02-02-13 11:39 AM
56 123
tools
    I received an Email from Consumer Reports saying that they might publish my letter to the editor in a future issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 10:08 AM
    Do you really want a comparison done between the curve and SIII note 2 and iPhone 5?
    Of course! We need to remind the general public how backwards Blackberry's are compared to the competition!

Those upset: Be careful what you wish for!

I've found Consumer Reports reliable in the past and I'm sure other people do as well. Their publication's sales are based on their unbiased (perceived or real) reputation. If they lose that, they lose their customers... much like RIM's reputation is based on security. If there is any perceived bias with a Consumer Reports' article, I'm sure they would correct it as quickly as possible... much like how RIM patched up the rooting hack.
    12-18-12 12:49 PM
    FYI, majority of magazines and tv are biased. It's always swayed towards advertisers and sponsors...
    This is a myth. Consumers Reports does not accept advertising. They have their own labs and come to their own conclusions. However, their circulation, like other magazines, is shrinking, and they have been caught in making sensationalism reports to boost circulation.

I worked at Consumers Digest (not Consumers Reports) which does accept advertising and the editors have absolutely no connection with the Advertising Departments and are not swayed by them. If a product received a "Best Buy" rating, the manufacturer can purchase a "Best Buy" marketing package which enables them to use the award in their national advertising campaigns. Most of the advertisers in CD were autos and financial institutions.

Magazines are a two edged sword. The advertiser needs the readership that the publication provides for exposure, and the publisher needs the advertising in order to be profitable. Unless the product gets a very negative review, which is unlikely, the reviews and advertyisements do not cross paths.

Editors of major publications do try and present an unbiased review. That's what readers expect. This is why most consumers go to trusted pubs such as USA Today, NY Times, Consumers Reports (though not as much) and other mainstream pubs. There are few unbiased tech sites, with the best being arstechnica and the worst being Gizmodo, BGR and Engadget. These free sites depend on "hits" and often feature negative articles on products no matter how good they are as hit bait.
    12-18-12 02:52 PM
    I received an Email from Consumer Reports saying that they might publish my letter to the editor in a future issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Good work! You probably got this by being more diplomatic than I would have been,
    12-18-12 05:48 PM
    Well at least Consumer Reports has acknowledged BlackBerry 10 and given it a good review:

BlackBerry Z10 first look review: It's an appealing Apple and Android alternative
    02-02-13 10:43 AM
    It's a good review but they still may have missed the intention of the UI a little when, at the end, they say " this great phone could be made a little better with the restoring the home button, or some other direct shortcut to the phone's main screen"
    02-02-13 11:39 AM
56 123