My organization is eventually moving to IOS,we have been using BlackBerry Solutions from the inception. We are 64000 + globally, do you think we will be staying with their MDM Solutions hereafter? The VERY short answer is no.
    What's the MDM solution with iOS? And what history does that company have that makes you think they'll be around for a decade without being acquired or folded?
    10-01-16 07:26 PM
    In isolation, it would have been better to kill the hardware immediately, yes.
    ... All that took time, and it made strategic sense to continue the money-losing hardware business (that was losing less and less money as BB was less and less involved in it) until he could get his other pieces in place.
    I agree with all of this, plus I'd add that Chen also had to burn down hundreds of millions of dollars in purchase commitments. Think of that as "use or lose" credit with suppliers. Either you forfeit that, or you use it to try some new phones while you build up the software side.

This is another reason why Android made a lot of sense. You can try new Android phone models faster and cheaper than BB10 models.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-01-16 07:32 PM
    You are still stuck on judging the whole company from the standpoint of consumer devices.

BlackBerry's EMM solution has only improved over time, and has been significantly enhanced with Good Dynamics. They are rated the top in every single security category.

Plus BlackBerry is currently on a better financial footing than many other players in the EMM world.
    Do you honestly think that they can survive the bashing BlackBerry has had over the last few years and come out smelling roses? Handsets as Chen has said offered true end to end Solutions for many. The MDM Market is also highly competitive. There are many providers who have not had the kind of Brand damage.

Had Chen said, we'll we are exiting the consumer market, however, we will continue to provide our Corporate Clients the true end to end solutions that they require, that would have been a very different story.

We remain for the moment, a client ...but we too must transition.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 08:14 PM
    What's the MDM solution with iOS? And what history does that company have that makes you think they'll be around for a decade without being acquired or folded?
    IBM MaaS 360 , Citrix Xen Mobile. Air Watch just to start.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 08:22 PM
    I agree with all of this, plus I'd add that Chen also had to burn down hundreds of millions of dollars in purchase commitments. Think of that as "use or lose" credit with suppliers. Either you forfeit that, or you use it to try some new phones while you build up the software side.

This is another reason why Android made a lot of sense. You can try new Android phone models faster and cheaper than BB10 models.
    Nobody wants an Android based BlackBerry. It FAILED.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 08:23 PM
    He had to drag things out long enough to build up the software. No one at BlackBerry had any illusions that those devices would save the company.
    Chen continually lied about future BB10 production and support while trying to move their inventory of overproduced BB10 lemons--AFTER the decision to dump it had been made. That's not how it's done, and corporate CIOs know it. 10.3.3 is not a 'fanboi' issue. It's an issue of trust, the very thing Chen is trying and failing to peddle. He's recognized the trees of cash flow, but not the forest of credibility. The latter failing will dog him and the company post-hardware.

That's similar to why his PlayBook non-answers are so troubling. That was the last device a lot of the general public remember about BlackBerry. Chen could fairly easily spin a line of B.S. about PlayBook-BB10-Android being some corporate evolution of 'growing into modern mobile' or somesuch, culminating in a software focus where a genuine niche exists. Instead, he acts like since the loss-of-trust began prior to his tenure, that it doesn't matter. Chen is merely the representative of the brand, not the brand itself. He looks awful when he does this.

And what's the deal with the Chen apologists giving a pass because he's 'uncomfortable in front of the camera and in interviews' (paraphrase of frequently seen sentiment)? It's like giving a pass to a surgeon with the shakes who is also scared of blood, or to an attorney afraid of public speaking. It's ludicrous even to suggest it, yet some Church of BB True Believers still try to push it.

So here we have a global CEO with all the charisma and foresight of a junior accountant. The dumping of hardware is just another cost-cutting amputation (and necessary, albeit belated). But the new 'software-focused' BlackBerry is going to compete and succeed against much larger, better financed, and actually competent firms in the enterprise software space? It's like trying to watch one of these 'transgendered,' mentally ill men compete with real women in a beauty contest.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jack Chin; 10-01-16 at 08:37 PM.
    Slash82 likes this.
    10-01-16 08:27 PM
    It does, one did not come without the other, knowing BB screwd PB owners he would not have screwed BB10 owners and knowing BB screwed itself on BBOS hardware, all these things matter to decisions made in his time.

That interview is very telling of a CEO who understands little of where, who, what and when, people dont leave their trust in people like that in life, the more the man speaks the more he has proved he is not the man for BB
    The ONLY thing Chen used to do and still does well, is speaking for ages without saying ANYthing.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 09:16 PM
    BB is actually in a strong position with MDM software right now - largely because of the GOOD acquisition. But I don't think Chen in counting on that particular business to sustain BB indefinitely. Just as with BB Radar, I think you're going to see a number of new products over the second half of the decade that will move BB further away from consumer products and focus it on B2B and B2E solutions. BB has never dealt well with individual consumers - and never wanted to - and now they'll be going back to dealing with (mostly big) businesses and leaving the hassles of the fickle consumer business behind them.
    I don't disagree with this. It's certainly the path of least resistance. I do question whether they can actually come up with significant products and then capitalize on the potential, staving off aggressive market followers. And I do wish them well.

I still believe the general game plan is to re-position the company into a saleable position, built on enterprise solutions. To the extent Chen has a wheelhouse, this is it. We shall see.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 02:37 AM
    Had Chen said, we'll we are exiting the consumer market, however, we will continue to provide our Corporate Clients the true end to end solutions that they require, that would have been a very different story.

We remain for the moment, a client ...but we too must transition.
    Are you saying that your company has 64K+ BlackBerry devices that will be replaced with iOS devices because BlackBerry hasn't made it clear that they'll continue to build devices for enterprise for end-to-end security? Instead, the company will move to iOS with a third party mobile security solution, with the "idea" that Apple is providing better security because it's "end-to-end" where Apple builds the device and a third party provides the security?
    10-02-16 03:06 AM
    IBM MaaS 360 , Citrix Xen Mobile. Air Watch just to start.
    How does BlackBerry losing money quarter after quarter on hardware change their viability against these companies?

Which of these companies phones will you be buying to get that end-to-end security solution?
    10-02-16 03:09 AM
    Chen continually lied about future BB10 production and support while trying to move their inventory of overproduced BB10 lemons--AFTER the decision to dump it had been made. That's not how it's done, and corporate CIOs know it. 10.3.3 is not a 'fanboi' issue. It's an issue of trust, the very thing Chen is trying and failing to peddle. He's recognized the trees of cash flow, but not the forest of credibility. The latter failing will dog him and the company post-hardware.

That's similar to why his PlayBook non-answers are so troubling. That was the last device a lot of the general public remember about BlackBerry. Chen could fairly easily spin a line of B.S. about PlayBook-BB10-Android being some corporate evolution of 'growing into modern mobile' or somesuch, culminating in a software focus where a genuine niche exists. Instead, he acts like since the loss-of-trust began prior to his tenure, that it doesn't matter. Chen is merely the representative of the brand, not the brand itself. He looks awful when he does this.

And what's the deal with the Chen apologists giving a pass because he's 'uncomfortable in front of the camera and in interviews' (paraphrase of frequently seen sentiment)? It's like giving a pass to a surgeon with the shakes who is also scared of blood, or to an attorney afraid of public speaking. It's ludicrous even to suggest it, yet some Church of BB True Believers still try to push it.

So here we have a global CEO with all the charisma and foresight of a junior accountant. The dumping of hardware is just another cost-cutting amputation (and necessary, albeit belated). But the new 'software-focused' BlackBerry is going to compete and succeed against much larger, better financed, and actually competent firms in the enterprise software space? It's like trying to watch one of these 'transgendered,' mentally ill men compete with real women in a beauty contest.

Good luck!
    Spring comes after Winter. Summer follows the Spring. The Fall is a lovely time.
    10-02-16 03:17 AM
    The ONLY thing Chen used to do and still does well, is speaking for ages without saying ANYthing.
    Did you read the post before yours?
    10-02-16 03:17 AM
    I don't disagree with this. It's certainly the path of least resistance. I do question whether they can actually come up with significant products and then capitalize on the potential, staving off aggressive market followers. And I do wish them well.

I still believe the general game plan is to re-position the company into a saleable position, built on enterprise solutions. To the extent Chen has a wheelhouse, this is it. We shall see.
    Duh.
    10-02-16 03:19 AM
    Wow! That was a fun read. It is obvious some of you guys have a hatred for Chen for things he couldn't control. We all wished bb10 succeeded but it didn't. The developers gave BlackBerry the middle finger because they were too little too late with bb10. Android and iOS had already cemented their place as the dominant platforms. I don't think Chen is perfect by an means but you guys have to understand business. He doesn't just make decisions to please us. That would be great if true but it isn't. Blackberry is still alive well past what many thought it would be. It's time to move on and look for another phone company to fulfill your needs if you feel blackberry can't do it. The world will keeps spinning life will go on.

"PKB"
    10-02-16 04:49 AM
    Well he continued BB10, Android.... he threw everything to the wind, with crap hardware.... same thing that killed BBOS devices, crap hardware.

Shocking Apple brought the first fingerprint reader to market and the security EXPERT Blackberry couldn't, still hasn't!
    That's because the use of biometrics for logging in has NOTHING to do with security, but all with CONVENIENCE.
    10-02-16 06:31 AM
    That's because the use of biometrics for logging in has NOTHING to do with security, but all with CONVENIENCE.
    The typical consumer is so dumb. It just takes creative marketing which blackberry lacks.

"PKB"
    10-02-16 08:01 AM
    The typical consumer is so dumb. It just takes creative marketing which blackberry lacks.

"PKB"
    If the "typical consumer" bought BlackBerry devices, would you still think so poorly of them?
    10-02-16 10:27 AM
    Are you saying that your company has 64K+ BlackBerry devices that will be replaced with iOS devices because BlackBerry hasn't made it clear that they'll continue to build devices for enterprise for end-to-end security? Instead, the company will move to iOS with a third party mobile security solution, with the "idea" that Apple is providing better security because it's "end-to-end" where Apple builds the device and a third party provides the security?
    There isn't anyone currently providing" end to end " we move to IOS with another MDM provider as IOS is stable for the moment. There is NOT going to be any licencee that we foresee providing the type of devices that we require, especially since they are going to be Android based. We have been with BlackBerry long before BlackBerry became the device of choice for the general public, they offered end to end then too. IOS is a little more secure for our purposes after our long run with BlackBerry. We wish BlackBerry good luck.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 12:10 PM
    How does BlackBerry losing money quarter after quarter on hardware change their viability against these companies?

Which of these companies phones will you be buying to get that end-to-end security solution?
    If they truly wanted to return to their "Roots " they would be offering their Enterprise customer base, at least those who are interested the option to have BlackBerry devices that offer true end to end. It's not impossible for them to have done. Now with their brain drain, all the talent has gone over to IOS. BlackBerry can't be selective either and promote end to end security to Enterprise and then walk away. Business isn't conducted in that fashion. Trust is lost and broken, simply put.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 12:15 PM
    I completely agree. BB certainly has resources and some potential products, but they still have to manage everything well, release on time, market well, and so on - things that BB hasn't exactly shown strength in over the last 7 years or more. There's never a guarantee of success in business, but BB does have some things on its side. Let's hope it doesn't squander them.
    Jack Chin likes this.
    10-02-16 08:58 PM
    The more I look at this and weigh the information the more I think these decisions were made with acquisition in mind. They can be in the software game for the long haul if they need to be but they would love to be gobbled up.

A lean software company with products that need some work at the very worst is way more attractive than what BlackBerry was just last year. Factor in QNX and someone's going to get a gold mine.
    10-02-16 11:29 PM
    There isn't anyone currently providing" end to end " we move to IOS with another MDM provider as IOS is stable for the moment. There is NOT going to be any licencee that we foresee providing the type of devices that we require, especially since they are going to be Android based. We have been with BlackBerry long before BlackBerry became the device of choice for the general public, they offered end to end then too. IOS is a little more secure for our purposes after our long run with BlackBerry. We wish BlackBerry good luck.
    Here's what the decision looks like to me: Your company is willing to stick with BlackBerry because they provide an end-to-end solution (which no other company is currently doing) and will do so even if said end-to-end solution will run BlackBerry into the ground. Long-term viability of BlackBerry isn't a concern in this case. However, since BlackBerry is ending end-to-end, the new objective is moving to a platform that provides long-term viability... which is exactly why BlackBerry dropped hardware!

iOS may be more stable for hardware purchases, but why does that rule out BlackBerry as your MDM vendor? BlackBerry should be more stable after dropping hardware.

Who knows how this will play out, but any of the other vendors will drop their MDM solution if it becomes unprofitable for them.
    10-03-16 12:31 PM
    If they truly wanted to return to their "Roots " they would be offering their Enterprise customer base, at least those who are interested the option to have BlackBerry devices that offer true end to end. It's not impossible for them to have done. Now with their brain drain, all the talent has gone over to IOS. BlackBerry can't be selective either and promote end to end security to Enterprise and then walk away. Business isn't conducted in that fashion. Trust is lost and broken, simply put.
    I agree that they can't be promoting end-to-end as the best solution and then walk away. However, that doesn't make the solution wrong, which obviously your company is already sold on and would like to stick with. BlackBerry just can't provide that at the moment because it seems very few customers believe it's a necessity. Most customers seem to be fine with buying whatever hardware and getting a third party MDM.

BlackBerry has been saying security is important, but if they can't sell security products to survive, I wouldn't stop trusting their message because they end up selling something else. They may still believe it, but no one cares, so they have to do something else.
    10-03-16 12:38 PM
    But BB10 is done. Gone. Buried. Finished. Over.

It has no bearing on the future.
    Source?

#luvmybb10os
    10-03-16 01:01 PM
    Source?

#luvmybb10os
    The universe.
    10-03-16 01:28 PM
90 1234