Does RIM go off the Canadian Fiscal year or the U.S one? actually are they even talking about the first quarter of the fiscal year or are they talking about the regular January-december year? if not when does the first quarter of the fiscal year start for RIM?
    09-12-12 01:19 AM
    If you are referring to the expected BB10 release, it was announced by the RIM CEO that it would be in the first calender quarter of 2013.
    Balti43 likes this.
    09-12-12 09:56 AM
    First, Fiscal Years (budget years) are not set in stone and can vary wildly from entity to entity. for instance the US federal government FY begins on 1 October and ends 30 September. Most municipal agencies in the state of Connecticut have a FY that begins on 1 July and ends on 30 June. For the vast majority of companies in the United States their FY is the same as a standard calendar year (1 January - 31 December). Fiscal years can also vary from country to country: Myanmar begins on 1 March, India begins on 1 April, etc.....)

To answer your question regarding RIM their fiscal calendar for FY 2013 is as follows

Q1 end date - 2 June 2012
    Q2 end date - 1 Sept 2012
    Q3 end date - 1 Dec 2012
    Q4 end date - 2 Mar 2013
    Balti43 likes this.
    09-12-12 10:40 AM
    Does RIM go off the Canadian Fiscal year or the U.S one?
    I didn't even know they had different FY's in each country. Is this true?
    09-12-12 10:57 AM
    Ok, having worked in Canada and dealt with US companies:

The VAST majority of companies, publicly or privately held, operate on an April 1-March 30 year, this is due to tax seasons.

So Q1 2013 would be April-June in this speak.

HOWEVER RIM has confirmed that they are talking Calendar Q1 (Jan-Mar) and Thor has dropped several times that it was an approx 6 week delay from beginning of Dec. Which means middle of Jan. 2013.
    09-12-12 11:12 AM
    Oh yes.... That is true. In India, just as in Canada and US, each company can have their own financial year

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    09-12-12 11:14 AM
    The VAST majority of companies, publicly or privately held, operate on an April 1-March 30 year, this is due to tax seasons.
    I too have worked in Canada all of my career and mostly for US companies. ALL have used the calendar year for their FY.

I guess it depends on the industry. I know retailers use a FY that does not end on 12/31 simply because of the holiday season cut-off. All the companies I worked for have been manufacturers.

Also, don't forget that in Canada corporate taxes are due 6 months after their FY end. So I don't think that plays into their choice of FY.
    09-12-12 11:21 AM
    Oh yes.... That is true. In India, just as in Canada and US, each company can have their own financial year

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I'm aware of that. But your comment implied that RIM's FY in Canada was different from their US FY, which I doubt.
    09-12-12 11:23 AM
    Does RIM go off the Canadian Fiscal year or the U.S one? actually are they even talking about the first quarter of the fiscal year or are they talking about the regular January-december year? if not when does the first quarter of the fiscal year start for RIM?

RIM and any other company's fiscal year "is an accounting period of 365(6) days that does not necessarily correspond to the calendar year beginning on January 1st. The fiscal year is the established period of time when an organization's annual financial records commence and conclude".

not the Canadian fiscal year or the U.S. one.
    09-12-12 01:53 PM
    Canadian businesses that have a fiscal year end in the last 4 (or 6?) months of the calendar year allow short term incentives to be carried into the following calendar year. There are tax reasons for this.
    09-12-12 01:56 PM
    Yep in the US at least company's Fiscal Year calendars often don't coincide with the Gregorian calendar. Microsoft's FY runs July 1 to June 30 as I recall.
    09-12-12 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD