I was watching CNN the other day and a story unrelated to communications came on. To demonstrate to the audience that the interview was being conducted by phone the news room displayed a generic graphic of a BlackBerry behind the news Anchor as the individual was being interviewed.

What I noticed caught my attention. They used a BlackBerry.

Then it hit me that although RIM may be on the horns of a dilemma now the BlackBerry form is iconic in cellular communication, and more often than not is used worldwide symbolically whenever a visual representation of a cellular telephone is required for news outlets - be it print or electronic.

This is a huge legacy of RIM's.
    07-20-12 09:32 AM
    I would rather think this would be more the legacy of stock photography. It is highly doubtful that any real thought went into the decision of which graphic to put up.
    07-20-12 09:53 AM
    Is that trackballed version you attached in the one used in the interview background?
    07-20-12 09:55 AM
    Is that trackballed version you attached in the one used in the interview background?
    Most news outlets use images of older models so that would not surprise me much.
    07-20-12 10:00 AM
    The guardian for reasons that are never clear to me often uses that well known and highly successful phone, the palm pixi...

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Last edited by cgk; 07-20-12 at 11:42 AM.
    07-20-12 11:40 AM
    I guess it's because people can at least identify the blackberry as a phone. People would get all confused if they put some touchscreen phone up there. It would just look like a shiny slab of glass.
    07-20-12 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD