My opinion is that an all touch version (same internals as the PRIV) would outsell the PRIV. I think a full PKB like the Vienna will outsell the PRIV. They should make these three phones all running Android.
    I think this may be their next move. If the Priv sold even somewhat well, it would make sense for the next phone to be what the majority uses.
    03-27-16 12:12 PM
    My opinion is that an all touch version (same internals as the PRIV) would outsell the PRIV. I think a full PKB like the Vienna will outsell the PRIV. They should make these three phones all running Android.
    I agree. I feel the three models should have launched close together instead of months apart though.
    03-27-16 12:18 PM
    Agreed. Speed dial & shortcuts are too essential to my daily productivity to consider a slider. Curious about Vienna.

Droid IS a glass oriented world and BB must established itself in that world. Failure to include a slab in that lineup would represent marketing malpractice, IMO. A Samsung slapping SuperSlab could establish droid creds for BB. They wouldn't likely be so Bold... Pun intended.

I'm just hoping we don't soon need wheels & step ladders to carry & operate what ever they release. Lol.
    03-27-16 01:31 PM
    I agree. I feel the three models should have launched close together instead of months apart though.
    I think the hardware investment would be too much all at once. Chen is definitely cautious about committing too much in hardware.

Though I don't really understand why they wouldn't have designed a Priv Lite (no pkb) with the same internals and form factor simultaneous with the Priv (as BBnivende noted). And priced it a few hundred dollars lower. With the extra space inside they could have beefed up the front facing camera and battery as well.
    Last edited by Reaney; 03-27-16 at 07:14 PM.
    03-27-16 06:56 PM
    Even i love 9900 most but since it doesn't support neither app or exchange email push so i've chosen to move to Classic.

Now ws (my main OTT) say that they'll not support BB (even 10) at the end of this year.

So no choice but i've bought iphone 6+ and will sell my classic to chase for a 2nd 9900 with cheaper price since i'm a reality guy. Can't stand spending a 450$ (in my place) phone for just email cause for sms and calling 9900 is superior!
    03-27-16 07:26 PM
    Interesting where the thread has gone. I suppose one test of my original theory will arise if Blackberry produce a PKB-less PRIV. How much can bb afford to shave off the price of the PRIV? If bb could make a credible android version of a 9900 style phone, with modern internals I would snap that up. Could they not put an app-layer on top of Android to match the 9900 form? On the other hand, if they made a pluggin keyboard for iOS I would buy that too.
    03-27-16 11:16 PM
    If they make another Android phone with a PKB, I hope it's more in the Classic form. Slide out keyboards make typing difficult because the phone becomes out of balance, at least for me.
    I also feel that it's less integrated into the OS. With a Classic, there are so many keyboard-based shortcuts and it's right there ready to be used as soon as you interact with the phone. My Priv basically has a keyboard for typing and as a trackpad for scrolling. I'd agree that the supposed Vienna should be more like a long Classic.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-29-16 07:50 AM
    I think this may be their next move. If the Priv sold even somewhat well, it would make sense for the next phone to be what the majority uses.
    People are asking for an all-touch BB Android device.. why? Thanks to Cobalt's app suite, you can essentially mimic the Priv experience, sans-PKB, on any droid.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-29-16 07:52 AM
    When a third-party company releases a nice PKB attachment for the G5, we will see what the demand for a PKB on a premium Android device is. If/when that happens, I'd expect BB to trash any plans for a Classic 2 / Droid Classic / Vienna.
    03-29-16 07:55 AM
    If you look through modern culture of the past 60 years you notice that we go through trend. Virtual keyboards are exactly that, a trend.

When smart phones post BlackBerry legacy era that had front facing cameras with the iphone everyone wanted bigger screens to look at pictures of selfies and cats...

The world has moved on and has forgotten about physical keyboards. Even though a physical keyboard has a beautiful tactile response, that and the fact humanity has been using physical keys for text input since the typewriter.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    TgeekB and georgeeipi like this.
    03-29-16 08:23 AM
    People are asking for an all-touch BB Android device.. why? Thanks to Cobalt's app suite, you can essentially mimic the Priv experience, sans-PKB, on any droid.
    Consumers and business want the real thing direct from BlackBerry.
    03-29-16 10:38 AM
    I can only speak for myself. I want to see BlackBerry do well with an all-touch android phone. Then they can have a big marketing campaign.
    03-29-16 10:43 AM
    I can only speak for myself. I want to see BlackBerry do well with an all-touch android phone. Then they can have a big marketing campaign.
    It would have to offer/do one or more of the following to bring people over :

Better specs than the Galaxy line of phones - Very unlikely BB gets into a spec-war with the state of their hardware division
    More stable version of Android OS than ios - The Priv is certainly more secure and stable, and closer to stock Android, than many Android phones out there, but whether or not BB can take it to such a stable, secure, and seamless level with only it's second iteration of an Android phone that it beats other Droids and rivals Apple's is doubtful.
    New/intriguing hardware/add-ons - As we're seeing with Samsung and Motorola's VR headsets and the G5's assortment of add-on hardware, people are willing to use their phones in new and unique ways, provided they have feasible and affordable options to do so. But.. does anyone actually see Blackberry leading the charge on something like this at this point, though?
    Best camera available - After a long line of potato cameras, the Priv is the first BB phone that has gotten the smart phone camera right. Again, doubt they can make this kind of leap with just their second droid.
    Premium build - They'll have to make leaps and bounds over the Priv to play with the big boys.
    Premium display - Unlikely they can top or match Samsung and iPhone here, but they need to improve. The Priv's screen looks washed out next to the S6 and S7.
    Unprecedented marketing campaign - Silly to even mention with this company. Not happening.

The most likely seller for BB would be to go above-average in all the above categories, ignoring the gimmicky hardware and focusing on security, build quality, and stability. Offer a sub-$550 price and try to become a player in the all-touch game. Alternate an all-touch phone with a PKB phone every six months, aka one of each every year. Re-establish a healthy and happy relationship with carriers, especially Verizon. As they become a legitimate player in the all-touch game, people will be more willing to give their PKB phones a chance. I don't think many people who aren't already aware of the Priv are glancing at it from across a carrier-store and thinking it's actually a high-spec Android phone.

None of this includes BB10. It needs to die for the company to truly move forward and contend.
    03-29-16 11:58 AM
    All of their Android devices should focus on security, build quality and stability. Build quality is very important.
    03-29-16 12:49 PM
    All of their Android devices should focus on security, build quality and stability. Build quality is very important.
    That seems to be the direction of the industry these days.

It's interesting to hear so many people, myself included, use the term "build quality", when we're still talking about devices that we have to wrap in cases and slap screen protectors on just to hold resale value.

A true quality build would be a self-healing exterior that could be dropped repeatedly from reasonable heights without causing long-term damage to the phone.
    03-29-16 01:03 PM
    I have been a loyal Blackberry user from the early days, but times have changed along with the consumer wanting more functionality from each new device.

As much as the PKB once defined the Blackberry name, this is 2016 and virtual keyboard devices are what the major majority of the market is asking for.

Look at the other device manufacturers out there and if there was a hint of a demand for a PKB device, you honestly don't think they would make one??

Look at the older Droid Pro that had a built in PKB and it never went anywhere as far as sales go. Even slider devices are no longer in demand as they once where.

I really believe Blackberry should introduce a octa-core all touch device with Marshmallow and the latest Blackberry suite and I think the device would sell as long as it was competitively priced?

All this is great to speculate, but in the real world, the corporate numbers in the next couple of quarters will determine if any new products are released and last but not least, if the hardware division survives, now it's wait and see.
    TgeekB and MikeX74 like this.
    03-29-16 03:27 PM
    I have been a loyal Blackberry user from the early days, but times have changed along with the consumer wanting more functionality from each new device.

As much as the PKB once defined the Blackberry name, this is 2016 and virtual keyboard devices are what the major majority of the market is asking for.

Look at the other device manufacturers out there and if there was a hint of a demand for a PKB device, you honestly don't think they would make one??

Look at the older Droid Pro that had a built in PKB and it never went anywhere as far as sales go. Even slider devices are no longer in demand as they once where.

I really believe Blackberry should introduce a octa-core all touch device with Marshmallow and the latest Blackberry suite and I think the device would sell as long as it was competitively priced?

All this is great to speculate, but in the real world, the corporate numbers in the next couple of quarters will determine if any new products are released and last but not least, if the hardware division survives, now it's wait and see.
    Its a chicken-or-egg question: did people stop wanting PKB's, or did Apple swoop in, tell them what's good for them, and they adapted over time, became brand-loyal to Samsung, Apple, and other touchscreen-only companies, and now don't see any viable alternatives? I can only speak to the many people who have used my Priv and longed for a real option for a PKB phone. The Priv just isn't it. I think the Vienna could be.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    03-29-16 03:35 PM
    Its a chicken-or-egg question: did people stop wanting PKB's, or did Apple swoop in, tell them what's good for them, and they adapted over time, became brand-loyal to Samsung, Apple, and other touchscreen-only companies, and now don't see any viable alternatives? I can only speak to the many people who have used my Priv and longed for a real option for a PKB phone. The Priv just isn't it. I think the Vienna could be.
    LOL. People want a cool phone with apps. That's what Apple and Android offer. Frankly, I think that other than the few die-hard pkb fans posting here in these CB threads, people found that they can get along fine without a pkb.

Even if Blackberry made a killer all-touch phone, BlackBerry as a brand is not cool. Face it. Ask your iPhone friends if they want a BlackBerry! See the reaction on their faces.
    03-29-16 03:43 PM
    LOL. People want a cool phone with apps. That's what Apple and Android offer. Frankly, I think that other than the few die-hard pkb fans posting here in these CB threads, people found that they can get along fine without a pkb.

Even if Blackberry made a killer all-touch phone, BlackBerry as a brand is not cool. Face it. Ask your iPhone friends if they want a BlackBerry! See the reaction on their faces.
    I know all the ones I've talked to (nation's capital, US) would love to return to a PKB. They "like" the Priv but most comment that the slider isn't for them.
    03-29-16 03:47 PM
    It would have to offer/do one or more of the following to bring people over :

Better specs than the Galaxy line of phones - Very unlikely BB gets into a spec-war with the state of their hardware division
    More stable version of Android OS than ios - The Priv is certainly more secure and stable, and closer to stock Android, than many Android phones out there, but whether or not BB can take it to such a stable, secure, and seamless level with only it's second iteration of an Android phone that it beats other Droids and rivals Apple's is doubtful.
    New/intriguing hardware/add-ons - As we're seeing with Samsung and Motorola's VR headsets and the G5's assortment of add-on hardware, people are willing to use their phones in new and unique ways, provided they have feasible and affordable options to do so. But.. does anyone actually see Blackberry leading the charge on something like this at this point, though?
    Best camera available - After a long line of potato cameras, the Priv is the first BB phone that has gotten the smart phone camera right. Again, doubt they can make this kind of leap with just their second droid.
    Premium build - They'll have to make leaps and bounds over the Priv to play with the big boys.
    Premium display - Unlikely they can top or match Samsung and iPhone here, but they need to improve. The Priv's screen looks washed out next to the S6 and S7.
    Unprecedented marketing campaign - Silly to even mention with this company. Not happening.

The most likely seller for BB would be to go above-average in all the above categories, ignoring the gimmicky hardware and focusing on security, build quality, and stability. Offer a sub-$550 price and try to become a player in the all-touch game. Alternate an all-touch phone with a PKB phone every six months, aka one of each every year. Re-establish a healthy and happy relationship with carriers, especially Verizon. As they become a legitimate player in the all-touch game, people will be more willing to give their PKB phones a chance. I don't think many people who aren't already aware of the Priv are glancing at it from across a carrier-store and thinking it's actually a high-spec Android phone.

None of this includes BB10. It needs to die for the company to truly move forward and contend.
    Good points. If only...
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-29-16 04:09 PM

It would take a near miracle for Blackberry to make a hardware comeback. With Android they at least have a chance, though it's hard to compete with the current crop.
    Maybe we'll know more in a few days.
    03-29-16 04:12 PM
    Apple and Samsung delivered a product that the consumer asked and are being rewarded for it, plain and simple business concepts 101. Nobody forced anything on anyone, I remember when Blackberry had 50% of the market here in the USA and failed to see the market changing.

The worst part about it is that they had the resources and capital to make it happen at that point in time and lacked the vision to do so, the rest is history.
    MikeX74 and TgeekB like this.
    03-29-16 04:20 PM
    Apple and Samsung delivered a product that the consumer asked and are being rewarded for it, plain and simple business concepts 101. Nobody forced anything on anyone, I remember when Blackberry had 50% of the market here in the USA and failed to see the market changing.

The worst part about it is that they had the resources and capital to make it happen at that point in time and lacked the vision to do so, the rest is history.
    Marvel concept, eh?
    bakron1 likes this.
    03-29-16 04:36 PM

Agreed, but if you make a superior product and remove a feature that people may still want, it doesn't mean that they automatically no longer want that feature, they just find the overall product to be better and will purchase it. If that feature was brought back on an equivalent or better product, they may then purchase the new product. Does the general public or vast majority want a PKB? I seriously doubt it. But I will strongly assert that there is enough of a market that a profit could be turned from a high-quality, fixed-keyboard android phone with solid specs.

The best analogy for the PKB and VKB is manual vs automatic cars. Automatic cars have been adopted by a vast majority of the general public, to the point that most people have no experience with a manual. However, manuals offer more control and an enhanced experience and accuracy, the same as a PKB. Is the average automatic car driver going to become a manual car driver? Nope. Would someone who has experience with a manual and fond memories of driving one buy a manual car again at the right price and if it was a tempting enough overall package? Many would.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-29-16 05:00 PM
    That seems to be the direction of the industry these days.

It's interesting to hear so many people, myself included, use the term "build quality", when we're still talking about devices that we have to wrap in cases and slap screen protectors on just to hold resale value.

A true quality build would be a self-healing exterior that could be dropped repeatedly from reasonable heights without causing long-term damage to the phone.
    To me build quality means no lifting screens, no light leaking screens, battery runs cool, no clicking sounds, PKB lasts for at least two years, camera always focuses, quality of unit not based on date made or country of origin. I could go on but you get my drift.
    03-29-16 06:16 PM
108 ... 2345