So here we have a global CEO with all the charisma and foresight of a junior accountant.
    Pretty well sums it up.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 10:11 PM
    Wow! That was a fun read. It is obvious some of you guys have a hatred for Chen for things he couldn't control. We all wished bb10 succeeded but it didn't. The developers gave BlackBerry the middle finger because they were too little too late with bb10. Android and iOS had already cemented their place as the dominant platforms. I don't think Chen is perfect by an means but you guys have to understand business. He doesn't just make decisions to please us. That would be great if true but it isn't. Blackberry is still alive well past what many thought it would be. It's time to move on and look for another phone company to fulfill your needs if you feel blackberry can't do it. The world will keeps spinning life will go on.

"PKB"
    BlackBerry was able to make the same mistakes, again.
    That's why they failed.

Z10 & Q10 were the only innovations, they had with OS10.

Since then - they took the same hardware and wrapped it up in different boxes. I mean even when the Z10 came to market (2013!), it's hardware (chipset) was not the worlds most outstanding one.
    Then using the same thing until today, is just a joke!

-no new SDKs
    -no Android-Runtime update
    -BBM stands still
    -every week different news about OS10's future and not all the bad press came from blogs, even BlackBerry itself made that up.

Ok, then the Priv for 900 bucks?!
    From a company that can't tell you about it's future or roadmap for further than a week?

It's BlackBerry's fault alone.
    Tell me an another tech-fanbase that is that patient or understand for delays?

Then their "commitment" to OS10 - with no update, no new features and nothing for over a year?
    That's trolling at it's finest.
    And to be honest, OS10.3.3 is just "certificate update" - nothing more or less. That's why it has become a running joke!

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 03:20 AM
    The universe.
    Frustrating, isn't it?
    10-04-16 04:00 AM
    Well he continued BB10, Android.... he threw everything to the wind, with crap hardware.... same thing that killed BBOS devices, crap hardware.

Shocking Apple brought the first fingerprint reader to market and the security EXPERT Blackberry couldn't, still hasn't!
    And people buy it thinking fingerprint sensors are a secure measure to keep your data secure. Convenient yes, but not secure. Fingerprints can be lifted, and used all the same by a 3rd party. You can't change your fingerprint, but you can still change your password

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 07:22 AM
    BlackBerry was able to make the same mistakes, again.
    That's why they failed.

Z10 & Q10 were the only innovations, they had with OS10.

Since then - they took the same hardware and wrapped it up in different boxes. I mean even when the Z10 came to market (2013!), it's hardware (chipset) was not the worlds most outstanding one.
    Then using the same thing until today, is just a joke!

-no new SDKs
    -no Android-Runtime update
    -BBM stands still
    -every week different news about OS10's future and not all the bad press came from blogs, even BlackBerry itself made that up.

Ok, then the Priv for 900 bucks?!
    From a company that can't tell you about it's future or roadmap for further than a week?

Tell me an another tech-fanbase that is that patient or understand for delays?

Then their "commitment" to OS10 - with no update, no new features and nothing for over a year?
    That's trolling at it's finest.
    And to be honest, OS10.3.3 is just "certificate update" - nothing more or less. That's why it has become a running joke!

Posted via CB10
    Basically.

Imagine if they had released a 2gb playbook with bb10 instead of a 4g edition.

Imagine if they had released two form factors - one keyboard, one slab, and stuck with that.

Imagine if they hadn't stripped bbworld.

Imagine if they had advertised effectively.

Chen is guilty of a lack of vision and not understanding the marketplace in which his business operated. A case study in the Peter principle.

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    10-04-16 09:39 AM
    Basically.

Imagine if they had released two form factors - one keyboard, one slab, and stuck with that.

Chen is guilty of a lack of vision and not understanding the marketplace in which his business operated. A case study in the Peter principle.

Posted via CB10
    Imagine if the co-CEOs hadn't delayed and dragged their feet so that BB10 came out 6 years late to the party.
    10-04-16 10:58 AM
    Imagine if the co-CEOs hadn't delayed and dragged their feet so that BB10 came out 6 years late to the party.
    Ha!

"PKB"
    10-05-16 03:17 AM
    Basically.

Posted via CB10
    I really can underline what you wrote and I see it the same way!
    I think the Playbook could have been successful and when you - STILL - compare what it's capable of to the newest version of the iPad, the iPad looks like a toy.
    Just because multitaking alone.

As you wrote, if they kept yearly updates for existing device - it would be way better. I personally had my 3rd Z10 now.

First OS10 was kinda half-baked, that's why many people skipped it.
    Then from 10.3.1, it was usable - but the hardware totally outdated.

And people can say what they want about Mike Lazaridis, this guy was visionary and a engineering genuis!
    His fault was no being able to bring out his ideas - his board failed with that!

John Chen has no clue about that.
    He is only about software and numbers - maybe good with that as "Co-CEO" for financial thing, but not to be the mastermind behind that brand!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 03:37 AM
    I think the Playbook could have been successful
    Doubt it, the PlayBook didn't sell or review too well and that was when BlackBerry was still at their prime. A PlayBook 2 under a struggling BlackBerry that had left the consumer market might have sold even less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackB...tion_and_sales
    10-05-16 10:51 AM
    The Playbook operated really well after the OS update but the apps in BBW were terribly limited. The browser became a serious problem as well. The only advantage it had was the Bridge but it only worked with BlackBerry phones.

The app gap failure should have informed BlackBerry that they needed to run Android apps and have them available from BBW. The failure of the Playbook should have informed us all that it was too late for a third ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 12:01 PM
    The app gap failure should have informed BlackBerry that they needed to run Android apps and have them available from BBW. The failure of the Playbook should have informed us all that it was too late for a third ecosystem.
    And yet there were people who were saying that the Android Runtime on the PlayBook was what was stopping developers from creating native apps. They forget that the PlayBook didn't have many apps and BlackBerry tried to augment with the Runtime.

The failure of Windows Mobile is the lesson, as Microsoft poured a lot more resources in and still couldn't turn it around. It's a more definitive lesson. People can always say BlackBerry didn't try hard enough or have enough resources; not true with Microsoft.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-05-16 04:30 PM
    I think you sound a little bitter. We are all polarized at least in the US that there are the Winners brands and the Losers brands. I was amazed to see all the media hatred towards the BlackBerry brand, and it's a hard if not impossible thing to fight. I went to my carrier for my first smartphone because I finally had to get one. no working model of BlackBerry on display, and the carrier rep telling me I DON'T want to buy a BlackBerry, so I didn't. The Z10 I learned much later, had only been released three months previous.

People want there to be a loser to pounce on and cry, 'Loser, Loser, Loser!' Why all the anger that the phones still exist? People believe instead of a secure logical device you need a button to push for everything. They succeeded in getting most people away from even using computers to get online anymore. They've got people staring into their phones TEXTING instead of talking to each other, using acronyms and gifs instead of real English. Playing games and chasing Pokymens! They won bc that is not what BlackBerry is all about, but that's what most people are about now, whether grownups or kids.

I am glad it was not a reason for BlackBerry to give up. I still got my favorite phone, and it still works.

(I left the world of computers myself bc I was sick of fighting off getting hacked. Thank God for Blackberry ; ) I am not moving on until i am forced to. And it sure doesn't look like I need a bigger and better phone every couple of years, I buy extras because I like them, not because I need to replace them.
    10-05-16 06:11 PM
    I don't think Chen's familiarity with the handsets is an issue. Its more about BB management and Chen not having a clear, concise vision of what they expected the phones to do for the company, and what the phones had to offer consumers. Fortunately they have a better handle on the software. I do get the impression that a handset strategy is starting to emerge. Chen's comment about beginnings should be seen as a good sign.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 07:01 PM

I think Chen does have a vision. It's just that his vision doesn't include making phones. Instead, his vision includes products that are a much better use of resources in a company of BlackBerry's current size.
    howarmat, web99, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    10-05-16 09:38 PM
    I think Chen does have a vision. It's just that his vision doesn't include making phones. Instead, his vision includes products that are a much better use of resources in a company of BlackBerry's current size.
    100% this....heck even without the license deals they are working on I think BB will be fine. Different direction for sure and not what people on hear want to see but it will keep BB as a company going just fine.
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    10-05-16 09:54 PM
90 ... 234