11-17-16 03:13 PM
    The problem is that "Universal Apps" really aren't that universal. There are lots of desktop apps that need lots of fine control and have many layers of menus (Photoshop, Video apps, 3D apps, etc.), and even apps like Excel that are strongly mouse-driven would need quite a bit of "reinterpreting" to be useful on mobile. Certainly simple apps make some sense, but for a whole lot of apps, the needs of the desktop and the needs of a small touch-based device are just so different that it really doesn't make that much sense. Plus, I have desktop apps that are several GB in size when installed - how are you going to deal with that on mobile?

I think the answer is: you aren't. "Universal Apps" will work for smaller, simple apps, but they won't bring a lot of more complex apps to mobile, because the work to make them compatible and efficient would be just as much as if they wrote a dedicated app in the first place - and if they aren't doing that already, then why bother to do with with a "Universal App" that almost no one will use on mobile? The market has already taught us that just because you build it doesn't mean that users (or developers) will come to your ecosystem. And developers aren't avoiding WinPhone because making the apps is too hard - they're avoiding it because making them simply isn't worth ANY level of effort - or having to support the app after launch. Without 100M or more users, devs aren't willing to invest their time that could be more profitably spent working on apps for iOS and Android.
    Agree with you completely on making native desktop apps universal. That just won't work. I was thinking more along the lines of native mobile apps like Snapchat that are still shunning Win 10. Would a market of 1B Win 10 devices be enough for them to finally support the platform with a universal app? Only they would know that but you have to think an install base that size would be attractive to them and other devs. And in enterprise, I was also thinking along the lines of devs porting their iPad apps over to Win 10.
    11-17-16 03:26 PM

They're not for everyone but live tiles can be great for productivity if used correctly. You can see detailed weather info, scores, recent messages, etc without opening an app or using a gesture.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-17-16 05:57 PM
    Agree with you completely on making native desktop apps universal. That just won't work. I was thinking more along the lines of native mobile apps like Snapchat that are still shunning Win 10. Would a market of 1B Win 10 devices be enough for them to finally support the platform with a universal app? Only they would know that but you have to think an install base that size would be attractive to them and other devs. And in enterprise, I was also thinking along the lines of devs porting their iPad apps over to Win 10.
    The problem is Win 10 Mobile is pretty much dead. Two OEMS are selling phones. Very doubtful Microsoft will ever release another phone. Microsoft's mobile strategy is to get their apps and services adopted on iOS and Android. Most of these now run better on these platforms than Win 10 Mobile. Microsoft has written off the entire Nokia purchase and more on their mobile strategy. Just a matter of time before they move on Completly. Don't expect an announcement from Microsoft, that is not their general practice. When they leave a market they just let their efforts fade away.
    11-17-16 06:19 PM
47 12