So, as I'm sure it was for a lot of people, TCL's latest news was a bit jarring, albeit somewhat unsurprising to me.

I currently have the Key2 Red Edition (I believe it's the single-SIM version) that I purchased in October of this past year. It's a fantastic phone, and I obviously still have some runway with the warranty. With that in mind, I'm just looking for y'all's honest advice on whether you think I should keep using this device or sell it and flip to a new phone.

I'm sure it all comes down to device preference (and I really hate the idea of losing a PKB), but with the potential for regular security patches to go away entirely, and this phone still holding its value well, I'm wondering what you guys would do.
    Chris Townsend3 likes this.
    02-08-20 09:09 AM
    What wrong with the Phone? Any major issues/hardware problems? If there are no issue, keep using it till it dies.
    02-08-20 09:32 AM
    What wrong with the Phone? Any major issues/hardware problems? If there are no issue, keep using it till it dies.
    Nope, nothing wrong with it at all at this point. Been nothing short of fantastic -- the idea of losing regular security patches kind of irks me though.
    02-08-20 09:38 AM
    Nope, nothing wrong with it at all at this point. Been nothing short of fantastic -- the idea of losing regular security patches kind of irks me though.
    Well, nothing has changed with respect to patches. It was always 24 months since initial device launch which brings it to this spring/summer. The recent announcement changes nothing, except for the fact that they have committed to supporting the product until at least Aug 2022.
    02-08-20 09:42 AM
    So, as I'm sure it was for a lot of people, TCL's latest news was a bit jarring, albeit somewhat unsurprising to me.

I currently have the Key2 Red Edition (I believe it's the single-SIM version) that I purchased in October of this past year. It's a fantastic phone, and I obviously still have some runway with the warranty. With that in mind, I'm just looking for y'all's honest advice on whether you think I should keep using this device or sell it and flip to a new phone.

I'm sure it all comes down to device preference (and I really hate the idea of losing a PKB), but with the potential for regular security patches to go away entirely, and this phone still holding its value well, I'm wondering what you guys would do.
    I would personally flip it ASAP for a higher price. If you want to stay with Android then maybe look at the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S20 or the current Galaxy Note10, that should be well worth the upgrade.

If you don’t mind iOS, then iPhone 11 Pro.
    02-08-20 09:43 AM
    Given the prices that it's currently commanding , I'd hang on to that red rocket as it will forever be known as the last BlackBerry device.
    the_boon likes this.
    Ahh Security (Blanket) Patches......Phone is only as secure as you want it to be.....
    Well it's unlikely to turn into a stone anytime soon so keep using it until said time you decide to opt for another device. If your preferences are a PKB, simply carry on.

The majority of devices out there still only receive support for 2-years, if lucky, so why worry yourself over it. I never base my choice of devices solely on their support/resale value down the road, if I did our choice would have been very limited... Own a couple of Huawei devices and after the hoopla that happened in May of last year I just carried on. Working out well for me and couldn't be happier doing so.
    02-08-20 09:48 AM
    I would personally flip it ASAP for a higher price. If you want to stay with Android then maybe look at the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S20 or the current Galaxy Note10, that should be well worth the upgrade.

If you don’t mind iOS, then iPhone 11 Pro.
    Why now? Nothing has changed with respect to support/patches.
    Elky64 likes this.
    02-08-20 09:50 AM
    Well you jumped onboard very late in the game with a device that had already seen 2/3 of its support so not sure why there's concern now... Remaining security patches will likely play out so not much will have changed.
    02-08-20 10:30 AM
    Well you jumped onboard very late in the game with a device that had already seen 2/3 of its support so not sure why there's concern now... Remaining security patches will likely play out so not much will have changed.
    I had the original Key2 for about a year before that. When the spacebar started acting up, I jumped on the Red Edition and broke even once I sold my original Key2 replacement. Not late at all from my perspective.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-08-20 12:01 PM
    I had the original Key2 for about a year before that. When the spacebar started acting up, I jumped on the Red Edition and broke even once I sold my original Key2 replacement. Not late at all from my perspective.
    Still just another colour of the same device that launched in June of 2018.
    02-08-20 12:06 PM
    Why now? Nothing has changed with respect to support/patches.
    With phones the sooner you sell the more you can get for it.
    02-08-20 12:12 PM

The only real security threat that any smartphone user has to face is their own self. There are no known OTA threats for any device.

The threat model for carelessness, being misinformed, or simply not reading before you access a public network is extremely high. Articles that promote suppositions "you COULD face..." , "this MIGHT happen...", and blah blah blah, is not confirmation that a device attack HAS or DID actually happen. A meteor COULD destroy the planet. The fact that BlackBerry phones in its current state, is so NOT on any villains radar IS all the security you and any other BlackBerry handset user will ever need. Lack of actual interest is the best security there is. Hug your phone and cherish it.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-08-20 12:21 PM
    Wouldn't that apply to just about anything? I buy my phones to use and not in anticipation I can get a good $ month(s) down the road. Like already mentioned, it'll likely be fully functional for quite some time to come so why throw that away if it's the OP's preferred form-factor?
    the3maples likes this.
    02-08-20 12:27 PM
    OK not late then but you knew support is/was possibly coming to an end as of July/Aug 2020. Even with the recent announcement likely nothing has changed on that front.
    02-08-20 12:32 PM
    Sure, but that was the same last week and the week before that.
    02-08-20 12:38 PM
    Unless they become collectors pieces like the Blackberry probably will be.
    02-08-20 01:39 PM
    OK not late then but you knew support is/was possibly coming to an end as of July/Aug 2020. Even with the recent announcement likely nothing has changed on that front.
    Actually TCL have committed to support until August 2022. Which incidentally will be the 3-year Marker to meet with their Google Enterprise ready commitments
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 02-08-20 at 02:05 PM.
    02-08-20 01:41 PM
    Actually TCL have committed to support until August 2022. Which foot incidentally be the 3-year Marker to meet with their Google Enterprise ready commitments
    No.

Support means technical and repair service. Patches will stop between now and summer.

Incidentally, the 3 year mark would have been June 2021 if they had been adhering to the Enterprise Recommended requirements - which they haven't been adhering to from the start.
    John Albert likes this.
    02-08-20 01:47 PM
    No.

Support means technical and repair service. Patches will stop between now and summer.

Incidentally, the 3 year mark would have been June 2021 if they had been adhering to the Enterprise Recommended requirements - which they haven't been adhering to from the start.
    Where did you get information about the patches stopping? Prior to the end of this period August 2022. I've seen nothing from Blackberry concerning the ending off poaching. And nothing from BlackBerry mobile. Just pure speculation and these forums.
    There is nothing about the earlier discontinuation of patching in this statement.
    Blackberry Mobile ~ “Indeed our KEY Series smartphones, starting with KEYone, were highly-anticipated by the BlackBerry community. What made these devices great wasn't just the hardware developed and manufactured by TCL Communication, but also the critical security and software features provided by BlackBerry Limited to ensure these were genuine BlackBerry devices. The support of BlackBerry Limited was an essential element to bringing devices like BlackBerry KEYone,
    Motion, KEY2 and KEY2 LE to life and we're proud to have partnered with them these past few years on those projects.
    We do regret to share however that as of August 31, 2020, TCL Communication will no longer be selling BlackBerry-branded
    mobile devices. TCL Communication has no further rights to design, manufacture or sell any new BlackBerry mobile devices,
    however TCL Communication will continue to provide support for the existing portfolio of mobile devices including customer
    service and warranty service until August 31, 2022 - or for as long as required by local laws where the mobile device was
    purchased.”
    02-08-20 02:11 PM
    No.

Key2Red came out in 2019.
    02-08-20 02:13 PM
    Where did you get information about the patches stopping? Prior to the end of this period August 2022. I've seen nothing from Blackberry concerning the ending off poaching. And nothing from BlackBerry mobile. Just pure speculation and these forums.
    There is nothing about the earlier discontinuation of patching in this statement.
    Blackberry Mobile ~ “Indeed our KEY Series smartphones, starting with KEYone, were highly-anticipated by the BlackBerry community. What made these devices great wasn't just the hardware developed and manufactured by TCL Communication, but also the critical security and software features provided by BlackBerry Limited to ensure these were genuine BlackBerry devices. The support of BlackBerry Limited was an essential element to bringing devices like BlackBerry KEYone,
    Motion, KEY2 and KEY2 LE to life and we're proud to have partnered with them these past few years on those projects.
    We do regret to share however that as of August 31, 2020, TCL Communication will no longer be selling BlackBerry-branded
    mobile devices. TCL Communication has no further rights to design, manufacture or sell any new BlackBerry mobile devices,
    however TCL Communication will continue to provide support for the existing portfolio of mobile devices including customer
    service and warranty service until August 31, 2022 - or for as long as required by local laws where the mobile device was
    purchased.”
    Isn’t Google dropping Oreo support in the near term?
    02-08-20 02:13 PM
    Key2Red came out in 2019.
    The colour did but its still a KEY2 launched in mid-2018. Essentially support is tied with original launch of KEY2.
    02-08-20 02:32 PM
    What made these devices great wasn't just the hardware developed and manufactured by TCL Communication, but also the critical security and software features provided by BlackBerry Limited to ensure these were genuine BlackBerry devices.
    Well I can vouch firsthand my Motion's security patches started to waver mid-2018 from their consistent monthly pace prior. Was the first sign for me things were beginning to falter. Then the subsequent delays, missed opportunities, lack of device availability/stock, and so on, just solidified my suspicions. And here we are today. So the signs were there for everyone to see.
    02-08-20 02:47 PM
62 123