talk to more people and you will see frustration with Virtual keyboards. My friend was complaining about how he couldnt log into his kijiji app right in front of me yesterday because "the keyboard is too damn small on his iphone 5S and causing errors." Plus you NEED auto correct to save you on glass because no glass keyboard is as fast or accurate as a physical keyboard! Glass cannot keep up to the speed skills you acquire as you get faster and faster in typing skills. Just because the trend is virtual, don't generalize everyone and clump them into one group. Blackberry has/had LOYALTY BECAUSE of the physical keyboards

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Everyone who NEEDS a pkb can buy a Passport or a Priv. But they stay with iPhones or Androids. Why aren't they scooping up Blackberrys?

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    03-26-16 11:38 PM
    Everyone who NEEDS a pkb can buy a Passport or a Priv. But they stay with iPhones or Androids. Why aren't they scooping up Blackberrys?

because people want APPS, people get bored with their phones AND Blackberries arent "cool" right now. People forget phones are a phone FIRST but they demand they are "cool" and play the latest games. People want a TOY to play with, not a serious device.

People also want "simplicity" and Apple makes iphones to be as simple to use as possible, compared to say.....a Blackberry. A good Keyboard isn't enough anymore to keep people loyal.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-27-16 at 12:00 AM.
    03-26-16 11:41 PM
    People are willing to take a step back to get a bigger screen so they can better watch their dirty movies.

Same reason VHS beat Betamax.

Also, marketing. All the idiots only know what they are told to know. BlackBerry doesn't advertise so all the know-nothings believe this product must be dead and gone. BlackBerry has dug itself so deep that I don't know what they can do. The Z30 and Passport should have been marketed greatly but weren't. At least not around here. (DC area/USA). People need to be told they must have and want a product. The public has no desire for a BlackBerry anymore. In its prime, only important business people really had Blackberries, so people wanted to have that "exclusiveness". Now you can get a iphone that can do everything a BlackBerry can just good enough for the masses, oh and here are a gazillion apps to distract you from any complaints.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

BlackBerry tried to make a sound but no one was around ( sort of)

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 11:59 PM
    because people want APPS, people get bored with their phones AND Blackberries arent "cool" right now. People forget phones are a phone FIRST but they demand they are "cool" and play the latest games. People want a TOY to play with, not a serious device.

This is an awfully naive way of viewing the phone market. When ~99% of the market is buying virtual keyboards, it's inevitable that more than a few of those people are using them for work. I've done it before too - it's really not as far-fetched as many seem to believe around here. Given a bit of practice, and a reasonably-sized phone, virtual keyboards can be plenty quick and accurate.

There are also unique virtual keyboards like Swype or SwiftKey Flow, where you swipe from letter to letter to form each word - I've seen quite a few people type absurdly fast with that tech, and all with impeccable spelling and grammar. If you can master that, I doubt you're going to miss a physical keyboard much.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-27-16 12:02 AM
    This is an awfully naive way of viewing the phone market. When ~99% of the market is buying virtual keyboards, it's inevitable that more than a few of those people are using them for work. I've done it before too - it's really not as far-fetched as many seem to believe around here. Given a bit of practice, and a reasonably-sized phone, virtual keyboards can be plenty quick and accurate.
    Swiftkey keyboards aside, what drives the market (and you wont like this) are teenagers. What they deem "cool" is what sells. PERIOD! To Teenagers, Blackberries are for old men who have buisnesses and they are "BORING." But the truth is there are not enough Blackberries sold simply because they aren't "cool."

Maybe you are the one that is naive. I never said people arent buying Virtual keyboard phones, I said physical keyboards are more accurate and provide better feedback. Instead of typing 20 pages to sum it up, here is your answer....

http://www.cnet.com/news/smartphones...f-teen-market/

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-27-16 at 12:24 AM.
    03-27-16 12:09 AM
    Given a bit of practice, and a reasonably-sized phone, virtual keyboards can be plenty quick and accurate.
    I can agree to this partially, practice makes anything better, but if Virtual keyboards were perfect, they would not have tried to develop this technology for glass keyboards....

http://www.cnet.com/news/a-keyboard-...touch-screens/

03-27-16 12:16 AM
    Swiftkey keyboards aside, what drives the market (and you wont like this) are teenagers. What they deem "cool" is what sells. PERIOD! To Teenagers, Blackberries are for old men who have buisnesses and they are "BORING." But the truth is there are not enough Blackberries sold simply because they aren't "cool."

Maybe you are the one that is naive. I never said people arent buying Virtual keyboard phones, I said physical keyboards are more accurate and provide better feedback. Instead of typing 20 pages to sum it up, here is your answer....

Smartphones commandeer 70 percent of teen market - CNET

"Young adults" is, as shown in the very story you linked to, the biggest smartphone demographic - 79 per cent of them own smartphones, 85 per cent according to more recent figures I've seen. Those people are going to be studying, employed, or seeking employment. They'll likely be doing some kind of work on their smartphones.

Teenagers are nearly as big a market, sure, but not all of them buy exclusively what's hip either - especially since it's not usually their money being spent. And for many of them their phone is a tool to communicate with friends - games don't have to be a consideration. Rarely are in my experience, actually. But communicating with friends in 2016 can include things like Snapchat, WhatsApp, or Instagram, hence the importance of apps.

I can agree to this partially, practice makes anything better, but if Virtual keyboards were perfect, they would not have tried to develop this technology for glass keyboards....

A keyboard that rises up from flat touch screens - CNET

Putting aside the fact that this tech doesn't seem to have gained any traction, virtual keyboards don't have to be perfect. Physical keyboards never have been either. So long as they can cater to a majority of people in a majority of scenarios, they've done their job.
    03-27-16 12:39 AM

Teenagers are nearly as big a market, sure, but not all of them buy exclusively what's hip either.
    I agree and have no problem with anything you said except this. True NOT ALL Teenagers ALWAYS buy what is "hip or cool" but the fact that MOST of them do actually drives the market right now. Marketing is very simple.....what is cool SELLS. It didn't help that Blackberry had the most lame tv commercials of any device company, especially the one with the middle aged woman talking about the fact she could text 1000 times a day with her Blackberry while standing in front of her new Mini Van. It didnt help and that ain't "cool." Cool sells.

03-27-16 12:52 AM
    I agree and have no problem with anything you said except this. True NOT ALL Teenagers ALWAYS buy what is "hip or cool" but the fact that MOST of them do actually drives the market right now. Marketing is very simple.....what is cool SELLS. It didn't help that Blackberry had the most lame tv commercials of any device company, especially the one with the middle aged woman talking about the fact she could text 1000 times a day with her Blackberry while standing in front of her new Mini Van. It didnt help and that ain't "cool." Cool sells.

I don't disagree that cool sells to an extent, but I just feel you're overestimating it as a factor. Even to a teenager, there will likely be other considerations, like cost, support for popular apps, maybe a good selfie camera, etc. I know plenty of folks who thought my BlackBerry Passport was genuinely cool - the form factor stands out in a crowd - but it didn't have the apps they needed to communicate with their friends, so it wasn't even worth considering.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-27-16 01:02 AM
    I don't disagree that cool sells to an extent, but I just feel you're overestimating it as a factor. Even to a teenager, there will likely be other considerations, like cost, support for popular apps, maybe a good selfie camera, etc. I know plenty of folks who thought my BlackBerry Passport was genuinely cool - the form factor stands out in a crowd - but it didn't have the apps they needed to communicate with their friends, so it wasn't even worth considering.
    Of course. There are MANY MANY MANY factors to consider, but when we see what sells, there is only one thing that matters in the end, The Coolness Factor. BBM used to be the reason in 2005 why younger people bought Blackberries. I remember when Paris Hilton exclusively used a Blackberry in Twitter and it used to say "Blackberry" after each one of her tweets, this in turn caused other young people to buy a Blackberry and it was because of BBM. Generally speaking, not a lot of older people bothered with BBM, overall.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-27-16 at 02:32 AM.
    03-27-16 01:09 AM

Everyone who NEEDS a VKB can buy a Z30. But they stay with iPhones or Androids. Why aren't they scooping up Blackberrys?
    03-27-16 02:35 AM
    Why I love the Priv: Full screen and great physical key board. For some few things I use the virtual keyboard but find myself reverting to the PKB to have the full screen in view. Plus it is much easier to be precise.

Posted with my Priv via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-27-16 04:13 AM

People also want "simplicity" and Apple makes iphones to be as simple to use as possible, compared to say.....a Blackberry. A good Keyboard isn't enough anymore to keep people loyal.

#1. So if a phone is a phone first, they don't need a PKB to write long documents. That would be done on a laptop/PC, correct?

#2. Just had to bring up the "toy" word. It seems that is all some people have to fall back on when they are losing their argument.

#3. I would agree that a PKB is, for a lot of people, more accurate than a VKB. But for the overall smartphone experience, whatever that may be for all of us individually, a PKB makes little difference.
    JeepBB, MikeX74, Ronindan and 1 others like this.
    03-27-16 07:33 AM
    Why I love the Priv: Full screen and great physical key board. For some few things I use the virtual keyboard but find myself reverting to the PKB to have the full screen in view. Plus it is much easier to be precise.

Posted with my Priv via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I have not tried the Priv. How is it for speed dials & shortcuts?
    03-27-16 07:55 AM
    Everyone who NEEDS a VKB can buy a Z30. But they stay with iPhones or Androids. Why aren't they scooping up Blackberrys?
    Re-read this thread.

They want apps.
    They want to be cool.
    They hate BlackBerry. No one thinks a Z30 is cool or has apps.
    TgeekB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-27-16 11:20 AM
    I have not tried the Priv. How is it for speed dials & shortcuts?
    If they make another Android phone with a PKB, I hope it's more in the Classic form. Slide out keyboards make typing difficult because the phone becomes out of balance, at least for me.
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-27-16 11:21 AM
    Just had to bring up the "toy" word. It seems that is all some people have to fall back on when they are losing their argument.
    The rest of the world was learning back in 2007 that phones were quickly becomming TOYS and "Entertainment Devices" so I'd like to know where YOU were when it all happened. I hope you weren't too busy playing PacMan and Time pilot on your Microsoft laptop

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/...nment-devices/

03-27-16 11:28 AM
    If they make another Android phone with a PKB, I hope it's more in the Classic form. Slide out keyboards make typing difficult because the phone becomes out of balance, at least for me.
    For someone that just said "PKB's make little difference" compared to VKB's this seems a curious thing for one to say. It is always a good thing when a man knows his limitations though.

03-27-16 11:33 AM
    For someone that just said "PKB's make little difference" compared to VKB's this seems a curious thing for one to say. It is always a good thing when a man knows his limitations though.

Do you feel better now?
    03-27-16 11:37 AM
    The rest of the world was learning back in 2007 that phones were quickly becomming TOYS and "Entertainment Devices" so I'd like to know where YOU were when it all happened. I hope you weren't too busy playing PacMan and Time pilot on your Microsoft laptop

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/...nment-devices/

You, like Blackberry, didn't learn a lesson. Now you use rhetoric to defend your losing stance. Good luck.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    03-27-16 11:38 AM
    Do you feel better now?
    you drew first blood on the attack, not me. If you cannot handle a rebuttle there is the door.

03-27-16 11:38 AM
    you drew first blood on the attack, not me. If you cannot handle a rebuttle there is the door.

A bit dramatic? Spend some time in the forums before taking an aggressive stance. Have a nice day.
    03-27-16 11:39 AM
    You, like Blackberry, didn't learn a lesson. Now you use rhetoric to defend your losing stance. Good luck.
    I back up what I say and post links to prove my point. if you cannot handle it, here is a tissue

03-27-16 11:39 AM
    A bit dramatic? Spend some time in the forums before taking an aggressive stance. Have a nice day.
    the difference between YOU and me. I don't troll looking for an attack, and then claim innocense after I get owned. Have a lovely day filled with gumdrops falling from the sky.

03-27-16 11:41 AM
    My opinion is that an all touch version (same internals as the PRIV) would outsell the PRIV. I think a full PKB like the Vienna will outsell the PRIV. They should make these three phones all running Android.
    idssteve and anon(9353145) like this.
    03-27-16 12:05 PM
108 12345