Hi friends!

Just saw Mr. Mobile's latest video to the:

Alcatel Idol 4s running Windows.

This actually is the hardware BlackBerry is using for the DTEK60.
    So it's running Windows, Alcatel and 'BlackBerry'.

But what is really interesting about it , that Michael Fisher pointed out that Windows Phone is OFFICIALLY a dead platform!
    (while BlackBerry10 is 'fully alive' - considering to BlackBerry)

Further Michael says that Windows mobile finally got official apps for Facebook, Instagram and Slack (skip to: 4:35).

There are 2 questions:

1.) how is Microsoft able to bring a 'dead' platform to that device?
    (while BlackBerry10 seems to be stranded)

and

2.) how does a dead platform finally get those official social media apps?

I mean BlackBerry even claimed that Facebook pulled the APIs away - so it wouldn't be possible for them to make their own apps for that.

What do you say and think about that????

Here is the link to that video:

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 02:16 PM
    Because Microsoft is still actively developing Win 10 Mobile and has drivers for the latest hardware. Microsoft will probably never release another phone, but they are Microsoft and they have several active OEMs.

BlackBerry would not only pay millions to get Qualcomm to develop the drivers they worth have to convince them it is worth the effort (opportunity cost). Just signing a small OEM would not be enough to get updated drivers.
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-13-16 02:30 PM
    Also, Alcatel is not a BlackBerry OEM. BlackBerry OEMS phones from them. This is a big difference. Alcatel sees opportunities with creating Windows 10 phones and assumes the risk. With BlackBerry Android phones, BlackBerry assumes the risk.
    Slash82 likes this.
    11-13-16 02:39 PM
    Because Microsoft is still actively developing Win 10 Mobile and has drivers for the latest hardware. Microsoft will probably never release another phone, but they are Microsoft and they have several active OEMs.

BlackBerry would not only pay millions to get Qualcomm to develop the drivers they worth have to convince them it is worth the effort (opportunity cost). Just signing a small OEM would not be enough to get updated drivers.
    So that means 'only' hardware is dead, but the platform itself is far away from 'maintenance status'?
    Because Michael pointed out (more than once) that it's a dead platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 02:45 PM
    So that means 'only' hardware is dead, but the platform itself is far away from 'maintenance status'?
    Because Michael pointed out (more than once) that it's a dead platform.
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to marketshare realities more than "is no longer being actively developed." Win Phone 10 is in fact being actively developed.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-13-16 04:36 PM
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to marketshare realities more than "is no longer being actively developed." Win Phone 10 is in fact being actively developed.
    I manage a multi million dollar enterprise software portfolio for a large software company. As part of the portfolio we create mobile apps for enduser access. Microsoft is still actively developing Windows 10, to what end we can't tell. We had some support for Windows 8.1 mobile. Win 10 mobile has never gotten off our wait and see list. Unless something changes drastically we will not support Win 10 Mobile, and soon stop supporting our older apps.

We had one product that supported BB10. With our new App we were told to concentrate on Android. Which is good because we were not going to update the BB10 app to support our release.
    11-13-16 05:15 PM
    I manage a multi million dollar enterprise software portfolio for a large software company. As part of the portfolio we create mobile apps for enduser access. Microsoft is still actively developing Windows 10, to what end we can't tell. We had some support for Windows 8.1 mobile. Win 10 mobile has never gotten off our wait and see list. Unless something changes drastically we will not support Win 10 Mobile, and soon stop supporting our older apps.

We had one product that supported BB10. With our new App we were told to concentrate on Android. Which is good because we were not going to update the BB10 app to support our release.
    Can you tell us what company, so the "loyalists" can boycott you?

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    DrBoomBotz and anon(2313227) like this.
    11-13-16 05:24 PM
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting that Win Phone is successful - a simple look at its marketshare numbers reveals the truth of that - but MS is nevertheless still actively developing it, if for R&D reasons only. And since they're already doing development, they're happy to license it out to OEMs who will build phones for it (I suspect there are even subsidies paid by MS to those OEMs to do so). And, so, by that definition, it's not "officially" dead.

But neither is that enough for more than a handful of users to buy Win Phone, nor for more than a handful of developers to keep spending money supporting it with app development. In that respect, it's definitely dead.
    11-13-16 06:36 PM
    Hi friends!

Just saw Mr. Mobile's latest video to the:

Alcatel Idol 4s running Windows.

This actually is the hardware BlackBerry is using for the DTEK60.
    So it's running Windows, Alcatel and 'BlackBerry'.

But what is really interesting about it , that Michael Fisher pointed out that Windows Phone is OFFICIALLY a dead platform!
    (while BlackBerry10 is 'fully alive' - considering to BlackBerry)

Further Michael says that Windows mobile finally got official apps for Facebook, Instagram and Slack (skip to: 4:35).

There are 2 questions:

1.) how is Microsoft able to bring a 'dead' platform to that device?
    (while BlackBerry10 seems to be stranded)

and

I mean BlackBerry even claimed that Facebook pulled the APIs away - so it wouldn't be possible for them to make their own apps for that.

Here is the link to that video:

Posted via CB10
    It is Michael Fisher's opinion windows 10 mobile is a dead platform. That is not official in any respect. As a matter of fact it is updated regularly. Must be news to Microsoft

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-13-16 09:52 PM
    Haha I saw that video a couple days ago. No love for that phone whatsoever.
    11-13-16 09:58 PM
    That's not dtek60 based on, dtek60 is based on TCL 950 with different screen

http://m.gsmarena.com/tcl_950_goes_o...news-20754.php
    11-13-16 10:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft has a heck of a lot more money then BlackBerry, so I assume they have a bit more leverage and can pay whatever it needs to get what they are looking for. Also, Microsoft must have the necessary tools since Facebook and the like all work in the Windows desktop/laptop environment. I don't know anything about Windows Mobile, but if the apps exist on Windows 7/8/10, then would it be a far stretch to get it working on Windows Mobile. I thought I remember reading that Windows Mobile was just an extension of the Windows OS for desktop/laptop. So wouldn't this make things easier for them?
    11-14-16 09:47 AM
    I don't get the contradictions in the review. They slammed the camera and the fingerprint reader, which by all accounts is hampered by poor software, then state "the software feels mighty fresh" when talking about the os....in any event as noted above the phone hardware is very similar, but ultimately different - as is the software.
    11-14-16 04:39 PM
    If nothing else, this shows how important the software running on a device is. BlackBerry's slightly different version performs better and has even more features than this device simply based on the software alone.
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    11-14-16 04:40 PM
    The apps running sluggish and sometimes crashing sounds like they're running on an Android Runtime similar to BB10...
    11-14-16 06:02 PM
    Had no idea WIndows phones were still around :O
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-14-16 06:47 PM
    Had no idea WIndows phones were still around :O
    And some people had no idea BB phone were still around
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-14-16 10:07 PM
    But if Microsoft is able to get those developers.
    BlackBerry also should be able to.
    Windows Mobile still runs like a sluggish beta.

Doesn't mind what lots of people think - OS10 still is light years advanced over Android, iOS and Windows Mobile!
    If BlackBerry can get those big developers in the boat and find some company to license OS10 - their way to the road of success will be there.

Having fully supported OS10 and Android with their security knowledge would be outstanding and putting others to shame!

Doesn't matter how often my temper drove me to some angry posts - but I still believe in their capabilities and engineering!

Posted via CB10
    srzjumper likes this.
    11-15-16 01:51 AM
    But if Microsoft is able to get those developers.
    BlackBerry also should be able to.
    Windows Mobile still runs like a sluggish beta.

Doesn't mind what lots of people think - OS10 still is light years advanced over Android, iOS and Windows Mobile!
    If BlackBerry can get those big developers in the boat and find some company to license OS10 - their way to the road of success will be there.

Having fully supported OS10 and Android with their security knowledge would be outstanding and putting others to shame!

Doesn't matter how often my temper drove me to some angry posts - but I still believe in their capabilities and engineering!

Posted via CB10
    If you don't understand the difference in influence Microsoft has with developers vs BlackBerry then there is not much we can say.

We develop mobile apps to support our enterprise software. BlackBerry does not even have a developer support group that promotes BB10. I can't share our discussions with BlackBerry, but after the last discussion we have dropped all support for BB10 and our focus is Android and iOS.
    DrBoomBotz and stlabrat like this.
    11-15-16 11:24 AM
    If you don't understand the difference in influence Microsoft has with developers vs BlackBerry then there is not much we can say.

We develop mobile apps to support our enterprise software. BlackBerry does not even have a developer support group that promotes BB10. I can't share our discussions with BlackBerry, but after the last discussion we have dropped all support for BB10 and our focus is Android and iOS.
    I'm not speaking about the influence - I'm speaking of it's potential.
    I know that Microsoft is a giant.

But still BlackBerry is in a niche that is unique to them and has a lot of potential for the future. "Cybersecurity" will become a big thing in the near future and they bring it to Android and with OS10 still have a great system for their own.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 12:12 PM
    I've been having this problem as well for the last video I tried to upload to my drive from my phone. I think I just solved the issue for me. In the Drive app on the phone, touch the menu button on the top left corner (the three horizontal lines), then touch the "Uploads" menu. From there, I found the video I wasn't able to see in my Drive on the website from my PC was listed as "Incomplete upload," or something along those lines. I hit the try again button and, after it uploaded, I was able to see it on my PC!
    11-15-16 02:57 PM
    I know that Microsoft is a giant.

But still BlackBerry is in a niche that is unique to them and has a lot of potential for the future. "Cybersecurity" will become a big thing in the near future and they bring it to Android and with OS10 still have a great system for their own.

Posted via CB10
    I guess it depends on how you look at it. I see Blackberry struggling to get BB10 certified with the US Government security. Apple and Samsung already have completed this certification. The FBI uses iPhones, many of my friends in the DOD have iPhones. The President now uses a NSA modified Android. Besides BlackBerry has already announced they are leaving the phone business. If a small Asian company decides to license BB10 I don't think that is going to be considered a major new security phone.
    11-15-16 05:57 PM
    I have potential to win Formula One this year - but for a thousand or more reasons, that's not gonna happen. Potential is meaningless unless that potential can be realized - and BB has been struggling to realize their potential for over a decade already, with their power and leverage in constant decline.

iOS and Android have equal or greater potential to be secure AND they are commercially successful, profitable, and backed by the most influential, wealthiest companies in the world who can afford to hire the very best managers and developers. Compared to that, BB10's potential is so tiny as to be insignificant. That's the "big picture" view, and the one that matters. Cherry-picking tiny niches where - in an alternate reality where BB does absolutely everything correctly and all their competitors blow it - BB10 still has some potential, is just generating false hope that some others will cling to, but which will only end up being worse for BB and for those in denial.

BB has the possibility of success in OTHER, non-consumer markets where the competition isn't so fierce and where their strengths with security and mobile connectivity are of higher value - which is why BB Radar exists. I'm sure BB has a team of people looking at other B2B/E2E applications for their technology and strengths, and it's quite possible that BB as a company will become a successful, profitable company again. That isn't going to happen in the smartphone-related field, though - that war was fought and decided years ago, and BB suffered mortal wounds in that war.
    Uzi likes this.
    11-15-16 06:11 PM
    I guess it depends on how you look at it. I see Blackberry struggling to get BB10 certified with the US Government security. Apple and Samsung already have completed this certification. The FBI uses iPhones, many of my friends in the DOD have iPhones. The President now uses a NSA modified Android. Besides BlackBerry has already announced they are leaving the phone business. If a small Asian company decides to license BB10 I don't think that is going to be considered a major new security phone.
    Yeah, you are right.
    I see it from the perspective what BB10 would be able "to do".
    I still see this OS way more advanced than the others and Apple & Apple are big players when it comes to "data dealing".
    Which is not really good from the point of security.

But it's a fact that BlackBerry is in that situation because of lots of wrong decisions....

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 03:08 AM
    I have potential to win Formula One this year - but for a thousand or more reasons, that's not gonna happen. Potential is meaningless unless that potential can be realized - and BB has been struggling to realize their potential for over a decade already, with their power and leverage in constant decline.

iOS and Android have equal or greater potential to be secure AND they are commercially successful, profitable, and backed by the most influential, wealthiest companies in the world who can afford to hire the very best managers and developers. Compared to that, BB10's potential is so tiny as to be insignificant. That's the "big picture" view, and the one that matters. Cherry-picking tiny niches where - in an alternate reality where BB does absolutely everything correctly and all their competitors blow it - BB10 still has some potential, is just generating false hope that some others will cling to, but which will only end up being worse for BB and for those in denial.

BB has the possibility of success in OTHER, non-consumer markets where the competition isn't so fierce and where their strengths with security and mobile connectivity are of higher value - which is why BB Radar exists. I'm sure BB has a team of people looking at other B2B/E2E applications for their technology and strengths, and it's quite possible that BB as a company will become a successful, profitable company again. That isn't going to happen in the smartphone-related field, though - that war was fought and decided years ago, and BB suffered mortal wounds in that war.
    I see your point and don't think that you are wrong.

What I meant is when you compare iOS, Android and BB10 really side-by-side.
    OS10 is the most 'private' one.
    Ok, iOS might be at a close level - but they don't have that app permission thing as OS10 has.
    Also it doesn't handle multitasking as good.

Android might be the most customizable one, but that also makes it the most "unsecure" one.

I don't know if other Android phone makers don't care or won't invest in Android's security - but what BlackBerry has done is the best thing what has been there yet.
    So I think BlackBerry's engineering does not have to hide.

But as I wrote, they made lots of wrong decisions to be in that position now.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 03:15 AM
47 12